Roku SW version 10.0.0 Build 4150-46 causes Emby to not work (Beta FW) - Please test beta 4.0.22+

robertxgonzalez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Well, that does give us some information.  It shows me that the last query to hit the server is the retrieval of the current user. So it never gets to retrieving any actual library content or prefs or anything.

Thanks.

plittlefield

See my replies with instructions to get to the Secret menu and revert to 9.4.0

once that's done, you can cycle the software version from BETA to RELEASE

Edited by plittlefield

• Solution

I believe we have this taken care of now.  Can anyone with a device still on 10.0 please try the current beta of the app?

Thanks!

UPDATE:  The beta is no longer necessary for this issue.  Just make sure your normal Roku channel is up to date.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, plittlefield said:

How do I get the beta version of the Emby app?

Via that link and do a forced update on your Roku.

plittlefield

Got it, thanks.

I'm going to stick with Roku 9.4.0 for the time being but when I upgrade I'll try that, thanks.

1 hour ago, plittlefield said:

Got it, thanks.

I'm going to stick with Roku 9.4.0 for the time being but when I upgrade I'll try that, thanks.

He meant the Beta app for the Roku. If you get the Emby Beta for Roku it should work on both 9.4 and 10.0. Apologies for the problem. It was early code developed when there was no other way to detect codec support. Roku never gave us notice they were going to change that section we depended on. We were using it in some undocumented ways to produce faster results when reading device video capabilities. Apologies this was ever an issue.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, speechles said:

He meant the Beta app for the Roku. If you get the Emby Beta for Roku it should work on both 9.4 and 10.0. Apologies for the problem. It was early code developed when there was no other way to detect codec support. Roku never gave us notice they were going to change that section. We were using some undocumented ways to produce faster results. Apologies this was ever an issue.

Can't you guys request the beta firmware on a test system?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

I wish it were that easy. You have to do it through their web form to request partner support. Then you can escalate your device and get the Beta firmware. The problem is Roku is adopting users into the Beta firmware that have never asked to be part of that program. They do not have enough Beta testers. So they go about silently adopting users and updating their devices. This caused the problem. We had to deduce okay it was a firmware update. Then figure out.. okay if you just use the Emby app they do not adopt you. They must have issues in some major app and if you use that app often enough you get adopted into the Beta firmware to help chase down issues as they watched your device crash. I am assume Netflix. People adopted in without being asked must use Netflix often. Roku wants to chase down crashes on Netflix using firmware version 10 they need users who use Netflix. That is my assumption and we get caught in the cross fire because Roku changed parts of their video capability reporting. The response of the CanDecodeVideo has changed. It no longer works like it did before. That caused the problem. We have firmware 10 now. The Beta application has been updated. What a wild bumpy ride it has been. A pot hole followed by a flat tire. It is our fault the tire went flat but it is Roku fault the road had the pot hole. If they had told us the pot hole was coming we would've fixed our tire. But this is all water under the bridge. History. We can now go back to comfort of watching on our Roku. ^_^

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

We finally got to the right people to do that last night and I got the issue addressed this morning - pending verification from users but working on my test system now.

Gilgamesh_48
17 hours ago, speechles said:

I wish it were that easy. You have to do it through their web form to request partner support. Then you can escalate your device and get the Beta firmware. The problem is Roku is adopting users into the Beta firmware that have never asked to be part of that program. They do not have enough Beta testers. So they go about silently adopting users and updating their devices. This caused the problem. We had to deduce okay it was a firmware update. Then figure out.. okay if you just use the Emby app they do not adopt you. They must have issues in some major app and if you use that app often enough you get adopted into the Beta firmware to help chase down issues as they watched your device crash. I am assume Netflix. People adopted in without being asked must use Netflix often. Roku wants to chase down crashes on Netflix using firmware version 10 they need users who use Netflix. That is my assumption and we get caught in the cross fire because Roku changed parts of their video capability reporting. The response of the CanDecodeVideo has changed. It no longer works like it did before. That caused the problem. We have firmware 10 now. The Beta application has been updated. What a wild bumpy ride it has been. A pot hole followed by a flat tire. It is our fault the tire went flat but it is Roku fault the road had the pot hole. If they had told us the pot hole was coming we would've fixed our tire. But this is all water under the bridge. History. We can now go back to comfort of watching on our Roku. ^_^

Roku stopped listening to or working with active beta testers some time ago (several years). They lost many testers because of that and many other things, like releasing firmware with bugs that had been reported for months in the beta testing. Roku is still, in my belief, is still the best streaming box on the market but they have become so big headed that they no longer care at all about their customers. Fortunately, so far, this has not had much effect on the way I use Rokus but a couple of time I have had to use an alternative streamer like my Fire 4K stick or my Shield just to be able to watch my content while Roku fixes something in they did not, could not or would not fix in beta testing.

