Automatically choose HD version from Emby Server

plittlefield

plittlefield

Is there a way to set a default version of a movie when offered from a Server?

The server I use sometimes offers up to 4 different versions of a movie such as '4K' , 'FHD', 'HD' and 'SD' which the original files have been encoded for various reasons.

I would like the Apple TV client device to default to 'HD' (which is 720p AC3 MP4 direct play) when it is offered from the server.

If I do not select it, I sometimes mistakingly choose '4K' as it runs in alphabetical order on the menu and this does not play for me.

Is this possible to choose a version?

corey

There’s currently no way to set a default in the app. You can go to the Select Audio of Subtitles screen to pick a specific version however. 

plittlefield

Sorry for the late reply.

The only thing wrong is my rubbish internet connection 🙂 so anything over Full HD is a non starter.

I think the HD 720p versions from the Emby Server are just fine, so no complaints there!

Thanks anyway and I'll just keep choosing the correct version manually until a possible setting is enabled.

If the issue is bandwidth then I would just set the quality setting in the app. You can also set it on the server under network settings, just be advised it will apply to all remote connections to your server. It can also be done individually for each user.

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft
On 29/03/2021 at 06:01, Luke said:

If the issue is bandwidth then I would just set the quality setting in the app. You can also set it on the server under network settings, just be advised it will apply to all remote connections to your server. It can also be done individually for each user.

and I have found that if you do anything over the internet, I have to set my clients (LG, Apple TV and phones) to a manual setting just under my upload capacity (e.g. if a max of 38mbps upstream, set for 1080p 30mbps) from the server else it transcodes everything to lower quality, often when 99.9% of stuff is direct playable and is direct played if I put that setting. Mentioned this ages ago but no improvements as yet to the detection of bandwidth on Automatic.

Edited by unisoft