Add a Skip Button in player controls [Topic edited for clarification]

JanneKah

JanneKah

Please add a "next item" button on every level. Now it's really annoying when you use emby to resume watchin a TV show. You click on the show to get to the season level, click on the season to get to the episode level, you pick the episode where you left off before by clicking on the play button on the episode...and there's not "next item" button in the player controls. Only if you click on "play all from here" in the dashboard on an episode level you'll get a "next item" button. To make this completely confusing: If you're on the homepage of the dashboard and hit "play all from here" on an item in the "Continue watching" section of the homepage - no "next item" button. Please just add one no matter how you start playing a TV show.

edit: After some talk in this thread I clarified the title. It's all about adding an auto-queue feature without the need to turn on the auto-play feature so you'll always have a skip button available when playing the episode of a TV show.

Edited by JanneKah
  • Like 2

HI, if you go into your emby user playback settings and enable auto playing of next episodes, then all episodes will be added to the play queue so that you can do this.

JanneKah

Thanks, Luke. I know. But as said in the thread I started I don't want the next episode to start automatically. I simply want to skip to the next episode without having to enable autoplay (a nice and useful feature that sucks when you fall asleep :) )

JanneKah

It's not the same though, is it? I'm just asking for adding something that wouldn't take anything away from others and would using emby make a bit more convinient for some users. I appreciate your advices but you're basically saying "use a feature you don't want to get the function you're asking for" aka a workaround. It's not something totally out of line imho but something pretty much every other player/media system has. Don't get me wrong: I like Emby and I don't regret switching over from Plex...just trying to help making it better.

JanneKah

No, it's not. I would love to have the option to skip to the next item whenever I want to. The thread you quoted is about enabling "next video info" when auto-play is disabled. The "next video info" only appears at the end of a video (for the last 45 seconds I believe) which isn't what I'm suggesting.

15 hours ago, JanneKah said:

No, it's not. I would love to have the option to skip to the next item whenever I want to. The thread you quoted is about enabling "next video info" when auto-play is disabled. The "next video info" only appears at the end of a video (for the last 45 seconds I believe) which isn't what I'm suggesting.

The two would go hand-in-hand, however.  IOW - I don't think we would have one without the other because, the way to implement the request I linked to would be to always queue the next items but just turn the logic at the end around so that you have to confirm that you want to watch it instead of it playing automatically.

JanneKah
8 hours ago, ebr said:

The two would go hand-in-hand, however.  IOW - I don't think we would have one without the other because, the way to implement the request I linked to would be to always queue the next items but just turn the logic at the end around so that you have to confirm that you want to watch it instead of it playing automatically.

Right, at least when watching a TV show hitting play on an episode would have to add all upcoming episodes to the queue. It could still have the auto-play-option as it is now and the "are you still watching?"-prompt, couldn't it? If you turn on auto-play it would simply play the next episode automatically, if you turn it off it would go back to the dashboard after the episode. In the end this is all about a "skip to next item" button - I'd like to have it eben when I hit play on a single episode only, so when the end credits start I can decide wether I immediately want to skip to the next episode or not (which I wouldn't want when I unintentionally fell asleep during the episode - auto-play really sucks then :) ).

I hope it's alright to mention it (again): But the way I'd love it to work is exactly how Plex does it. You always see a "skip to next item" button and (additionally) you can turn on auto-play. If you turn it on, it plays the next episode automatically, if you don't turn it on and don't interact, it goes back to the dashboard. But you always have the option to skip to the next item. 

edit: Another thing I tried but that doesn't work either - at least in the web app (not in the android TV app) you have the option to not only hit play on an episode but hit "play all from here"...which seems to add all the upcoming episodes to the queue...but then it auto-plays next episodes even when the option is turned off. So that's not a solution for me either and doesn't work on the Android TV app anyway, unfortunately.

Edited by JanneKah
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JanneKah said:

.but then it auto-plays next episodes even when the option is turned off

HI.  Our option is not "auto play".  It is "auto queue".  That is how it should be labeled.  The player plays all items in the queue.

The FR I linked to would cover what you want.

• Like 1

JanneKah
8 hours ago, ebr said:

HI.  Our option is not "auto play".  It is "auto queue".  That is how it should be labeled.  The player plays all items in the queue.

The FR I linked to would cover what you want.

