Performance issues while using live TV on Samsung TV

ryderjj89

ryderjj89

Just setup Locast earlier today in Emby so I could watch the locals on Emby since there isn't an app for our Samsung TVs for Locast itself.

Noticed that for the most part, the streams were good, with some glitching here and there. However, I noticed this evening that some channels were acting up wayyyy more than I would like.

To test, I went to Locast directly and played the same channel and there were no problems at all whatsoever. Locast's site also doesn't do any kind of rewinding or DVR or anything like that. It also doesn't look like you can disable these features in Emby and just direct play Locast without any rewind/fast forward/DVR features. I think this is what is causing issues with the stream.

Perhaps in a future release, can we have the option to completely disable rewind/fast forward/DVR and just direct play the streams? For me, this is unusable even when using my SSD as the transcode-temp folder.

Hello ryderjj89,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

ryderjj89
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, what client were you using?

How did you setup Locast in Emby?

For client, I was using the Emby app on my Samsung TV. I setup Locast using Locast2Plex. I tried Locast4Emby but the L2P files were newer.

I've tried just about every Locast 2/4 Plex/Emby out there and all seem to glitch at times.  I've not tried to figure out why as I did find a config that worked great for me during NFL season as I was able to use it to watch full NFL games for 3.5 hours with no issues.

It's not a free solution but has a 30 day trial.  So anyway what I found to work best FOR ME PERSONALLY was setting up Locast in Channels DVR and then feeding that to Emby. What ever the issue was it seems that CDVR seems to clean it up.

Anyway, don't know if that's an option or not for you but worked really well for me.

ryderjj89

Hmmmm sounds like it could work. Do you have a guide on setting this up @cayars? Would definitely like to give it a shot.

Edit: I see that they don't have a lifetime option and only monthly/yearly. I would really like to find something that is lifetime or free. Trying to lower my monthly costs here. What about NextPVR or one of the other plugins available from Emby?

Edited by ryderjj89

You would install and configure CDVR which isn't hard to do.
They have Locast built in so you can set this up as well.

Once you've tested and have CDVR working in a browser then you integrate it in Emby and this thread should cover it.

ryderjj89

Just so I can kinda show you what kind of issues I'm having, here's a 20 second example that I recorded on my phone.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmxAd68BNmv4wPZjJVUE48tF_0YBnw?e=2M7L6i

As you see here, the audio is playing, the video is stuttering and jumping all over the place. Its just not watchable at all. I've tried messing with the bitrate settings, etc and just don't know what else I can do here. I'm not going to use CDVR because you have to pay monthly or yearly for it and they don't offer a lifetime option.

I can only hope that we can get some improvements to Emby itself that will make this whole thing much better. Right now in 4.5.4.0 it's just terrible. I'm having to use my Roku just for Locast right now which I hate having to do with a Smart TV.

For giggles, I tried the Emby app on Roku to see if it would be any different than the app on my Tizen OS Samsung TV and it actually appears to be playing better. I am wondering if this is an issue with the app itself on Tizen OS. The plot thickens...?

Edited by ryderjj89
Tried Roku app

ryderjj89

Yeah. I deleted the logs so I can get fresh ones. Playing it again on the Tizen OS. Right now, I'm watching the video playing behind the audio again. On the Roku Emby app it was fine. On Tizen, its all messed up.

ryderjj89

image.png.1e8ed0424f963027ca1b41d2fbb9e3aa.png

Right now it's Direct playing and still having issues which is even more concerning and making me think the issue is with the Tizen app. Probably why it isn't generating any ffmpeg logs now.

That's just a remux or container switch which shouldn't cause any issues.
You commented it had an issue when direct playing as well?

Do you have other clients you could try?
How about just playing back in a web browser on a machine different than your server?
How does it play?

ryderjj89

I tested tonight playing on Emby through my Xbox One X, there was almost no issues at all. A couple very minor hiccups but nothing even close to what I was getting through the Tizen app. I also tested it on the Emby app on my Roku streaming stick and also had no problems at all. Using a browser on my computer also worked fine.

The more I've tested it, the more likely it seems that its something with the Tizen app causing issues. I even tried both my wireless networks (2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz) to see if either made a difference and it didn't. My Xbox is hardwired, Roku is wireless.

• 1 month later...
ryderjj89

I had started a thread about this live TV issue in the Emby Server section. After troubleshooting and trying different apps, such as the Roku app and Xbox app, it was suggested by @cayarsto create a post here. I don't want to go into everything again since it's all been stated, videos provided, etc so here's the original thread.

Here's the video example at least: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmxAd68BNmv4wPZjJVUE48tF_0YBnw?e=2M7L6i

This is occurring even while direct playing & not transcoding.

The TL;DR: Tested on Roku using Wireless (2.4 & 5 Ghz), tested on Xbox One X (ethernet), and tested on Samsung TV (2.4 & 5 Ghz). Playback was smooth on the Roku & Xbox apps, but not Samsung when testing the same channels. Emby version 4.5.4.0.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that here.  I don't have a TV running the latest Samsung so I was handicapped trying to help you.

• Like 1

Ok I've merged the topics. Please attach the emby server log from an example session. thanks.

ryderjj89
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Ok I've merged the topics. Please attach the emby server log from an example session. thanks.

I will have to download the app back to the TV and try again. You want the emby server log itself, not the directstream or transcode log?

5 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

I will have to download the app back to the TV and try again. You want the emby server log itself, not the directstream or transcode log?

All log files that are modified during the time of the test. Thanks.

ryderjj89
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

All log files that are modified during the time of the test. Thanks.

Alright I'll try to get some logs tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1