Search Each Library Individually

Popeye2468

Popeye2468

Ok so my request is to be able to search each library separate as it stands when you search it searches everything, and if like me you have 30k music tracks 10k books/comics 10k episodes and 10k+ movies, searching is slow

so is it possible to have a search section for each library individually

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

MBSki

you can search/filter individual media types AFTER completing the search. But I agree, a library search would be useful. 

Just FYI, in Android TV, Fire TV and Roku, if you search from within a library, the results are limited to that library.

• Like 2

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Popeye2468 said:

Ok so my request is to be able to search each library separate as it stands when you search it searches everything, and if like me you have 30k music tracks 10k books/comics 10k episodes and 10k+ movies, searching is slow

If you are running the latest Beta - there are now some options you can set in the database cache that significantly increases performance. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/96065-performance-improvements-for-large-databases/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-1001090

• 4 months later...
MediaMogal
On 3/24/2021 at 6:36 AM, ebr said:

Just FYI, in Android TV, Fire TV and Roku, if you search from within a library, the results are limited to that library.

Why isn't it the default for a PC then?

On 3/24/2021 at 6:51 AM, rbjtech said:

If you are running the latest Beta - there are now some options you can set in the database cache that significantly increases performance. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/96065-performance-improvements-for-large-databases/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-1001090

Has nothing to do with the feature request.

Edited by MediaMogal

rbjtech

On 24/03/2021 at 12:36, Popeye2468 said:

@MediaMogal If you can search the entire library quickly, why complicate things with an individual library search ?  

MediaMogal

It's called not wanting to see results for other libraries. The whole idea about a narrowed search is to limit the results to make it fast to find what you are looking for. Nothing complicated about that at all. Am I going to search my entire PC for a file that I know is on a particular partition or am I going to narrow my search to that partition only? Same difference.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
kurtgschumacher

+1 for this request on the Windows app. I seems that it would be easy to implement since according to @ebr the code already exists in Android TV, Fire TV and Roku.

• 5 months later...
GrimReaper

Coming from another topic:

9 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That is something that userbase will likely be split halfway (as with number of other topics), I just recently had a post in AndroidTV beta section complaining why are results limited only to a Library one's currently in and not Global. Guess the only way out of it would be for a "Search" icon press resulting in dropdown with Local search and Global search selection options. 

Locutus64

"I dislike when I'm in a particular library and do a search and Emby searches all libraries. I believe if I'm doing a search from within a particular library that search should only return results from that library. Please see my post in the below linked thread. Thanks"

@ebr I did search and came up with nothing. Ask if one searched, don't assume they didn't. Thanks

@GrimReaper There is really no reason not to have both.

Edited by Locutus64

kurtgschumacher
3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

That is something that userbase will likely be split halfway (as with number of other topics), I just recently had a post in AndroidTV beta section complaining why are results limited only to a Library one's currently in and not Global. Guess the only way out of it would be for a "Search" icon press resulting in dropdown with Local search and Global search selection options. 

This is a non-issue, IMHO. That's like complaining that when you search for a file in a folder in Windows, that it doesn't find the file in other folders. That's how searches (should) work. If you want to search in all libraries, search from the home page.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, kurtgschumacher said:

This is a non-issue, IMHO. That's like complaining that when you search for a file in a folder in Windows, that it doesn't find the file in other folders. That's how searches (should) work. If you want to search in all libraries, search from the home page.

This is a db query, not filesystem search. It should not be limited unless you want it limited. I don't want it. As it extends to other fields (particularly Tags). 

Edited by GrimReaper

kurtgschumacher
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

This is a db query, not filesystem search. It should not be limited unless you want it limited. I don't want it. As it extends to other fields (particularly Tags). 

Again, that's not a valid argument. When I search in a table, I don't expect, or want to, see results from every table in the database. If I want to do that, phpMyAdmin has a way to search the entire database.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
19 minutes ago, kurtgschumacher said:

Again, that's not a valid argument. When I search in a table, I don't expect, or want to, see results from every table in the database. If I want to do that, phpMyAdmin has a way to search the entire database.

We can continue debating with neither of us changing stance. It boils down to: you want it restricted - I don't. As there are others that want it and those that do not. (and tbh honest, given how much support this topic has got, I'd guess there ain't big request for it). Anyway, I've suggested a viable solution to satisfy both sides, if it were to be implemented: dropdown upon press, with Local search and Global search selection. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Rephrased
  • Like 1

MBSki
25 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

(and tbh honest, given how much support this topic has got, I'd guess there ain't big request for it).

