Safari can't play audio files

mistercoffee
Go to solution Solved by mistercoffee,

mistercoffee

MacOS 10.13.6, Emby 4.5.4.0, Safari 13.1.2

I had to reboot earlier today and now Safari won't initiate playback for audio files (I don't have video files). When I click a track or click the play button for an album, the track appears at the bottom of the screen as usual, but the track doesn't play and the progress bar doesn't advance. The "play" button in the transport is still visible as if it's paused but clicking it does nothing.

I rebooted and restarted Emby server to no avail.

Everything works in Chrome but I switched to using Safari for Emby a couple months ago because an Emby update made remote-controlling Chrome buggier than Safari. (see https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93615-no-transport-controls-on-remote-player/ )

Anybody else having this issue or have a suggestion?

thanks

Hi, it seems to be OK from my testing, although granted I'm on safari 14+. Can you please supply the contents of the browser debug console? Thanks.

mrfragger

Just say in general I never allow server to transcode videos ever.  All videos have mp4 or mkv as the containers and codecs as either x265 or x264.

For audio though I don't like to allow transcoding audio and generally don't.  Only times it needs if Roku plays music (airplay currently so not using Roku for music streaming any longer) and Safari or any web browser.  Instead just use emby client on whatever OS to solve that problem and then no transcoding whatsoever.

Doing it this way allows me to use 9 year old computers to hosts emby servers without an issue.  I only do 1080p but the 4k movies I used to have seemed to play fine on the Nvidia shield too.