Can not Log In After Setup

DadOfRCA

DadOfRCA

Hi,

I'm looking to test Emby, I've successfully installed it on my Synology NAS.  After I launch it for the first time, it brings me to a logon on screen.  This is where I'm stuck, even though I know my username and password, it keeps saying invalid.  I'm able to log on to https://emby.media, just fine, but when I use that same username and password for the installation logon, it won't take it.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

You are sure your not confusing the main site with your setup password for your server..

The link you posted takes me to the main site here.. well before the support page and community but the main site for Emby

Edited by Guest

DadOfRCA

After launching Emby for the first time, I'm forwarded to this page (see attachment).  It doesn't look like it's asking to create anything, but wants me to sign in. 

Emby.png

There is probably a better way to do this .. but at least you won't loose anything..

I would uninstall... deleted all folders that are left behind.. and reinstall.. once you do that try again and se if it works.. Happened to me twice, also did this from my phone, and apps before. Sometimes its something simple.. a few times there was no explanation.

DadOfRCA

I can try that.  The problem for me, (With Synology) is I've never figured out how to access system files, so I don't see a folder that Emby got installed to.

Forgot about that.. LOL.. you should uninstall it from Synology... if you see any folders for emby left behind in a home directory.. they should disappear.. I always restart my NAS w/Linux after I do an install/uninstall.. Then look..

DadOfRCA

Well, I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, and unfortunately, I'm still having the problem.  :(  Is the username, the email address or something else?

Spoiler

You should have hit a setup screen.. where it asks you for a username and a password to put into the server.. That is what you should be using.. at ...http://127.0.0.1:8096 or http://localhost:8096 ... If you are using your Emby Connect account it has to be setup on the site here and then you use it.. otherwise you sign in manually.

• 6 months later...

I am having this exact same issue with my new Synology DS920+ and have tried everything I've read on forums and watched on YouTube, hence this post.  In a nutshell, I am at the point in the process where the only solution is going to be deleting all of the Emby files/folders manually via SSH/Putty/WinSCP as I have exhausted everything else, including ESET NOD32, Synology firewall, Windows firewall, rebooted the NAS, system internal user permissions, etc, etc, etc.  The only problem is that when I try and delete the Emby files/folders via WinSCP, access/permission is denied.  So, I tried logging into the root, but it will not accept the password that I have assigned.  I even made sure to change #PermitRootLogin prohibit-passwoord to #PermitRootLogin yes.  So, I am hitting roadblocks every way I turn, when all I want to do is simply delete the Emby files.  If there is an Emby guide how to properly gain access to delete these files/folders, it would be greatly appreciated.  Even better, an Emby cleanup/removal script/tool that we can all run when needed :)  Here are just a few of the links where others have wanted to do the same:

VicSupaNov

What's the reliable youtube video or other instructions used for creating username passwords? Id like to try it. I'm having issues logging in externally ONLY for accounts other than my own. 

9 hours ago, DS920 said:

I am having this exact same issue with my new Synology DS920+ and have tried everything I've read on forums and watched on YouTube, hence this post.  In a nutshell, I am at the point in the process where the only solution is going to be deleting all of the Emby files/folders manually via SSH/Putty/WinSCP as I have exhausted everything else, including ESET NOD32, Synology firewall, Windows firewall, rebooted the NAS, system internal user permissions, etc, etc, etc.  The only problem is that when I try and delete the Emby files/folders via WinSCP, access/permission is denied.  

WinSCP isn't going to root access.
You need to putty/ssh into the NAS then do a sudo -i to get root privs then you remove files.

But before you do that what's the main issue you are having?
Can you not login or can you not access the web admin?

Tell us what the problem is because if it's something else on the NAS causing this issue you can uninstall/re-install all day long and not fix the root of the problem.

Hi Cayars, and thank you in advance for your time, sincerely appreciated.  My initial installation of the Emby Package into DSM7.0 began fine, up until the 5:20 mark in the following video where my path went blank:

"How to Set up Emby on a Synology NAS":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34YdGEdVL7g

Please note that although the video mentions Docker, I was not using Docker.  I just selected this video as it explains my exact issue with the path going blank.

It was from that point onward that I was hooped.  My guess is that ESET NOD32, or the Synology Firewall blocked some part of the config/setup and I have been stuck ever since...exactly like DadOfRCA experienced, which is why he began this thread initially.  So, I wanted to start from scratch as simply uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling Emby into my DS920+ with DSM7.0 doesn't solve anything.  As soon as I try to open Emby again, I am back to the Sign In screen, which does not accept my user/pass.  Where'as I can log into http://app.emby.media/#!/startup/connectlogin.html with my user/pass no problem.  It is just Emby Package within DiskStation that is the issue.

An added tidbit...an Emby folder was never created/generated into DSM's "Shared Folder" section, where'as Plex was able to create/generate its "PlexMediaServer" folder into DSM's "Shared Folder" section no problem.

