Emby stopped working... Is it dead now?

badfrogg

badfrogg

I was awesome for a a year or so but now it's dead. I have a FreeBSD server 11.2 running emby 4.2.1.0

Is there any way to fix this? Really don't want to start over. It was soooo much work getting everything working the first time.

badfrogg

Oh yeah, should have included that I am using Roku as client. It dose still work from a web browser but that is not useful to me.

Hi there, what exactly is the problem that you're having? Can you update Emby Server to the latest version (4.5.4) ?

Happy2Play

So you are saying client/app updated and not longs works with server v4.2.1.0, correct?

badfrogg
35 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what exactly is the problem that you're having? Can you update Emby Server to the latest version (4.5.4) ?

I wish I knew how....

34 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So you are saying client/app updated and not longs works with server v4.2.1.0, correct?

Probably. I don't remember Roku saying anything about an update but sounds highly probable. 

• Like 1

Baenwort

You'll likely have to move to at least 11.4 on your FreeNAS version to upgrade your Emby server.

How did you install Emby to start? Plug-in or manually? 

badfrogg
8 hours ago, Baenwort said:

You'll likely have to move to at least 11.4 on your FreeNAS version to upgrade your Emby server.

How did you install Emby to start? Plug-in or manually? 

It's not FreeNAS. It is a mini PC running a headless FreeBSD install. I do not remember how I installed Emby. All I remember is the install instructions on the Emby freeBSD install page did not work. I worked on this for days searching Google but don't remember what in the end finally worked. That was like two years ago.

So do I have to start from scratch? Did Emby change in the last few year? I thought it was open and free. Seems like that is not the case anymore 

MRobi

FreeBSD 11.2 - Released June 22, 2018

Emby 4.2.1.0 - Released Aug 8, 2019

Regular maintenance and updates on your server should be done so you don't get into a situation where you are several years behind on updates. Yes, things change over time and keeping up on releases will minimize breaking changes. But trying to jump 2 years worth of releases is just potentially opening yourself up to big risk of having to start from scratch. Think of it like doing an oil change on your car. It'll run for quite a while past the oil change date, but eventually something is going to break and when that happens it may just be best to get a new car.

Not having any details on how you installed makes it very hard for anybody to walk you through how to update it, and even with that info I don't think anybody could guarantee at this point that an update would work without causing other things to break.

Baenwort
6 hours ago, MRobi said:

FreeBSD 11.2 - Released June 22, 2018

Emby 4.2.1.0 - Released Aug 8, 2019

Regular maintenance and updates on your server should be done so you don't get into a situation where you are several years behind on updates. Yes, things change over time and keeping up on releases will minimize breaking changes. But trying to jump 2 years worth of releases is just potentially opening yourself up to big risk of having to start from scratch. Think of it like doing an oil change on your car. It'll run for quite a while past the oil change date, but eventually something is going to break and when that happens it may just be best to get a new car.

Not having any details on how you installed makes it very hard for anybody to walk you through how to update it, and even with that info I don't think anybody could guarantee at this point that an update would work without causing other things to break.

I would suggest walking through the releases but I'm not sure if all the in-between releases are even available any longer? FreeBSD 11.2 was EOLed on October 31st 2019 and the version of Emby 4.3.0.18 but 4.3.0.26 was released not long after that and is still available. 

If you take a snapshot of your jail and try installing 4.3.0.26 you'll be closer?  After that try stepping up your FreeBSD version to a newer one before you move onto a newer emby version. Your best shot is to walk up the release change by point revisions up the 4.x line. Sticking with stable versions.  You'll need to switch to FreeBSD 11.4 at some point as FreeBSD11.3 is EOL and if you're going to do this work you'll want to get caught back up.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.3.0.26/emby-server-freebsd11_4.3.0.26_amd64.txz is the location of the 4.3.0.26 for FreeaBSD11.2

• 4 months later...
badfrogg

Sorry.  I gave up on this long ago. It was a tremendous effort getting it to work the first time. Just didn't have the stomach to do it over again. Maybe one day when I retire and have nothing better to do. You can close this issue.

Thanks. 

Yes, I'd be happy to try and give you a hand if you would like remotely.

badfrogg

That is super nice of you both. The server has been disconnected and is in the bottom of a parts bin now . I would have to start from scratch and install a current version of BSD, setup ssh, ftp, hdd, etc.. after all that installing emby was pretty easy from what I remember. Problem is that I am so busy with work that I just don't even have the time or mental constitution right now. I am an engineer and work for military and my life is very stressful at the moment.

Thanks again though.