Weak server cpu and ipad3

Schroinx

Schroinx

I have a server based on a old amd 4850e and as client a iPad 3 and a iPhone 4S. I was lead to believe that they both could decode 1080 movies, why the server would not need to transcode the stream but just serve it to the client by my 54mbit wifi. But the server starts transcoding and chokes. Even playing some lowly xvid and the CPU is pretty close to 70% utilization while it chokes on 720/1080 x264 stuff. I have tried setting it to max speed and played with the client setting to no avail. It works fine on the htpc, but then there is no transcoding taking place.

Is there some way to get them to play nicely or is new server hardware needed?

Schroinx

Yes, I see. But it think it is impractical to manually rename more than a thousand titles and then encode low res files of them all, not to mention the space it would require on my server. Then new server hardware may be a better option as it would solve it once and for all.

nydude25

I have a server based on a old amd 4850e and as client a iPad 3 and a iPhone 4S. I was lead to believe that they both could decode 1080 movies, why the server would not need to transcode the stream but just serve it to the client by my 54mbit wifi. 

If you copy the video file onto your iPad,are you able to play it that way? That may show you if the file can actually be played and whether directly streaming it is even possible.

Beardyname

Yes, I see. But it think it is impractical to manually rename more than a thousand titles and then encode low res files of them all, not to mention the space it would require on my server. Then new server hardware may be a better option as it would solve it once and for all.

yep, it's always the Time and effort vs Money approach :/

Lighthammer

First off, I'm gonna toss out here that XVID is a horrible for compatibility sake. They like to tote how compatibility they are and how great they hold their quality, but as a wrapper, I've found they're really wasted space. For someone who is a true videophile, I suppose its good, but for someone who is trying to be lean and remain as compatible as possible, its just not a good wrapper or format.

Also, 1080, while people love to tote how good it is, really is outside the visual spectrum of human eyes. The best thing you're getting at 1080 is clean crisp project right you're right smack up against a large format screen.

To be as most agile as possible, I've found 720 is probably even overkill and tend to format everything in 480 to be space conscious AND be as highly compatible as possible while being as kind to the network as possible for streaming.  

At 480, we have no problem running 5 devices off it and we're running an ATOM 1.6 GHz as our media server. Here's actually the exact motherboard I use for my media server:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT3N7AI/overview/

In full disclosure, I built the thing as a media server so what it lacks in straight computing power, I made sure it had in memory. It does have 8 GB in memory.

This is the TV we're running as our main:
http://www.vizio.com/m551da2r.html

I'd consider experimenting with your files a bit and downgrading the resolution. There's just no reason to be running them THAT high. So few people seem to realize how much that quality is outside the human visual field.

Edited by Lighthammer

Beardyname

To be as most agile as possible, I've found 720 is probably even overkill and tend to format everything in 480 to be space conscious AND be as highly compatible as possible while being as kind to the network as possible for streaming.  

I hope you are talking about playback for mobile devices... Because saying that 720p is overkill for your tv and or/computer screen etc is just pure bullshit :P

Schroinx

On my 60" I do believe I can see the difference between 1080 and 720.

I'll see if I can okay the file locally on the iPad.

True, that, Beardy.

I am looking into the possibility of new hardware. I can get a i5 750 with 8gb and a mobo used for 160USD here in Denmark. The next step seems to be a i5 2500K for about twice that eg 300USD incl ram and mobo. I am not sure how much power the 750 uses in idle compared to the 2500, as energy use is a concern when it runs 24/7.

Any ideas for CPU/mobo/memory combos that are cheaper, uses less power, but still can do the job of transcoding 1-2 streams on the fly is much appreciated.

Lighthammer

I could sit here and explain the difference between resolution, bit rate etc, but I think Michael did one of the best videos to explain much of this recently on his channel Vsauce, I highly recommend looking at:

Lighthammer

On my 60" I do believe I can see the difference between 1080 and 720.

I'll see if I can okay the file locally on the iPad.

True, that, Beardy.

I am looking into the possibility of new hardware. I can get a i5 750 with 8gb and a mobo used for 160USD here in Denmark. The next step seems to be a i5 2500K for about twice that eg 300USD incl ram and mobo. I am not sure how much power the 750 uses in idle compared to the 2500, as energy use is a concern when it runs 24/7.

Any ideas for CPU/mobo/memory combos that are cheaper, uses less power, but still can do the job of transcoding 1-2 streams on the fly is much appreciated.

You might consider giving Zotac's a good look over in your neck of the woods unless you're going to have A LOT of PCs streaming from it:

http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox/category/mini-pcs/main-category/mini-pcs.html

Their hardware is great, but I haven't tried one of their mini PCs yet. For the application of a media server, I am a little skeptical about heat generation. 

Beardyname

I could sit here and explain the difference between resolution, bit rate etc, but I think Michael did one of the best videos to explain much of this recently on his channel Vsauce, I highly recommend looking at:

Ask someone to do a blind test on that video between 480p and 720p :)

Also from that same video : http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

quote :"Looking at this chart, it is apparent that 1080p is the lowest resolution to fall within the recommended seating distance range. Any resolution less than 1080p is not detailed enough if you are sitting the proper distance from the screen. For me and many people with large projection screens, 1080p is the minimum resolution you’d want." /quote

also another good comparison : http://alteredbeast.i8.com/480vs720.html

I hope next you are not gonna tell me that there is no difference between 30vs60 fps...

I already know most of  this and it was therefore i asked: I hope you are talking about storing stuff for phones or other small devices. I usually go for high bit rate x264/5 720p content in an MKV container.

Edited by Beardyname

Beardyname

I DO encode at 2k bitrate which is enough to keep the size manageable and the quality high.

As long as you are pleased with what you have all is good :)

As a side note i prefer to have my bit rate around 10k:P (but that is for 720p and ~15k for 1080p content) 2k sounds good to me for 480p :)