Download vs Streaming

francoisp

francoisp

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm looking at getting Première and I am trying to figure out how playing downloaded music versus streaming music works in relation to each other. By this I mean, if I downloaded a bunch of songs to my phone, will the emby app ever try to stream music that may not have been downloaded while playing a playlist or randomly playing a genre? I hope this question makes sense. I don't mind streaming on wifi but I want to avoid it on cellular.

Edited by francoisp

will the emby app ever try to stream music that may not have been downloaded while playing a playlist or randomly playing a genre?

Hi, yes it will. Once it is downloaded, it will use the downloaded version.

francoisp
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes it will. Once it is downloaded, it will use the downloaded version.

So there is no setting to forbid emby from playing songs that have not been downloaded when not on wifi?

francoisp

You seem to ignore that many of us do not have unlimited data plan.  If my music is not all downloaded then I risk streaming songs that aren't downloaded. Seems to me it would be pretty helpful to have a setting to "only stream over wifi". 

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:46 PM, francoisp said:

You seem to ignore that many of us do not have unlimited data plan.  If my music is not all downloaded then I risk streaming songs that aren't downloaded. Seems to me it would be pretty helpful to have a setting to "only stream over wifi". 

Any reason why you can't choose to play the local downloads ONLY on the device?
This is what I do.

francoisp
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Any reason why you can't choose to play the local downloads ONLY on the device?
This is what I do.

How do you prevent the app from playing songs that are not downloaded? I'm new to the emby Android player and I did not see that option.

3 hours ago, francoisp said:

How do you prevent the app from playing songs that are not downloaded? I'm new to the emby Android player and I did not see that option.

Personally, I'm almost always on WIFI with my phone.  I'm on cellular so little that my phone plan only includes 1 GB of data per month.
So because of this I download movies/shows and stuff to my phone to have so that I won't need any bandwidth for enjoyment when offlan.

First thing I do is turn off cellular data and then go into Emby to my "phone server" which has the content.  When I playback this way there is no network and can be no connectivity since it's turned off.  I just do this out of habit so I can't use any bandwidth I might want for emails and other stuff.

This works for me.  What happens if you try that?

francoisp
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

Personally, I'm almost always on WIFI with my phone.  I'm on cellular so little that my phone plan only includes 1 GB of data per month.
So because of this I download movies/shows and stuff to my phone to have so that I won't need any bandwidth for enjoyment when offlan.

First thing I do is turn off cellular data and then go into Emby to my "phone server" which has the content.  When I playback this way there is no network and can be no connectivity since it's turned off.  I just do this out of habit so I can't use any bandwidth I might want for emails and other stuff.

This works for me.  What happens if you try that?

I'm on the road quite a bit and I need cellular for MMS and emails, and I don't want to risk streaming music on cellular. For now I'll stick with Google Music as it allows wifi-only streaming. That's why I don't use Spotify: no wifi-only streaming.

• Like 1