Emby transcoding when it should not.

dawkid
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dawkid

I have had this problem with various videos for a long time but it is driving me nuts. I thought I had a solution, but no.

When I play some videos through DLNA on my Sony BDP-S3700, Emby wants to transcode and it doesn't need to. The first few minutes of the video is unwatchable because of stuttering and then it smooths out. This became an issue again because I thought I had a fix but no I don't.

The particular video that I am dealing with now had an audio codec of Eac3 which the player does not support. I recoded it to ac3 which it does but Emby still wants to transcode it. I know that the player supports it because I have Playon server on another PC and it has a neat feature that allows you to force direct play on a file type. So the video plays fine in direct play mode using the recoded ac3 codec. It did not play using the Eac3 codec.

I think I may need to make a profile for the S3700 but I don't know where to start. I have other videos that transcode when they don't need to, for other reasons.

Another oddity, I don't know if this is an issue or not. If I go to the Emby server home screen from a PC, select the movie, and then select the audio codec that I want, exit from the movie selection and then go back in, the audio codec selection does not stay. It always reverts  back to what it was.

hardware_detection-63751361862.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-ca85e965-4395-4ab5-81d9-c108629af7b3_1.txt

Another oddity, I don't know if this is an issue or not. If I go to the Emby server home screen from a PC, select the movie, and then select the audio codec that I want, exit from the movie selection and then go back in, the audio codec selection does not stay. It always reverts  back to what it was.

Hi, you need to actually start playing for this to take effect.

51 minutes ago, dawkid said:

Thanks. I see. So that is just for that particular player, not the server for every device.

No, it will be saved, just not until you start playing.

dawkid
10 hours ago, Luke said:

No, it will be saved, just not until you start playing.

OK I think I understand.

Update.

I tried playing the video from a pc through the browser and it gave me the same behavior. (Stuttering at the beginning) In this case a device shows up in the Emby dashboard which says it is direct streaming. When I click the information icon it says "The media is compatible with the device regarding resolution and media type (H.264, AC3, etc.), but is in an incompatible file container (.mkv, .avi, .wmv, etc.). The video will be re-packaged on the fly before streaming it to the device."

I assume that the file is being re-packaged when playing through the S3700 also. There is no noticeable uptick in cpu or gpu usage but the c drive gets hammered at 100%.

The S3700 never shows up as a device in the dashboard. (Except once a few months ago I happened to be looking at the dash board and the S3700 showed up for a split second and then disappeared.)

Regarding the transcoding, are you sure the player supports eac3? It's not in our sony bluray dlna player profiles so yes, that means you'd have to add it.

In the 4.6 beta server I have been working on automatic detection for dlna renderers, although i don't know if eac3 will ever be handled automatically because the information we get doesn't allow us to distinguish between ac3 and eac3.

Anyhow, I've implemented this automatic detection so far for both audio and photos and it's working well. I haven't done video yet as it's a bit more complex, but it's on the to do list. Lucky for you I also have a sony bluray player for testing. I think it might be the same model but I don't remember for sure off the top of my head.

dawkid
16 hours ago, dawkid said:

The particular video that I am dealing with now had an audio codec of Eac3 which the player does not support.

Yes you are correct. The player does not support eac3. When I tried to direct play the file from the playon server with eac3 only, it displayed an error saying audio codec not supported and then played the video with no audio.

I re-coded it to ac3 and left the eac3 codec in the container and that file direct played fine from the playon server with no stuttering no errors.

Emby still doesn't like the new file with ac3 in it. It almost seems like it doesn't like the combination of audio codec and container. I was thinking of changing the mp4 container to mkv to see if that would make a difference.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Lucky for you I also have a sony bluray player for testing. I think it might be the same model but I don't remember for sure off the top of my head.

Wow That's cool.

• Solution

Did you run a library scan after replacing the file? That log still shows eac3 which suggests the server is not yet aware of the change.

dawkid

I might not have. I think I didn't. I just tried it again after doing a scan and it seems to be playing without any sign of transcoding or re-packaging and it is playing flawlessly.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, dawkid said:

I might not have. I think I didn't. I just tried it again after doing a scan and it seems to be playing without any sign of transcoding or re-packaging and it is playing flawlessly.

Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback.