Video Stuttering on Shield

Bigmack3000
Go to solution Solved by Bigmack3000,

Bigmack3000

can i upload a sample here to see if you guys can find what the shield app doesn't like that the other apps are ok with?

Hi.  You can provide a sample via dropbox or similar link.  I'm pretty sure it is an out of spec or other unexpected header (or missing header info) causing the issue since a remux corrected it.  Exoplayer does not like anything that deviates from the strict spec.

Thanks.

This direct plays fine for me with no stuttering on 2.0.70g.

Carlo

19 minutes ago, cayars said:

This direct plays fine for me with no stuttering on 2.0.70g.

Carlo

Me too...

I wonder if the act of copying and downloading the file had an effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Don't know if you made this one for us using a trailer to keep the sample small, but did you try this file on your system to make sure it has the problem?
If it does have the problem can you send us the server log and any ffmpeg logs generated when you try to play this back on the ATV?

Thanks

FrostByte

Bigmack3000 isn't on .70, his log says he is running .48 still.

I would suggest installing the latest stable first, just in case that helps and so that we're all on the same page when testing.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

Bigmack3000

Those logs further up are from before I updated.  I've been on .70 since then.  I just attempted to play it on my shield and it stuttered through the trailer and the sound was out of sync.  I played it on my android phone and it played without any issues. I've attached a log of it to this post.

embyserver (4).txt

Could you perform the same test again but turn off debug logging?
You only want to turn that on if asked otherwise it just creates to much noise in the file to try and follow.
After that run the rotate log file job from the Schedule Tasks menu.

Do you playback on ATV and then upload the file.
If you see an ffmpeg log file for the time span of this test grab that and upload it as well.

Thanks

FrostByte

Okay, well I'm seeing problems also when using Exoplyaer.

When using ATV or the standard Android app the audio is way off with Exoplayer.

However, if I use VLC as an external player in either app then the sound is perfect.

Was it direct playing for you FrostByte?  On ATV were you getting software decoding of audio or not?

Bigmack3000

Ok I turned off debug. I played the trailer on my shield.  Then I played it on my phone and ran rotate log file. Logs attached.  the last ffmpeg file was from this morning so I don't think it includes anything for this, but I included it as well, just in case.  

I'm not exactly sure how to answer the ATV question.  My server and shield are connected with an ethernet cable.

embyserver.txt embyserver-63783650445.txt ffmpeg-transcode-6a88ee76-6155-453e-b474-24a2adafa93c_1.txt

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Was it direct playing for you FrostByte?  On ATV were you getting software decoding of audio or not?

Yes, Direct Play.  And it doesn't take long to see/hear it going off. 

Nothing in the embyserver.txt file except what it writes immediately after doing the rotate.  Did you rotate the log then do the playback?

FrostByte

Maybe it has something to do with framerate switching, or some other option.  I'll have to play around with some of the settings as I don't have any of these set

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Yes, Direct Play.  And it doesn't take long to see/hear it going off. 

That's strange you get different results.

@Bigmack3000 is it possible to try another conversion of the same trailer.  Rename it V2 or something.  This time have it change the audio to either AAC or MP3 2 channel stereo instead of using AC3.

I'm wondering if it's something in the audio stream causing the issue.

2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Maybe it has something to do with framerate switching, or some other option.  I'll have to play around with some of the settings as I don't have any of these set

You could try these settings enabled and try it with downmix audio as well to see if it makes a difference.

Allow TrueHD Pass-thru
Audio Output Downmix to Stereo
Enable Refresh Rate Switching
Match Video Resolution

• Like 1

FrostByte
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

You could try these settings enabled and try it with downmix audio as well to see if it makes a difference.

Allow TrueHD Pass-thru
Match Video Resolution

Okay, setting Down mix to stereo and now everything is synced

Bigmack3000
44 minutes ago, cayars said:

Nothing in the embyserver.txt file except what it writes immediately after doing the rotate.  Did you rotate the log then do the playback?

Oops no i did that backwards.  How's this?

embyserver.txt

FrostByte
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Allow TrueHD Pass-thru
Match Video Resolution

None of the other settings changed anything.  Just the downmix to stereo

• Thanks 1

Bigmack3000

Interesting.  That did work.  But if I leave that setting on, won't it take away any surround sound for all the other files?

Yes it would be this helps us narrow down the problem.

So it looks like the audio track is out of spec at least for AC3 stereo files using that program.  What you can try now is converting the file again but this time choose AAC or MP3 to use.  Maybe that won't have the issue. Obviously the best solution is not to produce files that have out of spec tracks. :)

Meanwhile @ebr, can try and duplicate results to see if there is anything internal in the app that can be done but of course will depend on what the issue is.