Qnap HS-251 VS. Intel NUC6CAYH hardware advice running Emby server

Niklas1977

Niklas1977

Hi everybody!

Running Emby Premiere server on my Qnap HS-251 Nas today, it`s wired through both Gbs-ports to a switch running port-trunking and all is well and good in the land of streaming Emby, to the server there are a few users who connects to it externally. My daughter and her boyfriend who uses Iphone, aswell as Samsung smart TV and web browser on occation, and my brother who uses APTV aswell as Ipad.

After reading through the forum in regards to transcoding etc i have a routine of converting all my media to MP4 container, AAC, H.264 and using SRT-files for subtitles to make sure that as many apps/devices can acess it as easily as possible and reduce strain on my Qnap CPU and make sure that all streams run smoothly on all the different apps that has access to the server. 

The transcoding (or remuxing depending on the mediaformat to begin with), is done on my PC before being added to my shared folders on the NAS.

The thing is that beacause of an upgrade to new PC i now have an Intel NUC6CAYH thats no longer in use and was wondering if there is any benefits to using that instead of the NAS for my Emby Server-needs, especially if there are any HW acceleration benefits of the NUC?

When installing Emby server on the NUC i found that Intel Quick sync was an option under "advanced" in the transcoding menu, one that my NAS doesnt have, and after what i have read Intel Quick sync is a good benefit when it comes to HW acceleration, transcoding etc.

Would all these connected apps/devices benefit from changing to the NUC, in terms of HW acceleration and the need for Emby to transcode decrease, and make more different codecs, containers etc available to smoother playback externally?

Worth noting is that the NUC in this scenario would run only as an Emby server and nothing else, the NUC would also be connected through ethernet to the same GB-switch as the NAS and the shared network folders on the NAS would be the folders on the Server.

Everything is wired to a 600 MB/s connection

Hardware NAS:

Intel® Celeron® 2.41GHz dual-core processor (burst up to 2.58GHz)

2GB DDR3L RAM

Hardware NUC:

Intel® Celeron® Processor J3455 (2M Cache, up to 2.3 GHz)

8 GB RAM

256 GB SSD

Windows 10 PRO 64-bit

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome:)

thanx!

N

Edited by Niklas1977
Spelling:)

PaulJNodine

One thing right off the bat is storage. Unless you are going to store the files on the nas hooked up to the switch and have emby server on the nuc pointing to the nas for the files.  Unless the nuc has a stand alone compatible graphics card to help with the transcoding there doesnt seem to much difference in specs.

I would try taking a file and using the conversion feature in emby on both the nas and the nuc and see what times you get. Also does that particular version of nas  support an add in graphics card?

Also according to the QNAP website the HS-251 is under limited support and will be end of life in December 2021 which means no more updates so thats something to take into consideration

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php#

Edited by PaulJNodine
added a question

Niklas1977

Thanx for the reply!:)

In the case of using the NUC as server i would use the shared folders on the NAS as source and point the NUC to those, both NUC and NAS would be wired to the same switch.

PaulJNodine
On 3/27/2021 at 12:42 PM, Niklas1977 said:

Thanx for the reply!:)

In the case of using the NUC as server i would use the shared folders on the NAS as source and point the NUC to those, both NUC and NAS would be wired to the same switch.

That was my point. Unless the nuc shows an appreciable increase in performance for either transcoding or the number of concurrent files able to be streamed, you are just adding another layer for no appreciable gain. Not to mention energy use. Instead of one box pulling power 24 hours a day, now there are two boxes running for 24 hours a day. And Im guessing the NUC uses more power than the NAS