I really wish there was a streamer that was as easy to use as the Roku but, so far, everything I have or have tested falls short in at least one and often several areas I need for my streaming comfort.

Roku grew too fast and they have become greedy much like Plex and I continue to look for an alternative.

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Roku stopped listening to or working with active beta testers some time ago (several years). They lost many testers because of that and many other things, like releasing firmware with bugs that had been reported for months in the beta testing.

That thread is from just a year ago. Isn't something dredged up on the wayback machine. The entire concept of a Roku was ease of use and freedom to use any service.

The best quote from those reddit comments:
"I feel the same way. They push out proprietary FIRMWARE without any warning or opt out or rollback and if it's a crasher, oh well. You read that TOS, right."

It seems to strike a chord with me. I hear the same note of discord as the person felt the need to post those to Reddit. Roku is ukoR. They need to get back to being Roku.

Gilgamesh_48
2 minutes ago, speechles said:

That thread is from just a year ago. Isn't something dredged up on the wayback machine. The entire concept of a Roku was ease of use and freedom to use any service.

The best quote from those reddit comments:
"I feel the same way. They push out proprietary FIRMWARE without any warning or opt out or rollback and if it's a crasher, oh well. You read that TOS, right."

This is why I have a number of different streamers from different companies. I cannot count on any company not releasing flawed software because of poor testing or even no testing at all. I suspect that the most important people at Roku are now in marketing and they spend most workdays lounging on the beach or at home. I do not think that any developer/programmer at Roku has any contact with their user base and they are even forbidden from reading the user comments on any service. Possibly they are chosen for their inability to read.

plittlefield

Wow, thanks for all your efforts on this ...

... I love my various Roku devices and am still learning tricks!

To be fair, my Roku devices have been as good as gold, this being the first blip...

... thankfully, I came to these forums, read the instructions, got to the Secret Screen and fixed the problem within hours of having it... not bad these days!

Yes, it's cheeky of Roku to surreptitiously put customers in the beta firmware but let's keep a positive outlook and with everyone's help we can "beat them at their own game" while they get their act together 🙂

• Like 1

Has anyone successfully tested the latest app beta on a device with 10.0 firmware?

bcm00re
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Has anyone successfully tested the latest app beta on a device with 10.0 firmware?

I just did, and Emby Beta 4.0.21 appears to work.  Let me know if you need more details.

EDIT: So what was the issue?

Edited by bcm00re

Thanks for confirming.  It was a change to a behavior of one of their functions.

JohnnySapphire

Just wanted to chime in i had this same issue on a Roku stick, yet my other Roku sticks and Roku devices worked fine (only an issue on this one). So prob only specific Roku's using the BETA release.

The only fix that worked was the one listed about the secret menu and downgrading the app version. worked fine after that.

Happy2Play
Just now, JohnnySapphire said:

Just wanted to chime in i had this same issue on a Roku stick, yet my other Roku sticks and Roku devices worked fine (only an issue on this one). So prob only specific Roku's using the BETA release.

The only fix that worked was the one listed about the secret menu and downgrading the app version. worked fine after that.

Should be a matter of what Emby Roku Channel version you are running, as  Beta 4.0.21 should not have any issues as reported above.

5 minutes ago, JohnnySapphire said:

The only fix that worked

Did you try the beta version 4.0.21 and it still didn't work?

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Did you try the beta version 4.0.21 and it still didn't work?

... on bated breath we wait ...

Edited by speechles

JohnnySapphire

Sorry, i meant i rev erted the "Roku" software version from 10 to 9.

Currently is now working with:

• Emby Roku App Ver: 4.0 (build 18)
  • Roku Software version: 9.4.0 (build 4210-24)

Thanks. We also need confirmation that 4.0.21 works with 10.0.0 Build 4150. You would need to use the Emby Beta for Roku to obtain 4.0.21. Both the Store and Beta version of the app can share your home screen. The Beta has a different icon you will notice.

MasterZin

After rolling off the Beta code I am able to connect to my Emby server on my Roku again, but every time I exit to the Roku home screen I'm required to remove the server and re add the server every single time.  Any ideas?