Files Disappearing in Finder during Library Scan

itsruddy

itsruddy

Running into a pretty big issue on an M1 Mac Mini that took me some time to isolate. The moment I create a Library, and the initial scan begins, files in Finder (within the path of the Library) start to disappear. It's as if the external drive is being wiped out clean. Thankfully, that's not the case! Once I exit Emby, and restart the Mini, all files are back to normal. I tried running the Mini without Emby open for a few days, and was not able to reproduce this issue. Opening files worked fine. Further, this issue was not present on my previous Intel Mini. If it's worth noting, the path to this Library is on an external drive (APFS Formatted.)

Something else worth pointing out, after a reboot during my troubleshooting, I opened Emby and it prompted me to setup all the initial settings I had already done before (Language, User, Password, Library, etc.) It's as if all the settings previously stored were erased.

Anyone else having this issue? Let me know if I can be more helpful by providing additional info.

Hi, so you can't see the files in Finder, can you access them from a terminal command?

I have seen the files become 'locked' in Windows before.. assuming it has something to do with the 'file monitoring' aspect of Emby.  Funny thing is this is the sort of behavior you get when using an IT file monitoring/auditing system. You can lock files or make then unavailable, use to depend on the settings you put forth. Also could be security software. Hopefully not proprietary aspects of Apple/Mac.

• 4 weeks later...
AZRichG

Weird indeed!

Never seen this (fingers crossed) and I don't have an M1 mac yet. Glad to see it does work on the M1s though. Mostly.

Are you still seeing this? If yes, then I'd be interested to know if you still see it after the MacOS 11.3 update next week.