Echo show 10 with custom emby skill... Just a gimmick??

chef

chef

No way! I am a nerd who absolutely loves this thing! Totally worth it in my opinion 😜

Edited by chef
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

chef

@Luke I have a question about HLS audio streams.

As I move forward with this custom skill, I think I'd like to add the ability to play theme song music behind the overview, when it is read aloud by Alexa.

It looks like I need an api key to access HLS, however I cant build an api client in the custom skill to get a token because the skill is server side, and sessions only last 8 to 10 seconds. 

Besides creating a token in the API key section of the server, and hardcoding it into the HLS audio request... Is there another way of requesting an api key without creating a client.

Can I create an API key through an interface, use it and dispose of it when my session ends?

Edited by chef

chef

Actually.. The HLS api key on the universal endpoint (if I am referring to it properly) seems to have a key specific to it already... There is a key provided in the web app that doesn't seem to change after reloading the server. 😳 

perhaps I need more testing.

rbjtech

lol - not sure if that is cool or spooky ! 🤣

Amazing practical applications though - I presume it is using sound direction as opposed to video tracking ?     Maybe it does both - if you move without speaking does it follow you ?    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@chef Which model is this?

My Amazon Echos and Google Nest are getting jealous. :)

That has a video camera as well doesn't it?

• Haha 1

chef
1 hour ago, cayars said:

@chef Which model is this?

My Amazon Echos and Google Nest are getting jealous. :)

That has a video camera as well doesn't it?

Yes! Echo show 10. This thing is amazing. It can see users, but it also senses human presence. 🤯

Edited by chef

chef
On 4/1/2021 at 4:23 AM, rbjtech said:

lol - not sure if that is cool or spooky ! 🤣

Amazing practical applications though - I presume it is using sound direction as opposed to video tracking ?     Maybe it does both - if you move without speaking does it follow you ?    

It does, yes! LOL!

all4dom

I read an article today that amazon is fighting with ecobee. They are negotiating with ecobee about selling their products on amazon & they want ecobee to report more info through alexa even if nothing is going on. Ecobee said no & that would be intruding on customers privacy. The article also mentioned how amazon learns everything about a product then copies it & sells it cheaper. Amazon is truly the devil. I like alexa but if amazon keeps pushing it I'm thinking time to throw the bitch out. I can keep everything automated thru smartthings so no big deal. I'm also pretty sure sonos works with smartthings so I might be able keep some of my announcements.

• 4 weeks later...
blackcoffee

To answer the OP question...yes, it is just a gimmick. A horrible gimmick that tricked me into re-outfitting my entire surveillance, network, media system. But that's another story.

The echo show (5,8,10) is perfectly capable of actually playing video from your Emby server yet still is only going to act as a middle-man (2021). I admit it is pretty cool to display your videos. NOT EMBY VIDEOS. It won't even list them, much less play them. If you already know what you have, then you can instruct echo (and ANY echo device for that matter, even a $35 Echo Flex) to play them on your Emby device, which is not the SHOW that is perfectly capable, btw. 

I really have no idea what this thread is even doing here, as the video has literally  NOTHING to do with Emby. POSSIBLY, it will find & display your Emby videos on another device if you already have it up and running. I know it will act as a remote control that way. If somebody can prove me wrong, and tell me how you can get your SHOW to play Emby videos AND/OR even show you what Emby videos you have for something else to play, I'm all ears.

Edited by blackcoffee