How would you guys set up a Documentaries library?

notla49285

notla49285

I have a Documentaries library, but there's a bit of an issue with the type of content. At the moment, I have it set as movies, in which case it attempts to identify new documentaries as movies so it will check themoviedb and the omdb. It will also then display the media as individual entities.

However, some of the documentaries I have, such as Frontline or Panorama, are actually TV episodes so their metadata needs to come from thetvdb. In my view they're not like a TV series because each episode is usually 1h20m+ and the episodes don't relate to each other, they just happen to be part of the same series/production. To set the library up as a TV episode library, these episodes would be grouped together when really they should be separated because they are all one-offs.

How does everyone else do this?

Edited by notla49285
Grammar

If they aired on TV, you should set them up as TV.. filenaming and folder conventions followed.. You can name the Library the same or add something.. in those instances.. Even if you try to get metadata in a movie library it will not happen..

EDIT: I also have a Documentary Library made from one off movie length documentary- as movies.. if I didnt mention..

TV Movies do the same thing.. I have to keep them separated tagged with a season number and episode, embed my metadata and through them in the TV Library with the same structure.. They then get all of the bells and whistles that all of the other content gets..

I am fighting with Afro Samurai metadata right now.. The first one was tagged on the database as a TV Movie while it sits in my Movie Library with the second one.. which is tagged as a regular movie.. (even with IMDb number) It will not download the logo or backdrop for it at all if I want to keep it there I have to do it all manually. 

Struggled with some of my movies because I joined them.. They should have stayed in the TV folder.. and went in as a series..

IF IT IS TV.. leave it TV.. my best advice.. So on.. you may find differences online as to how they are identified. 

Edited by Guest

mgworek

I have mine setup as Mixed Content and have my shows correctly named and it works perfectly but that doesn't help you since you want individual tv episodes listed by themselves. I do have a couple of one offs that are by themselves and I cant remember if Emby correctly found it or I manually edited the metadata. It's only a few so I don't mind the work.

notla49285

I wondered about mixed content. I get separating them but this would suit the system more than the user for in my personal opinion.

It seems I'm not missing anything obvious, that's just the way it is. I've noticed some of the TV documentaries do appear on themoviedb so can be identified as such, otherwise it looks like I'll need to add the metadata manually and then lock it.

My folder/file naming convention is a bit half-arsed as I've got essentially TV episode folders at root level as if they were movies.

Edited by notla49285

One2Go

Ah yes the Documentary conundrum. Set up my Documentary library as "Mixed Content". Then using Media Center Master to get all the meta data in xml files. Installed the XML plugin and it imports the data. This makes it very flexible for changes to your liking. After everything is to my liking I lock it because it will be messed up by Emby. Did the same for a Sports library which has TV episodes, Mini Series or a few movies grouped under a top folder. Works for me with a minimal amount of manual intervention.

You do understand that the Devs have to please the 80% that do not require unique setups and then provide for the rest of us a way to tinker with the cataloguing.

Just to add to your Panorama situation, when you use XML files then you can change the season numbers as well as the episode numbers in the file. When Emby imports the xml files it will not go to theTVDB site but take the date from the existing XML files even though they don't exist in theTVDB site.

Edited by One2Go

skidmarks

I had mine in mixed content for years.   It doesn't work well at the end of the day! 

I now run two libraries...  Documentary (movies) and a Educational (tv series)

Deathsquirrel

I just put them into my main movie and tv libraries, then use collections to group them if needed.

RanmaCanada

I have it as mixed content.  I attempt to rename tv episodes properly, but sometimes it's extremely difficult as finding that particular show is almost impossible.  It recognizes movies properly 95% of the time, and other times it just goes wacko.

Spaceboy

i have the Documentaries library set as mixed content but allow the shows and movies to acquire their metadata in the tv and movie libraries respectively and then manually move them across once done. its not that common i add stuff to the Documentaries library so its not a lot of admin

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Been there many years ago and tried to have a library for Documentary - disaster - as Documentary is a Genre, not a media type and had all the same issues as you are witnessing.

Now I just use the Filter by Genre = Documentary and it lists them all - from wherever they may be - TV, Film, Audio, Music Video documentaries etc

When smart lists eventually turn up - you'll be glad you didn't spend hours trying to separate these out as a couple of clicks will group them all for you. ..

My 2p..

Edited by rbjtech

• 4 weeks later...
access

I just bit the bullet and grouped Panorama as a TV Series.

image.thumb.png.4070d92add6c4c5ea316a2af30749718.png

I did the hard yards though and classified documentaries into buckets using collections;

image.png.0135e791bb2538d7950d0bc861ca5881.png

I could of used Genre, but at the moment im using collections for my documentary classifications. That way it cuts across all media types.

I actually like seeing what panorama covers throughout the years so don't mind it as a TV series.

• 4 weeks later...
gungatim

I have them broken up into Doc TV, and Doc Movies. I use a heirarchy system, so it goes

All TV

Doc TV

Doc Mini-series

then I got in the weeds with Motor Head tv, Discovery Doc, History Doc, Music Doc, etc.

Movies are the same way,

All Movies,

Doc Movies,

Holiday, animated, comedians, etc.

• 3 months later...
Roger Graham
On 18/05/2021 at 23:15, gungatim said:

I have them broken up into Doc TV, and Doc Movies. I use a heirarchy system, so it goes

All TV

Doc TV

Doc Mini-series

then I got in the weeds with Motor Head tv, Discovery Doc, History Doc, Music Doc, etc.

Movies are the same way,

All Movies,

Doc Movies,

Holiday, animated, comedians, etc.

Hi, can you explain how you set up a hierarchy in Emby?  

gungatim

not sure what you are asking, I keep everything in separate folders, and add multiple folders to the top library, other libraries only have a single folder.

that way I can see all tv in the main TV folder, but if I want a cooking show for example, since those are in their own folder it will show up under my "Food Network" library as well as the main TV library.

Roger Graham
20 minutes ago, gungatim said:

not sure what you are asking, I keep everything in separate folders, and add multiple folders to the top library, other libraries only have a single folder.

that way I can see all tv in the main TV folder, but if I want a cooking show for example, since those are in their own folder it will show up under my "Food Network" library as well as the main TV library.

OK, I thought you meant that you had somehow set up a hierarchy of Libraries.  Thanks.