Pan&Scan/Crop video

izzy198888

izzy198888

I see the web player has a ''Aspect Ratio: Cover'' option. Are there any plans for implementing this in the Samsung app? The ''Fill'' option is useless, and the ''Auto'' does nothing.

SamES

The fill option doesn’t seem to be possible. The player window can’t be larger than the actual screen and there isn’t a method to crop the video in Samsung TV. There is one thing I can try but I’m sure it tried it before and it didn’t  work. I’ll check again just to be sure. 

izzy198888
18 hours ago, SamES said:

The fill option doesn’t seem to be possible. The player window can’t be larger than the actual screen and there isn’t a method to crop the video in Samsung TV. There is one thing I can try but I’m sure it tried it before and it didn’t work. I’ll check again just to be sure.

You mean the Cover option  doesn’t seem to be possible? The Fill option is already in the Samsung app.

Please let me know if you get it working. Or if there is some kind of script that I Could use.

SamES
On 19/03/2021 at 01:08, izzy198888 said:

You mean the Cover option  doesn’t seem to be possible? The Fill option is already in the Samsung app

Yes, you are correct.  What do you mean by the Fill option is useless?  You mean it works, but isn't much use for you correct?

izzy198888
2 hours ago, SamES said:

Yes, you are correct. What do you mean by the Fill option is useless? You mean it works, but isn't much use for you correct?

Yes. By ''useless'' I mean it's working, but I don't want to use it since it stretches the image to fit the screen, which results in a stretched faces and objects. 

So the cover (crop) option is not possible on Samsung TV?

Guess I'll stick to watching movies on Kodi via my PC for now. Shame, Emby seemed almost perfect. If you ever get this feature functional, you get a new monthly Premiere subscriber.

SamES

The full option was actually added to temporarily resolve some videos from mobile phones that have rotation data that we don’t handle yet. 

I can understand your avoidance of the fill option for your case.  Personally I’ve  always avoided the cover option as well as it ends up cropping the image which I also see as a problem.

I will try and test another way to do the cover option but I’m fairly sure I tried that before so I’m not hopeful. 

izzy198888

Thank you for your effort. 

The built in Samsung video player has an option to crop video in the menu under ''Picture Size''. It would be great if Emby could have an option to play a video with Samsung built-in player. The player plays videos without a flaw, but the main problem is that the TV doesn't support DTS/HD & THD, and 90% of my videos use those codecs.

SamES
15 hours ago, izzy198888 said:

Thank you for your effort. 

The built in Samsung video player has an option to crop video in the menu under ''Picture Size''. It would be great if Emby could have an option to play a video with Samsung built-in player. The player plays videos without a flaw, but the main problem is that the TV doesn't support DTS/HD & THD, and 90% of my videos use those codecs.

Unfortunately we are limited to the options exposed by the Samsung player.

I was going to try this method, but when I read it again, I know why it didn't work last time I checked.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/api-references/samsung-product-api-references/avplay-api.html#AVPlay-AVPlayManager-setDisplayMethod

It only has 3 modes, none of which give as the 'crop' option you are after:

• PLAYER_DISPLAY_MODE_LETTER_BOX
  • PLAYER_DISPLAY_MODE_FULL_SCREEN
  • PLAYER_DISPLAY_MODE_AUTO_ASPECT_RATIO

Therefore, I don't think it will be possible to implement crop.  Ideally we would need to create a player window that is bigger that the actual display so that the cropped portion is 'off-screen' but it is not allowed to create a window larger than the display, so this is not an option either.

• Like 1