Audiobooks: Either remove the "Songs" heading or replace it with a "Chapters" heading

Jbbrack03

Jbbrack03

Currently because Audiobooks are mirrored after the Music category, there is a heading on the Audiobooks page for "Songs". This should either be removed or replaced with a heading that lists chapters. Personally I'm fine with just removing it. However it may be useful to other users to have a master list of chapters. So if listing all chapters would be useful to you, then reply this thread and express your interest.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, laie_techie said:

I like the idea of "chapters"

But that is a huge assumption.  The separations may or may not be chapter points.  I think, instead, we'd just have to go generic with something like "tracks".

• Like 1

Jbbrack03
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

But that is a huge assumption.  The separations may or may not be chapter points.  I think, instead, we'd just have to go generic with something like "tracks".

This is one reason that I'm not sure that a "Chapters" or "Tracks" heading is really useful. If all it's doing is showing a master list of tracks/chapters in all books, what's the use-case for it? I think that access to chapters/tracks can be satisfied by having an "Up Next" heading that remembers where you are in a given book, or just browsing the book itself. That's why I personally think that removing the heading makes the most sense. But if someone does have a use-case for having chapters/tracks listed in some sort of master list, then that's why I left this suggestion as being open-ended.

Having a "Songs" heading makes sense in the context of music because the user might want to shuffle the whole library or just start a longer listening session that isn't album-specific. Because books need to be listened to in a specific sequential order, neither of these scenarios really applies. That's why I'm having trouble trying to figure out how sorting by all content in all books provides value.

Edited by Jbbrack03

Is this sort of view common for audio book apps? We could just remove it.

For music, it is common to have an all songs view. For TV, the all episodes view was really only added as a management screen, and if we were just starting out now I would lean towards not having it at all.

• Like 1

negativzeroe
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is this sort of view common for audio book apps? We could just remove it.

For music, it is common to have an all songs view. For TV, the all episodes view was really only added as a management screen, and if we were just starting out now I would lean towards not having it at all.

I cannot think of any reason to have an all songs view for audiobooks.

EDIT: I meant in the main library screen. I like @ebr 's Tracks idea because the files are so haphazard out there.

Edited by negativzeroe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1