emby server installed on WDMyCloudEX2Ultra, works, but seems to crash often

Thomas134

Thomas134

I am evaluating which solution I want for my videos, tried Plex (no options for a qualified search and filtering) and found emby. I installed yesterday on a WDMyCloudEX2Ultra (first on OS3, then after its update to 5 on OS5). I managed to include some directories and directories from other NAS as well. I can filter like I want, change information for videos and lock them, filter for childrens age, create playlists which work on all devices  - many wishes seem to work. And there is a promising API, maybe for the future. I can access from TV via web (unfortunately my big TV is too old for a emby app), from PC, from Ipad, Iphone 🙂 Sounds promising all.

BUT

this morning the server was dead, now after some fetching of pictures for the videos or something like that, he's dead again.
How/Where do I find logs to find out the reason or at least be able to ask someone?

Edited by Thomas134

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happens?

Thanks.

Thomas134

now, I have managed to find the logs. Sorry for my first unorganised post
I noticed the following
the first times, the server run again after stopping and starting it (or something like that) from the UI of the WD-NAS.
The last time., the server ran, but i could not start videos from the directories other NAS (http:\\192.168.2.167)
it was Mr.&Mr.Smith, with run only 2 sec.
after a time, emby did not react at all, not even if I stop/start the app from the WD console. So I had to shut down the NAS completely and then restart
I removed the directories from the second NAS from the server and since then it is working.

BTW: the dates in the logs are different from the time of the NAS, so finding the correct one is a little bit difficult.

Thanks, Thomas

embyserver-63751308760.txt

Thomas134

this morning the server is still alive 🙂
So it seems to have something to do with these external drives ( in second NAS). But it should be possible to add additional drives from various Harddisks/NAS to the server, they do not need to be in the servers NAS, do they?

But it should be possible to add additional drives from various Harddisks/NAS to the server, they do not need to be in the servers NAS, do they?

Hi, yes this should not be a problem.

Thomas134
5 hours ago, Luke said:

now, I have added again the directories of a different NAS to the emby server on the first NAS - again: the NAS does not react any more, I will have to restart the whole NAS. Can I avoid this situation, try different settings ? Or might there be a network issue with my NAS. Can you find any reason in the logs?
Or is it a bug?
I was so happy, that emby is installable on WD-NAS, that I need not buy a new one with big new drives...

Thomas134

I now read that the WD Mycloud has a problem with several (other) NAS added to a plex server on a WD MyCloud machine. As stated in this post, it is not possible diue to a restriction of WD. Might it be the same reason for my problems with the emby server doing (in general) the same?
https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-add-several-nas-to-a-plex-server-running-on-a-wd-mycloud/673792

Thomas134
On 3/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, Luke said:

Hi Luke
sorry if I ask again.
I am really interested to use emby, but cannot as it reproducable fails to to add external folders to my server (tried out a different device)
As professional UI tester for software I am willing to invest some time to try out and try to find the reason, but have no insights in things like network connections, linux and so on. Maybe network things affect, I do not know.
But i would like to invest some time (and into a subscription to emby) rather than to buy a NAS/server with drives at the same place (and do not know as well, whether it works)
But I must l know, what to  do. I cannot evaluate the log files.

Best regards
Thomas

• 4 weeks later...