Will only play directors commentary and not main media audio

Dogsbody

Dogsbody

First time poster but loving emby so far, be gentle 😉 I've tried to follow the How to Report a Problem Guide...

Playing certain files via the LG Smart TV app results in the wrong audio being played.

The source file is an mkv and the server logs are attached...

$ ffprobe 09.mkv
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '09.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
    creation_time   : 2011-01-10T19:09:25.000000Z
  Duration: 00:21:40.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8092 kb/s
    Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 489.239000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:00:00.000
    Chapter #0:1: start 489.239000, end 855.730000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:08:09.239
    Chapter #0:2: start 855.730000, end 1267.475000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:14:15.730
    Chapter #0:3: start 1267.475000, end 1300.480000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:21:07.475
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : Futurama S06E09 1080p BluRay DTS x264-CtrlHD
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : English
    Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: aac (HE-AAC), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp
    Metadata:
      title           : Commentary
    Stream #0:3(eng): Subtitle: subrip
    Metadata:
      title           : English

... as you can see this has two audio streams, a 5.1 mix and a stereo directors commentary. 

No matter which I select and how I select it the TV plays the directors commentary.  I have tried picking the stream before clicking play or switching while playing.

If I play the same media via the browser, android app or Chromecast it works perfectly.

In the server log attached shows me playing the media and then trying to switch the audio stream from the 5.1 stream to the stereo stream and back to the 5.1 stream.

Please help. 

Thank you in advance

server.log

SamES

Your TV doesn’t support DTS, so it is automatically playing the next audio track. This is resolved in the next release.  There was another similar post in this forum a few days ago with some hints on a work around 

Edited by SamES

• 3 weeks later...
Dogsbody

Thank you so much for you reply SamES.

I've continued to have issues with this on the LG app. Is there any way to just always get the LG app to ask for transcoded media or for me to somehow specify that emby always transcode?

I don't really want to pre-transcode all my media but I have plenty of CPU to transcode the things I'm watching as I watch them.

Thank you

SamES
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Thank you so much for you reply SamES.

I've continued to have issues with this on the LG app. Is there any way to just always get the LG app to ask for transcoded media or for me to somehow specify that emby always transcode?

I don't really want to pre-transcode all my media but I have plenty of CPU to transcode the things I'm watching as I watch them.

Thank you

The only option at the moment is to drop the bitrate until it is lower than the file you want to play which will force it to transcode. You can do this in the playback quality settings during playback, but remember to set it back to auto for the next thing you want to play.  

Unfortunately this will convert both the video and audio which which is not ideal and may cause you other issues (ie: this might not work well for 4K Hevc files) but to be honest, I think you are far better to manually add an AC3 track to the file once as the first track.  I say this because even when the next version automatically converts just the DTS track, 4K HEVC files may still have playback issues due to the conversion. 

Best info is in this guide

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001984861-why-does-the-emby-app-for-my-lg-tv-not-play-the-dolby-atmos-truehd-audio-without-transcoding-