Two Emby Servers.... One Client Device?

sross44

sross44

This may not be in the right section, if so I apologize in advance.

So I have a unique setup that I'm curious if someone can help me out on. I run two Emby Servers. The first one is at my house that I use for Live TV, recordings and the such. The second I keep running at my folks house more as a headless server that I share with my family for movies, tv series etc. The reason for this is the difference in internet provider. At my house my max upload speed is 40mbps. At my folks it's a gig up and down with no data cap. 

Anyway.... Is it possible for myself to log in to an emby client and have it see both servers? So I'd be able to see Movies, TV series etc from the one server as well as seeing the Live TV/Recordings from the other? I know it's easily doable on Plex, but I hate Plex for a lot of reasons and I'm hoping I can make this work somehow with Emby. I know I could switch between servers every time in the client, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on how to make this work would be very much appreciated! 

rechigo

If you're asking if you can merge the content from two separate servers and display it all at once without switching servers, that is not currently possible. The closest you can get to that, like you mentioned in the OP, is adding multiple servers to your Emby client and switching between them.

• Like 2

sross44

Yeah I didn't think it was possible. It's one of the few things that I actually like better from Plex. That you can have things from multiple servers show up in your view. Appreciate the quick response though!! I wonder if it's something Emby may add in the future? 

rbjtech

It's perfectly possible - you just need to setup a VPN and use it like any other remote storage.  It's no different to a NAS the only difference is you're sharing over the WAN (VPN) as opposed to the local network.

With the WAN speeds you are talking about - it could be very usable.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jason'sEmby

I'm also curious about this, so if they were both in the same location then would it be possible? Or it's still not possible?

1 hour ago, Jason'sEmby said:

I'm also curious about this, so if they were both in the same location then would it be possible? Or it's still not possible?

Hi, If they were both in the same location there shouldn't be a need for two servers.  You could just mount the drives from the other system (file server/NAS) to the one location running your Emby Server.

Jason'sEmby

Hi Cayars hope all is well. My thought process was having two separate servers works out better as if someone has to transcode a movie and another person is watching live TV it causes that user to buffer when the movie initially starts up because the transcoder is just on and off. The transcoder doesn't have a smooth balance when a live TV user is watching TV:). 

This is likely hardware dependant.  I have zero issue with Live TV and Movies playing back at the same time but I also use an Nvidia GPU to offload transcoding from the CPU which makes a huge difference.

Are you running into this issue with the server you have listed in your sig?  Based on specs alone that's a much better machine than what I'm running for my Emby server which is a first gen i7 and GTX 1650.

Jason'sEmby

Yes but I haven't tried it out in about 7 beta updates as I'm using Plex at the moment. Waiting for a Roku release from server fix:). 

17 minutes ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Yes but I haven't tried it out in about 7 beta updates as I'm using Plex at the moment. Waiting for a Roku release from server fix:). 

Boo. LOL

Latest Roku Emby client is running fine for me with Server Beta 4.6.0.39.

• Haha 1

access

My house has a max upload speed of 40mbps and I have 5-7 people using Emby outside my house at most times. I have some Duel Xeons and ZFS but certainly the Internet connection isn't your limitation.

Edited by access

Jason'sEmby
9 minutes ago, access said:

My house has a max upload speed of 40mbps and I have 5-7 people using Emby outside my house at most times. I have some Duel Xeons and ZFS but certainly the Internet connection isn't your limitation.

Correct I have gig upload and download direct to ont:). Two separate computers would be the best option. I know Luke is working on when you have two separate gpus in the computer you can dedicate each gpu to do different things(down the road). Along with being able to transcode on multiple gpus. I tested it with a couple TVs watching live TV started up the movie transcoding and sure enough they buffered. Emby is going to be my go to live TV soon though:). 

• 2 years later...
Garfield1983

Hello everyone

has there been any updates for Emby to "merge" 2 or several servers together?

Actually I'm building a new NAS in addition with the existing one. I'd like to know if (except switching from a server to another) it could be possible using 1 client and getting all the server s files on my client?

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Garfield1983 said:

Hello everyone

has there been any updates for Emby to "merge" 2 or several servers together?

Actually I'm building a new NAS in addition with the existing one. I'd like to know if (except switching from a server to another) it could be possible using 1 client and getting all the server s files on my client?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Emby apps can connect to multiple servers. You just have to switch between them and view one at a time.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:20 AM, Garfield1983 said:

Actually I'm building a new NAS in addition with the existing one.

