Roku SW version 10.0.0 Build 4150-46 causes Emby to not work (Beta FW) - Please test beta 4.0.22+

robertxgonzalez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

robertxgonzalez

My Roku/Emby was working just fine.  It updated and then noticed Emby no longer will work.  When you click on Emby (in Roku), it looks like it will update then closes.  I have reformated the SD card, deleted and reinstalled the Emby app in Roku and finally which I was trying to avoid, did a reset on Roku.  In the delete/reinstall of the app and reset, Emby comes up and it asks for the server which I select and then it looks like it may open and then closes again.  I have also rebooted my Emby server (computer) to no avail.  Not sure what else to do.  Roku model is 4660X - Roku Ultra.

We apologize for the issue. We are aware of the reports of crashing and once we have it narrowed down can give a solution. Please stay tuned. We will have something soon and once again apologies you have to suffer this problem. We didn't do this intentionally but it was our fault (ANY time there is a crash it is our fault even if it isn't). You can feel free to throw some heat our way. This isn't something we do often. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

robertxgonzalez

As far as I can tell, it is a release.  My Roku auto updates on new releases and was only aware it updated as it rebooted on me when I stopped watching Emby and went to another app.  The firmware detailed in the subject line is what my Roku is now reporting.

robertxgonzalez

Luke,

Yes sir.  Seems that Roku put out a SW upgrade that screwed up the Emby APP on Roku.  I also have an EMBY app on my smart LG and Samsung TVs and they are working fine, but prefer to use my Roku as it has more apps I use.  

Edited by robertxgonzalez

Happy2Play

Guess I haven't got the updates yet as all my Rokus are still on 9.4.

• Like 1

robertxgonzalez

10.0.0 Build 4150-46 did something.  I am sure the good folks at Roku will fix it.  Rarely have problems with my Roku and when there is one, they are quick to address.  

They must have dropped support for some of the interfaces we use. They are supposed to give us deprecation notices when this occurs. But maybe we missed them or they never sent them. They are also supposed to alert us during Static Analysis that problems like this such as interfaces that were deprecated are still in the code or functions were deprecated. The RALE (Roku advanced layout editor) should also give clues when deprecated components are still in use that are abandoned in firmware updates. But we might have missed something. That is possible. It is also possible this is something they broke and not something we should have done.

I will try to manually update my devices later today and see if any of them get offered the 10.x firmware. I am curious why there are crashes.

• Like 1

Dabrudders

I can confirm the Roku app now quits immediately after showing the logo on my Roku 3. I forgot I had the Blue Neon version also installed and luckily that version still works correctly.

Happy2Play

Hmm this is going to get interesting as there are/where two topics on this new firmware update breaking Emby client.

Borsk
2 hours ago, farside847 said:

following. I too have this issue.

No issues yet ....... But my TCL Roku TV has not received the update yet so we will see eh 

ginjaninja

since (i think) .35 , my roku client (latest standard and latest beta) wont start. roku sg 4.0.19 4200x 10.0.0 build 4150-04.

or rather they start, the emby logo shows, then the spinning wheel/"welcome to emby" and then back to roku homepage without an error or warning.

best guess it bugs out trying to display home page.

no errors in the server log

othee recent change - have added 5 remote devices alongside 5 existing 10 devices. (tried removing all the random web clients down to low number)

anyone else got .35 and roku working?

if i delete the roku device from emby, the roku client successfully offers the server selection, user selection password entry screens..but then bugs out as before.

Happy2Play

@ginjaninjamerge with existing Roku 10 Firmware update issue.  This update broke Emby as I guess we knew nothing about it.

• Thanks 1

According to talk on Reddit it isn't released yet and there is nothing on the official Roku site about this release.

ginjaninja

@robertxgonzalez

Spoiler

the solution  is here

on roku, press HOME 5 times, FF 3 times, REW 2 times, to get to the secret screen

my update server was set to 'beta' (dont remember doing that myself, maybe roku puts a % of users on this automatically)

anyways i changed my update server to 'release' (from 'beta')

and then clicked 'update software'

this downgraded my firmware

Edit:  If you run into this issue, please do not revert your Roku firmware. Please install our beta app instead.

back in business!

Edited by ebr
Beta should solve this
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5

robertxgonzalez

Wow, most interesting.  This is BS from Roku putting folks on Beta without informing them.  I was able to follow the steps and downgraded to 9.4.0 Build 4200-46 and Emby app on my Roku works again.   Now when it auto updates again, at least know how to "fix it"  Do not see any Release Vs Beta selection for the Firmware/Software.  So happy,  Thank you.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

That would explain why I couldn't find anything on version 10 update.

• Like 1

Does anyone out there have a device currently running the 10.0 beta firmware or has everyone rolled back?

robertxgonzalez

FYI, for *hit$ and giggles, attempted to upgrade manually and the 10.0.0 is no longer available, at least my Roku no longer can download it.  Perhaps Roku has taken it offline due to the issues it caused.  Currently have Roku 9.4.0 build 4200-46 and the Emby app works flawlessly.  A similar thing occurred last year with Roku except it affected YouTube which a later revision fixed.  :)

• Thanks 1

Cyberbob2021
On 30/03/2021 at 15:57, ebr said:

Does anyone out there have a device currently running the 10.0 beta firmware or has everyone rolled back?

im just catching up now as mines done this tonight, i have been trying in vain all evening, my plus is working for the minute, i can check version but im sure i fit this issue, yes its running version 10.0.0 

now to get head around undoing it, and stopping it happening on other roku :(

Edited by Cyberbob2021