7 votes is actually pretty good. That's a decent amount of interest especially for the amount of time that it's been open.

26 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Anyway, I've suggested a viable solution to satisfy both sides, if it were to be implemented: dropdown upon press, with Local search and Global search selection. 

I like this suggestion. I usually prefer searching everywhere and with search being so quick I'd rather search, get the results and then filter from there.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

7 votes is actually pretty good. That's a decent amount of interest especially for the amount of time that it's been open.

That's surely a matter of perspective. 😉

5 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I usually prefer searching everywhere and with search being so quick I'd rather search, get the results and then filter from there.

As do I. Global search is so fast thatvI don't feel the need to restrict it speed-wise, and more importantly in my usage-case, local search restricts Tags follow-up as I have Movies/Shows spread accross multiple libraries. 

Locutus64
1 hour ago, kurtgschumacher said:

EXACTLY.  @GrimReaper it's not about the speed and you know it. It's about having to wade through results that should of never been returned. I honestly could of lived with it after mentioning it awhile back but when I went into settings and did a search and it searched my libraries instead of just setting or even settings at all I decided to revisit the issue. 

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

I honestly could of lived with it after mentioning it awhile back but when I went into settings and did a search and it searched my libraries instead of just setting or even settings at all I decided to revisit the issue. 

But Search in Settings was never possible, it was always content search. Even if Library-restricted search was implemented, you'd still get none there (as opposed to previous Global), I'd suppose? 

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

It's about having to wade through results that should of never been returned.

And again, I'd rather wade through those as opposed NOT having them returned - which in my case happens in AndroidTV client app when following through on any Tag. As said number of times - we all have our preferences and usage.

Edit: To give some perspective: My system is crammed with tags, I'd guess content has some 100,000+ tags attached. I love it. My users love it. As it enables "term" searching, as opposed to "title-only" searching. Think "nuclear submarine" or "mountain climbing" or whatever - it is extremely likely there are Movies/TV Shows with that tag. My Movies are spread across 4 libraries (because I prefer it so and it makes it more manageable), TV Shows likewise. In AndroidTV app, from inside ANY item detail screen, clicking on associated tag returns results from ONLY that library. While there might be xy items in other libraries that should've been presented. ONLY way toi get all results is to remember exact wording, back up to Home screen, click up to Search icon, type that same f*cking tag (did I mention lose place in the library I was previously in) and then and only then get the results I wanted. 30-40-50 clicks instead of single click? Hell yes I want it Global.   

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

kurtgschumacher
24 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

And again, I'd rather wade through those as opposed NOT having them returned - which in my case happens in AndroidTV client app when following through on any Tag. As said number of times - we all have our preferences and usage.

You've made it very clear that you prefer it one way. Others posting here have made it clear that they would prefer it another way. Rather than arguing opinions, I think we should leave it up to the developers to decide if they want to change it.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, kurtgschumacher said:

You've made it very clear that you prefer it one way. Others posting here have made it clear that they would prefer it another way. Rather than arguing opinions, I think we should leave it up to the developers to decide if they want to change it.

Totally agree, as stated few posts above:

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

We can continue debating with neither of us changing stance. It boils down to: you want it restricted - I don't. As there are others that want it and those that do not. (and tbh honest, given how much support this topic has got, I'd guess there ain't big request for it). Anyway, I've suggested a viable solution to satisfy both sides, if it were to be implemented: dropdown upon press, with Local search and Global search selection. 

FrostByte

This is the perfect place to discuss opinions so the devs can make an informed decision before acting.  If there are enough people who feel strongly about differing ways of doing things, then options are sometimes warranted.  A friendly discussion should always be a good thing though

• Like 2

kurtgschumacher
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

This is the perfect place to discuss opinions so the devs can make an informed decision before acting.  If there are enough people who feel strongly about differing ways of doing things, then options are sometimes warranted.  A friendly discussion should always be a good thing though

I understand that. But stating the same opinion repeatedly doesn't add much to the discussion.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, kurtgschumacher said:

I understand that. But stating the same opinion repeatedly doesn't add much to the discussion.

Who was doing that? As I see it, everyone's posts were a reply to someone else's.

abegreen

When in root search globally, when in specific library search inside library.

Also make 2 different emby apps cause I have never been a member of more stupid and toxic community so make one for normal people and one for idiots who want everything backwards, sounds like a solution.

• Agree 1