Nvidia shield pro - provide Emby search results

JustEric78
Go to solution Solved by JustEric78,

JustEric78

Hello, I remember sometime back a feature was added where when searching from the Android TV home screen if I had the movie in Emby that would show in the results. At some point (and perhaps when I upgraded to the newer Nvidia box) this no longer happens. I ran into this yesterday night, but did not really dig into it until now, intentionally searching for movies I know are on Emby are not showing up in the search results. I do not think there is a setting for this that I can find at least to toggle what apps it searches. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi.  As long as you aren't running their new "Google TV" interface, you should get results.  You need to be sure you enable the app for Google searches though in the Android settings.

• Solution
JustEric78

Thanks EBR, after digging I found the setting. For anyone else that runs into this problem you go to Settings > Device Preferences >  Google Assistant > Searchable Apps . Make sure Emby is toggled on. 

Not like they buried this in the settings or anything eh @ebr haha. 

• 5 months later...
MajesticMaerlyn

Sorry to open a necro post, but with the vast majority of users being forced to the new interface some time back, can we look at this again?

I have Emby selected as a searchable app, but nothing is being returned anymore. Other apps work fine and return expected results.(smartTubeNext, YouTube, HBO, Spotify, Live Channels Plex etc). 

I am aware I can manually bypass this, by forcing uninstall or using a VPN to say Singapore (it hasn't got the update) - but that doesn't work for my technologically impaired family overseas, or potentially when nvidia and Google start shipping them with new launcher / disable roll backs etc.

Edited by MajesticMaerlyn
Typos and more information

Hi.  Nothing changed in the app and Google has not changed the API docs for this function so we're not really sure what to do at this point.  It looks like they are limiting this function to only certain apps but we haven't been able to confirm yet.

Edit: search is still functioning fine for us.  Be sure you have enabled Emby as a searchable app as indicated in the marked answer for this topic.

MajesticMaerlyn

That's a bummer. I am genuinely considering going back to a HTPC these days, so tired of nvidia shield issues - not just related to Emby.

SmartTubeNext is available on GitHub and they are able to work as intended. Is it worth looking at their code or asking them for assistance? 

11 hours ago, MajesticMaerlyn said:

SmartTubeNext is available on GitHub and they are able to work as intended. Is it worth looking at their code

Sure thing.  You have a link?

Hi.  Are you positive it is showing global assistant results?  That source doesn't contain the main configuration file that is required for that functionality.

Also, on my Sony TV, our results are still working fine:

image.png

image.png

I get the same results on my Shield.  Please be sure that you have selected Emby as a searchable app in the Android settings.

Device Preferences->Google Assistant->Searchable apps

MajesticMaerlyn

In Singapore they have not switched Sony to the new interface so I can't really test that sorry.

But in terms of Shield, yep, it's listed, as I mentioned earlier.

Funny thing - in Singapore I can bounce between the two interfaces as Google / Nvidia have not rolled out the update here yet. If I use my VPN (normal case, set to LA to bypass geolocks), I get the new interface and Emby doesn't work. If I don't use the VPN  I have the old interface and Emby works. I also tested with a 2nd shield on another device, which doesn't run the VPN - it doesn't get the update and Emby works as intended. 

I can confirm it 100% doesn't work on the new Google interface. Screenshots showing both interfaces using the same search, as well as Emby being listed as a source. As you can see, it works as intended prior to the update.

20210927_104910.jpg

20210927_105831.jpg

20210927_105343.jpg

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, MajesticMaerlyn said:

PS - I should figure out how to take screenshots of the Shield lol 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MajesticMaerlyn

Cheers @GrimReaper

I will just change the mapping back to defaults for this in future (I remapped alot of the buttons)

Edited by MajesticMaerlyn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MajesticMaerlyn said:

I can confirm it 100% doesn't work on the new Google interface

It is working fine for me with the new interface.  The other thing that is different for you is  your VPN so it may be that you are confirming that it doesn't work with that...?

MajesticMaerlyn

New shield experience interface (via VPN) = it fails 

Old shield experience (no VPN) = it works

Not sure what else I can provide (can't see any logs etc)? I can't get the new shield experience (ie the GoogleTV style) without using the VPN.

Could it be Google Assistant is getting borked by this? Funny enough no other app so far is affected :(

45 minutes ago, MajesticMaerlyn said:

New shield experience interface (via VPN) = it fails 

Old shield experience (no VPN) = it works

Right so it is possible that the version of the interface is irrelevant and it is just the VPN that is the issue.

Try a search that doesn't work and then enter the app and send a log.

Then try one that does and and enter the app and send another log.

Tell me the exact times you sent each log.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MajesticMaerlyn said:

Okies. Will do a search tonight when I get home :) thanks

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

MajesticMaerlyn

Sorry guys and gals, I can't do any tests are present due to some family issues. Will have a look when I can, but feel free to consider this solved for me personally. Cheers