Android Mobile App "No compatible streams are currently available" When Using HTTPS Externally

JaysinPlante
Go to solution Solved by JaysinPlante,

JaysinPlante

Hi,

I recently setup a Raspberry Pi 4B/8GB as an Emby media server. Things are for the most part going great, but I ran into a problem when enforcing HTTPS externally. Over HTTPS, web browser media playing works fine, but the Emby Android Mobile App doesn't. I can browse the content on the media server, but trying to play any will result in a long loading icon followed by the error "No compatible streams are currently available". If I disable HTTPS enforcement and switch to using HTTP, the App works without issue. 

I tried searching the forums for an answer and located two similar (but not exactly the same) topics:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57844-playback-error-no-compatible-streams-are-currently-available/page/2/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/95362-cant-connect-to-emby-server-with-app-android-through-https-from-outside-the-network/&tab=comments#comment-989045

In each case it seems the problem stems from the use of HTTPS. Is this a known issue? I'm attaching the latest log file from the Android App, the attempt to view the content occurred at timestamp Mon Mar 15 22:09:10 EDT 2021. I'm also attaching the latest log file from the Media Server. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

Versions:

• Media Server: Emby Server 4.5.4.0
  • Android App: Emby for Android 3.1.73

Thank you,

Jaysin

Edited by JaysinPlante
Removed Logs due to FQDN presence in them

• Solution
JaysinPlante

Hi,

Sorry for the double post, but I do have an update. I noticed that Emby for Android 3.1.80 was available for download, so I updated my phone to that version. However, the problem did persist. So I got to thinking, when I connect to the server via the App's Select Server option while external, I get the expected certificate warning as my certificate is signed by a private CA I own and I hadn't yet installed it as trusted on my device (wasn't planning to as it was supposed to be temporary). I accept the warning and proceed to browse the content. I figured, what if it's the certificate warning causing the problem? (I do plan on getting a valid certificate once I get a valid domain.) I installed my CA as a trusted root authority on my phone, disabled WiFi, restarted the App, and sure enough, it worked.

So for anyone having a similar problem with HTTPS enforced externally and the Android mobile app, ensure your CA is installed on your device as a Trusted Root Certification Authority or obtain a publicly trusted certificate (I haven't tried yet, but I assume Let's Encrypt works). I use HTTP internally, so I don't know what the effects are for HTTPS internally. But hey, I'll call this a win!

Thank you,

Jaysin