Chapters for Video Formats Not Supported?

JosephCameron

JosephCameron

I'm running Emby server version 4.5.4.0 on my MacBook Pro (OS X 11.1), and I've noticed recently that Emby no longer seems to support chapter stops for any video format/type; in other words, whether I watch a "movie" or a TV show episode on either my Apple TV or Roku, I cannot access chapters and skip ahead to the next chapter. Because the error occurs on two different types of device, my guess is that there is some problem with the server.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

It certainly isn't a catastrophic problem, but I would be nice for things to work the way they should.

Hi there, have you enabled the video preview thumbnail option for each of your video libraries?

JosephCameron

Thanks for your response, Luke.

I either didn't have video preview thumbnail previously enabled or it disabled itself. In either case, I enabled it following your suggestion, which added a bif file to the media folder, and nothing changed. Just to be thorough, I also restarted Emby server on my MacBook--no change.

Chapters previously worked for me on my Apple TV and Roku, but for some reason don't any more. If it helps diagnose the problem, I noticed that, in addition to the absence of chapter stops in the Emby app, I can no longer see or change audio settings from the dropdown box (see the attached photos). It is the same regardless of whether I try watching my content on the Apple TV app or on my Roku.

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

JosephCameron

If, by "detail screen," you mean what appears in the image below, then no I don't see them. I don't see them when I try to play a video through the web app either.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 4.22.03 PM.png

JosephCameron

OK. I see what you mean about seeing chapters on the detail screen now.

I generated a .bif file for another video and chapters appeared on the detail screens of the web app, the Apple TV app, and the Roku app. However, I still can't access chapters while watching the video, which I was previously able to do. In other words, if I want to skip ahead to another chapter, I have to exit the film and return to the detail screen to do so; I can't just swipe down to see the chapter list as I was able to do previously.

On 3/30/2021 at 11:39 AM, JosephCameron said:

OK. I see what you mean about seeing chapters on the detail screen now.

I generated a .bif file for another video and chapters appeared on the detail screens of the web app, the Apple TV app, and the Roku app. However, I still can't access chapters while watching the video, which I was previously able to do. In other words, if I want to skip ahead to another chapter, I have to exit the film and return to the detail screen to do so; I can't just swipe down to see the chapter list as I was able to do previously.

Hi, in the Apple TV app, chapter selection during video playback is currently only supported when the native player option in the app is selected. We haven't yet added this for mpv-based playback.

Mpv is the default. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll want to change the option as the mpv player has greater format support that can direct play more formats without server transcoding, which is generally very desirable.

We will of course be supporting these consistently with both player options in future updates. Thanks.

JosephCameron

I got it. Thanks for your help.

I'll just add the following to help you help others as well as for future consideration:

1. The Apple TV app doesn't say "native player option" in the settings; it says "enable MPV." Saying "native player option" might confuse some users.
  2. I disabled MPV on my Apple TV app only because most of my videos are formatted for the Apple ecosystem. Disabling MPV allowed me to change the subtitle and audio tracks from the swipe-down menu, but I still need to exit the film to access chapters (I'll be patient and wait for a future update for this fix for the latter). Disabling MPV also alleviated another problem that I've been experiencing lately when watching videos which I haven't described above: namely that, while watching a video, attempting see how far along I am does not display the bar that displays the time; instead, it makes the player scan ahead. No more with MPV disabled.
  3. I was hoping that disabling MPV would also alleviate another problem I consistently encounter when attempting to listen to music on the Apple TV app (not on the Roku), but it didn't. What happens when I listen to music--whether an album or playlist--is that the bar that displays the time within a track is blank (not a big deal) and every even-numbered track plays the first 30 seconds or so and then jumps back to the beginning of the track.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 10:20 AM, JosephCameron said:

I got it. Thanks for your help.

I'll just add the following to help you help others as well as for future consideration:

1. The Apple TV app doesn't say "native player option" in the settings; it says "enable MPV." Saying "native player option" might confuse some users.
  2. I disabled MPV on my Apple TV app only because most of my videos are formatted for the Apple ecosystem. Disabling MPV allowed me to change the subtitle and audio tracks from the swipe-down menu, but I still need to exit the film to access chapters (I'll be patient and wait for a future update for this fix for the latter). Disabling MPV also alleviated another problem that I've been experiencing lately when watching videos which I haven't described above: namely that, while watching a video, attempting see how far along I am does not display the bar that displays the time; instead, it makes the player scan ahead. No more with MPV disabled.
  3. I was hoping that disabling MPV would also alleviate another problem I consistently encounter when attempting to listen to music on the Apple TV app (not on the Roku), but it didn't. What happens when I listen to music--whether an album or playlist--is that the bar that displays the time within a track is blank (not a big deal) and every even-numbered track plays the first 30 seconds or so and then jumps back to the beginning of the track.

Hi @JosephCameron, we'll look at improving this. Thanks for the feedback.