As for WinSCP not being able to root access, I concur.  I just mentioned WinSCP as another example of what I played with through the process so far, to give some insight into my capabilities, or lack thereof 🤓  I can Putty/SSH into the NAS and do a sudo -i using my admin user/pass no problem, but alas, I cannot log into the root as it will not accept the password that I assigned.

Hmmm...seeing as I prefer a graphical interface, I guess it was WinSCP that I was trying to use in order to delete the Emby folders, as I just used Putty/SSH and I just deleted the @appconf/EmbyServer folder via the rmdir command no problem...  So, I am currently deleting the rest that I find:

@appdata/EmbyServer (although "failed to remove 'EmbyServer': Directory not empty")

@apphome/EmbyServer

FrostByte

1. Set superuser privileges on NAS.  

Open DSM Control Panel

Click Task Scheduler

Create a task

5d8299be33a27_1.png

General tab:

5d8299dde115b_2.png

(Uncheck "Enabled")

Task Settings tab:

5d829a1c93f8b_3.png

text version of "Run command" field (copy/paste the information below to be safe):

cat <<EOF > /etc/sudoers
Defaults syslog=authpriv
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%administrators ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
EOF
chmod ug=r,o= /etc/sudoers

(Click "OK")

Then run the new task you just created*:

5d829a6eb8ab4_5.png

(Click "Yes")

* You may need to run the task again after every DSM update as Synology tends to reset these privileges themselves

---

2. Enable SSH on NAS

Open DSM Control Panel

Click Terminal & SNMP

Terminal tab:

5d82f308259a2_6.png

(Check "Enable SSH service" and then click "Apply")

---

3. Setup WinSCP

Download and install WinSCP on Windows machine

https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Allow WinSCP to start

Login box:

5d82f729cfbc4_7.png

File protocol: SCP

Host name: enter the NAS host name or IP address

Port number: enter the port number from step 2

User name: "admin"

Click "Login"

Password:  use your admin password

winscp.jpg.a0748a29a5471c14a887e05618f3222d.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

I'm trying to follow what you are doing here @FrostByte but I'm not sure I'm following what you're setting out to accomplish with the task ran switch.
Mind explaining?

2 hours ago, DS920 said:

Hi Cayars, and thank you in advance for your time, sincerely appreciated.  My initial installation of the Emby Package into DSM7.0 began fine, up until the 5:20 mark in the following video where my path went blank:

"How to Set up Emby on a Synology NAS":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34YdGEdVL7g

There is not much in that video that you would want to follow as you do not need to setup user accounts or anything like that.  That was DSM 6 type stuff.
In DSM 7 a system internal account is used and this is created when you run the installer.

Would you mind doing a remote support session with me?  I should be able to get you up and running in just a few minutes time.
Send me a PM if you would like to do this.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, cayars said:

I'm trying to follow what you are doing here @FrostByte but I'm not sure I'm following what you're setting out to accomplish with the task ran switch.
Mind explaining?

There is not much in that video that you would want to follow as you do not need to setup user accounts or anything like that.  That was DSM 6 type stuff.
In DSM 7 a system internal account is used and this is created when you run the installer.

Would you mind doing a remote support session with me?  I should be able to get you up and running in just a few minutes time.
Send me a PM if you would like to do this.

Np.  The task is changing the sudoers file so that it doesn't display any prompts when WinSCP shells the sudo - i command in the advanced settings.   Otherwise WinSCP won't be able to logon with that in there.  You only need to run this once, but I save the task because Synology seems to reset the sudoers file during major updates.  For instance I had to rerun the task after DSM 7 update.

This is actually something @Abobader linked to the Synology forums awhile back when he was helping me setup WinSCP after I got my first NAS.  All I did was copy the text from the Synology forums and add some graphics.  Like DS920 I prefer the GUI over command line tools any day.

Edited by FrostByte

My issue is resolved! :)  Putty/SSH allowed me to delete the (3) folders (@appconf/EmbyServer, @appdate/EmbyServer, @apphome/EmbyServer) via the 'rmdir' or 'rm -r' commands, then I made sure that the Synology Firewall was disabled this time around (which is disabled by default which is why most people may not run into the problem I did), and then the Emby Package installed perfectly, it accepted my user/pass without argument, and the path no longer blanked-out.  As part of the test, I left ESET NOD32 Antivirus enabled, along with the Windows Firewall.  So, these items were not the cause of the initial problem.  It had to be the Synology Firewall that I had enabled prior to trying to install Emby the first time around.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction @cayars and for offering the remote support session, sincerely appreciated.  In return, I am happy to have been able to save you from having to do so.  Thank you as well @FrostByte for taking the time to post as well.  Although I did not end-up having to try the Superuser Privilege WinSCP method, I have absolutely archived this as I will most definitely make use of it in the future.  So, thank you guys a bunch and all the best.

Problem Solved after deleting with Putty1.jpg

Problem Solved7.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome, glad you got it figured it and working.

I had the feeling you were going to push through this and fix it yourself!