HTTPS With Emby Connect

ssinno28

ssinno28

Hello,

I currently have SSL setup with my emby server locally with a self signed certificate. The HTTPS version of the site is working fine and I can hit it locally with a local domain. My issue right now is that I'm trying to get HTTPS working with Emby Connect with the current certificate I have and I keep getting an error when clicking on the server I want to connect to:

image.png.a389b8448df146559da6f4aebb279ebe.png

I've gotten it working by installing the the CA used to create the cert to my Trusted Certificate Authority Store, but I don't want to have to do this for every device. Can anyone talk me through how to get this working without opening up ports in my router and setting up my own custom domain? I'm assuming Emby Connect was meant to hopefully let me avoid that, so hoping to stay on this path.

Edited by ssinno28

Hi,

You really can't use a self assigned cert effectively in Emby.  Get yourself a real cert.  They can be had for free.

Many people use https://letsencrypt.org/ with Emby.

Edited by cayars

ssinno28

Okay, just did that and created a domain; although, I am wondering what the purpose of emby connect is if I have to setup an external domain?

40 minutes ago, ssinno28 said:

Okay, just did that and created a domain; although, I am wondering what the purpose of emby connect is if I have to setup an external domain?

If you have your own domain you likely won't want to use Emby Connect at all.  I don't use Emby Connect as I'd rather connect directly to my server with it's domain name. :)
Not everyone has a domain, so for them EC can be a nice way to connect to their server.  It's optional.

ssinno28
1 hour ago, cayars said:

If you have your own domain you likely won't want to use Emby Connect at all.  I don't use Emby Connect as I'd rather connect directly to my server with it's domain name. :)
Not everyone has a domain, so for them EC can be a nice way to connect to their server.  It's optional.

I get that, I'm just wondering if you can in fact get HTTPS working with emby connect? I was unsuccessful in doing so, so I resorted to using my own domain.

Yes, Emby Connect will use the connection your dashboard shows. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, Emby Connect will use the connection your dashboard shows. 

It should assuming it is reachable address.  But if your address changes it can take a couple hours to update.

Well, if your dashboard shows something that's not functional, that's a different problem. :)