External Access not working

YouHaveAMediaObsession

YouHaveAMediaObsession

The server works  on local network, but I am completely unable to make access the server through External connections.

I am trying to access my server using my phone on LTE with Wifi turned off.  Result: Connection Failure

Using the http://www.canyouseeme.org/ webpage, my results were:

Success: I can see your service on xx.xxx.xxx.xx on port (8096)

I already forwarded the ports on my router and added the inbound connections to the windows firewall.

My router: NETGEAR ROUTER R7000P

IP: XFINITY (My IP is dynamic)

Connection: Wired

download speed of 139 mbps

upload speed of 6.54 mbps

latency of 20

The Remote WAN and canyouseeme.org match as well

2c8e02d4f88c31273d4f37a5f30b3eea.png.994f5aa71e01c57bc1e22deeb7aa7a6c.png0b2a44b05ea960d393af9a747238aed2.thumb.png.0a01ec4ee9ef77c623e9297a0a1e1050.pngdc364227967e9d6e861da9b8b0a54af2.png.4a6a9992cb10e73b31ea10d6c388ceb9.pngdite the prcoess

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have combed over several forum posts to no avail. Logs are attached

Thanks for all your help and time

embyserver.txt

Hello YouHaveAMediaObsession,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

What is failing?  Are you attempting to use Connect or are you manually entering your WAN address?  

Note using your forum information I see no issue getting to manual login.

YouHaveAMediaObsession

I was using Emby Connect, but you're right the server does seem to work now. However, this issue seems to come up frequently; more times than not, people using external connections say the emby connect link doesn't work or the emby app will timeout and say the connection was refused. Would you happen to know what would cause this?

Happy2Play
Just now, YouHaveAMediaObsession said:

I was using Emby Connect, but you're right the server does seem to work now. However, this issue seems to come up frequently; more times than not, people using external connections say the emby connect link doesn't work or the emby app will timeout and say the connection was refused. Would you happen to know what would cause this?

Only thing I can think of is how often is your WAN address changing?  I am not sure of the interval you server will update this information.  I believe @Lukementioned every few hours though.

arx237

It would seem your router has integrated dynamic dns and openvpn. I would recommend you go that route instead and cut emby connect out of the loop.  You can also do as I have done and buy your own domain name for a few bucks a year. 

For me the security of a vpn is worth the resulting lower bandwidth due to encryption.  On my phone the difference between direct playing and a restricted 720p@3mb is pretty minimal. Make sure you add the ip range assigned by openvpn to the local networks list in emby. 

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-openvpn-and-dynamicdns-netgears-nighthawk-r7000-wi-fi-router

• Like 1

I'd agree if you have your IP changing often.  A dynamic DNS service would allow you to setup the client to check every few minutes the IP and update the dns record a lot faster.

If you set this up in the router itself (even better) the router will take care of this for you automatically when it sees the IP change for almost instant dns change.

You then have your users login by DNS name and with the ID/password setup DIRECTLY on your server.  It's a much more foolproof method that just works but will take a small amount of time to setup.