Why is transcoding so slow?

crusher11

If you played the same exact file successfully from usb then that's a good sign. That suggests to me that coming over the network, the data just wasn't getting there quickly enough, and the LG player raised a network error which caused the app to automatically switch to transcoding.

When a direct play error occurs, the app currently does not report the type of error to the server, but this is something we can look at adding to help with diagnosing this.

crusher11

I can play 4K movies just fine, I don't think my network is going to crap out on a Blu-ray.

No, but the cheap network adapter on the LG TV might, as it's not made high bitrate bluray rips. There have been reports of this in the LG section.

crusher11

Which part of "I can play 4K movies just fine" did you not understand?

This movie, sourced from a Blu-ray, is not a higher bitrate than a 4K movie, sourced from a UHD disc.

If you're going to be rude then the chances of getting a response will drop significantly. My previous statements still stand. I'm telling you what's happening, that the LG video player is raising an error on the file, and then we switch to transcoding. Currently I can't tell you why, but we can improve that error reporting, although even then it will only be high level error codes such as network error, decoding error, etc. But once we have that it will provide some idea. It is unlikely that we can do anything to prevent this from occurring given that it is direct playing and that we're using an LG-built video player component provided by LG. When you play from USB, or DLNA, you're playing with an LG first party app and it's possible that the video player it uses is more robust than what third party apps are able to use.

crusher11
11 hours ago, Luke said:

It is unlikely that we can do anything to prevent this from occurring given that it is direct playing

But it isn't direct playing, that's the problem.