Hi.  You could just have one server that access the media on both NAS devices...

• 1 month later...
solidsnakex37
On 12/8/2023 at 5:22 PM, Luke said:

Hi, Emby apps can connect to multiple servers. You just have to switch between them and view one at a time.

I'm currently trying to do just this, for example in the Emby Android app I choose "Change Server" then I see the server I'm connected to, plus "Add Server", but if I choose add server, add my second Emby server (the beta version), it then replaces the existing server I'm connected to.

I guess I imagined the "Add Server" option to actually add a second connection where I could easily and quickly switch between multiple servers, without having to enter my server information each time. Is that not the case?

7 hours ago, solidsnakex37 said:

I'm currently trying to do just this, for example in the Emby Android app I choose "Change Server" then I see the server I'm connected to, plus "Add Server", but if I choose add server, add my second Emby server (the beta version), it then replaces the existing server I'm connected to.

I guess I imagined the "Add Server" option to actually add a second connection where I could easily and quickly switch between multiple servers, without having to enter my server information each time. Is that not the case?

It is the case, when it's actually two servers. When they're the same server, then it merges with an existing one.

solidsnakex37
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It is the case, when it's actually two servers. When they're the same server, then it merges with an existing one.

Just to make sure I am clear, what's considered the same server? Two instances (docker containers) of Emby running on a single node? Or are we strictly speaking two separate Emby Server instances? 

They are running on the same machine but on different external host names etc
http://192.168.1.170:8097 - 4.7 Stable
http://192.168.1.170:8099 - 4.8 Beta

If it is an issue with them running on the same machine, any recommendations to get this to work? Maybe put the beta server behind another VLAN so the local IP is different? 

1 minute ago, solidsnakex37 said:

Just to make sure I am clear, what's considered the same server? Two instances (docker containers) of Emby running on a single node? Or are we strictly speaking two separate Emby Server instances? 

They are running on the same machine but on different external host names etc
http://192.168.1.170:8097 - 4.7 Stable
http://192.168.1.170:8099 - 4.8 Beta

If it is an issue with them running on the same machine, any recommendations to get this to work? Maybe put the beta server behind another VLAN so the local IP is different? 

Hi. How did you install the second server?  Any chance you copied the server ID across the two?

solidsnakex37
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. How did you install the second server?  Any chance you copied the server ID across the two?

When I set up the beta image and installed a second instance, I took a copy of the appdata and put that in appdata/embyserver-beta. Then I went through a test upgrade and got everything running moving from 4.7 to 4.8. Though, on that beta install the container IDs are different, when you mention server ID which are you referring to? 

When I configured the beta server it's on it's own ports, configured with it's own external URL etc

Edited by solidsnakex37
spelling

utiac

Also very interested in this topic. I'm running two servers on Debian Linux - one is running on the host on port 8096 and the other inside a systemd container on port 9096 with its own IP address - the container is completely isolated from the host. I don't seem to have trouble switching between Emby instances via my web browser using their respective URLs,  but we use a Roku TV to watch in our family room and the switching between servers on Roku doesn't go well. Switching servers often presents the same content (as if one didn't switch at all), so it seems this may be Roku caching the content. If anyone has tips to make this switch more reliable, I'd appreciate hearing.

Additonally, Roku seems to have no way to delete an Emby server once configured. I haven't done so yet, but it seems the only way to do this may be to remove the Emby Roku app and start over. 

6 hours ago, solidsnakex37 said:

I took a copy of the appdata and put that in appdata/embyserver-beta.

Okay, so that is why they show up as the same server in the apps.  Shut down your beta instance and find the file "device.txt" under the embyserver-beta/data folder. Delete that file and re-start your beta server.

Now you should be able to get them to both show up in your apps.

• Thanks 1

solidsnakex37
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Okay, so that is why they show up as the same server in the apps.  Shut down your beta instance and find the file "device.txt" under the embyserver-beta/data folder. Delete that file and re-start your beta server.

Now you should be able to get them to both show up in your apps.

This did the trick! Thank you so much! 

utiac

At the risk of re-opening this thread, I posted above that I could not find a way to delete Emby instances on Roku platform. That is a mistake - I did find this and was able to delete and re-add the two instances I have running. I'll need more time to investigate the (potential) Roku caching issues.

• Thanks 1