To be completely specific: what Emby has is a combination of auto-queue and auto-play. Plex actually uses auto-queue-only as default (and that's what I'm asking for)...after playing one episode (with the auto-play option turned off) Plex goes back to the dashboard and shows you the next episode to play ("Next in Queue"). Then you can decide wether you want to play it or not. Or: you can use the skip-to-next-item button while still playing that episode. That's auto-queue. 

Only if you turn on the auto-play-option, it doesn't go back to the dashboard but plays the next episode automatically. And giving the user that choice is what I think is ideal...every user can choose the player behaviour s/he likes.

Jellyfin (which is a fork of Emby as far as I know) does it in a similar way. At least you can turn off autoplay but still have a "skip to next item" button all the time giving you the option to skip but not running into a "damn, I fell asleep and my Mediaplayer went on for hours, let's figure out which episode to play next without missing something"-situation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
JanneKah

Alright, after using Emby for more than a month now I see that @ebr was right, there is an auto-queue going on (even without autoplay turned on). After playing an episode (with autoplay turned off) it shows the next episode on the dashboard ("next up"). So Emby actually adds all episodes to a queue...which makes it even more "mysterious" for me why I don't have the option to skip to the next item in the queue (aka the next episode) while playing an episode. I really don't want to annoy you guys and I think you're doing great work. But this one single missing option makes it really hard for me to enjoy Emby. I would love to not be forced to go through the ending credits of every episode (or ff through them) and go back to the dashboard every single time before I can start the next episode but would love to simply have a skip button in player controls. 

Any news on this one? 

Hi.  If you don't have the auto queue option turned on then there is no auto queuing happening and that's why you don't have a skip button.  The dashboard is just showing you the next up episode based on what you watched before.

If you turn on the auto queue option, you will get both a skip button in the player OSD you can use at any time and a pop up near the end of the item to allow you to skip ahead as well.

We are considering making some changes to this but haven't made any final decisions yet.

JanneKah

@ebrThanks for your reply. So I got you right in the first place? Auto-Queue (with a skip button) only works when you turn on the option "Play next episode automatically" which imho makes it more of a auto-queue+auto-play? There is no way for auto-queue (with a skip button) without auto-play? I just want to be absolutely sure about that.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
JanneKah

It's been almost a year now and all I've heard is "we're looking into it". I switched from Plex to Emby Premium in the beginning of 2021 and made two suggestions in March 2021. Of course I was not expecting that my idea would be implemented immediately...not even at all. But I expected some (real) feedback at least...especially after almost a year. I'm really tired of paying monthly and waiting for some info. I still think this idea is a good one and I still miss this feature since I left Plex (that has this feature). If you don't ever implement it: fine, I can live with it. But I really don't appreciate the way this is handled.

Hi.  We said we were considering a change but we have not decided to actually make that change yet.  It has a broad impact across the entire system and we simply haven't decided to re-design it at this point.

JanneKah

And I got that when you said this almost a year ago. I think my way to "handle" this was of most respect. I made a suggestion and after you told me it will need time to make a decision I asked once! One single time in one year. If that does not show patience I don't know what does. As much as I understood your situation I'm sure you'll also understand mine: One year is too long especially when you pay every single month without being completely satisfied with what you get but you still do it to support this great piece of software. Anyway...I'm out of patience now and will switch back to Plex or try Jellyfin. I honestly wish you the best with Emby. 

Hi.  Sorry, I still don't understand.  If we gave you the impression that this was going to change imminently, I apologize.  What we tried to say is we were considering changing it.  We did not mean to imply that a change was definite.

I still think this is probably something that gets re-designed in some way in the future.

JanneKah

I don't know how you got the impression of me having that impression..I never said I thought a specific feature that I suggested would be implemented asap or implemented at  all (btw that's exactly what my post from 9h ago says...literally).

I made a suggestion and discussed it with you and Luke and I was told a long time ago that "We are discussing possible adjustments" and "We are looking into possible improvements". As a user of course you expect an update once the process of "discussing" and "looking" is finished. Now that one year is over without any feedback on that I simply don't want to wait anymore and expressed my disappointment that even after all this time I don't get anything...and I don't mean the feature I was asking for  just a result of the "discussing" and "looking"...maybe like "nah, we're not going to do it" or "we decided to do it but it will take some time to implement". That's all. Instead I get a "probably...in some way in the future"...which is pretty much the same that was said a year ago.

And I get it. What I'm asking for is probably not easy to do (possible though). But another suggestion I made (and would be much easier to implement imho) got the same "treatment"...and not even an answer anymore after I asked there again yesterday.