Emby next gen

quickmic

quickmic

VERSION 6.2.7:
Download link for manual update:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/archive/refs/tags/6.2.7.zip

Release Notes:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/releases/tag/6.2.7

This version is already tagged as stable but currently still in the beta repository for further testing.

@All, please try this version and report any issues. If there are no major bugs reported, I'll push it to Emby's Kodi stable repo in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, 6.2.7 requires a complete Kodi database rebuild if you upgrade from 5.X version.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
quickmic

VERSION 6.2.11:
Download link for manual update (and available in Emby Kodi stable repository):

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/archive/refs/tags/6.2.11.zip

Release Notes:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/releases/tag/6.2.11

Unfortunately, 6.2.11 requires a complete Kodi database rebuild if you upgrade from 5.X version.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

minos

Since the last update 6.2.11 i have errors with the random last items addon in kodi. With the older versions are no errors

kron0s

I am missing the thumbnails on the main home screen for movies and tv shows after upgrading to 6.2.11.   I tried everything I can think of, nothing works.  But collections thumbnails looks fine.  This is happening to both my devices.  I am using Embuary as a skin.  Should I downgrade back to 5.xx?  Help!

See attached

20220313_160035.jpg

Edited by kron0s

quickmic

Only on home screen and is the content node ok in all other ways? Just thumbs are missing?

If yes, try to reload the skin at runtime. (If not possible, select another skin and switch back). This forces a skin reload.

Also you can try "cache all artwork" option in plugin config menu.

quickmic
10 hours ago, minos said:

Since the last update 6.2.11 i have errors with the random last items addon in kodi. With the older versions are no errors

What's the exact problem? Do they not show up, or not random selected or something else like not playable? Are you using custom nodes or is it a Kodi stock node.

If custom, please change that node, some nodes custom have changed.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
22 hours ago, kron0s said:

I am missing the thumbnails on the main home screen for movies and tv shows after upgrading to 6.2.11.   I tried everything I can think of, nothing works.  But collections thumbnails looks fine.  This is happening to both my devices.  I am using Embuary as a skin.  Should I downgrade back to 5.xx?  Help!

See attached

20220313_160035.jpg

I performed a test with embuary skin. Works fine on my setup, but took a while till everything was loaded.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic

@all Nvidia shield users.

Don't use "smart playlists", use custom nodes instead. This box seems to have issues with xsp-playlists.

Edited by quickmic

steve179

Hi. I have recently updated to 6.2.11 on two boxes and now home movies are appearing in the movie category.

This didn't happen before and it's my understand that these shouldn't be added to the Kodi database. The only way I can stop these appearing is to edit the skin shortcut to point to an Emby movie directory, rather than just "movies". This isn't a solution for me as I have more than one movie directory.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Edit: I note one of the new features on 6.2.11 is "partial sync for homevideos".  I don't know what that exactly means, or if that's the issue.]

Edited by steve179

quickmic
12 minutes ago, steve179 said:

Hi. I have recently updated to 6.2.11 on two boxes and now home movies are appearing in the movie category.

This didn't happen before and it's my understand that these shouldn't be added to the Kodi database. The only way I can stop these appearing is to edit the skin shortcut to point to an Emby movie directory, rather than just "movies". This isn't a solution for me as I have more than one movie directory.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Edit: I note one of the new features on 6.2.11 is "partial sync for homevideos".  I don't know what that exactly means, or if that's the issue.]

Not sure what's the actual problem. There is no need to select homevideos as synced content, if you don't want them or using the custom nodes.

The new feature "partial sync for homevideos" is not mandatory. Just remove the homevideos from synced content if you have selected "all" during init sync.

quickmic
23 minutes ago, steve179 said:

This means, you can sync homevideos and they are treated as "movies" in Kodi's database. If you use stock Kodi nodes this will mix up actual movies with homevideos, yes.

If both are synced, it's recommended to use custom nodes (custom skin) getting a perfect Kodi experience.

steve179

@quickmic

Thanks for the replies and pointing me in the right direction re libraries to sync. My mistake was selecting "all" libraries to sync as I did with the old versions of the plugin. I didn't realise that this would sync home movies now.

• Like 1

kron0s
20 hours ago, quickmic said:

I performed a test with embuary skin. Works fine on my setup, but took a while till everything was loaded.

Yeah this does not work for me at all, I just gave up and downgraded it.

quickmic
1 hour ago, kron0s said:

Yeah this does not work for me at all, I just gave up and downgraded it.

Ok, i'll perform some additional tests. There shouldn't be any issues. Maybe I missed an edge case.

DiabboVerdde

Hey!@quickmic

first of all, thanks for the great work you have been doing with the emby next gen plugin. Since I discovered emby and the plugin I migrated all my Kodis to use it and it was the best decision ever! 

I upgraded all my Kodi instances to use 6.2.11 and I had different issues, so I'm listing them here, maybe they're happening to more people. I use three instances of Kodi, one Leia running on a RPi and two Matrix running on Android TV.

On the Matrix (19.3) instances the experience was pretty good but I got some problems that weren't happening before. All my new music albums that were displaying "--NO INFO--" now display correct information, cover art, etc... but I have noticed a weird behavior with "various artists" albums: Not all songs are displayed, only some of them. For an album with 13 songs I see maybe 7 or 8 only on screen. It seems to be happening to most of the albums when I have different values for "artist" and "album artist" in the tags. For one of these albums I noticed had different bitrates for the mp3 files and I was under the impression it was displaying only the mp3 coded at 320 and ignoring all others. I ripped the mp3 again all to 320 and I got more files displayed but not all of them, so that may be a clue. That wasn't happening before and the emby interface displays all songs properly. I have seen at least one case where songs from one album appear amongst the songs of another. It seems related to the same problem but I have to do some more digging. I had no issues with TV Shows or Movies yet.

On the machine running Leia (18.9) I got the same problems I described above plus a few Leia-specific ones: weird order for the albums displayed in the recently added list, no image at all for movies on the recently added list (tv shows are fine). Since movies display movie poster and tv shows display screenshot thumbnails the problem might reside there.

I had another issue with a few of my TV shows not displaying in Kodi but showing up just fine on the emby web pages, but I am still investigating this one. I'll tell you more once I know more.

I'm happy to provide logs, screenshots and anything else you might need to debug the issues, just say the word.

quickmic
25 minutes ago, DiabboVerdde said:

Hey!@quickmic

first of all, thanks for the great work you have been doing with the emby next gen plugin. Since I discovered emby and the plugin I migrated all my Kodis to use it and it was the best decision ever! 

I upgraded all my Kodi instances to use 6.2.11 and I had different issues, so I'm listing them here, maybe they're happening to more people. I use three instances of Kodi, one Leia running on a RPi and two Matrix running on Android TV.

On the Matrix (19.3) instances the experience was pretty good but I got some problems that weren't happening before. All my new music albums that were displaying "--NO INFO--" now display correct information, cover art, etc... but I have noticed a weird behavior with "various artists" albums: Not all songs are displayed, only some of them. For an album with 13 songs I see maybe 7 or 8 only on screen. It seems to be happening to most of the albums when I have different values for "artist" and "album artist" in the tags. For one of these albums I noticed had different bitrates for the mp3 files and I was under the impression it was displaying only the mp3 coded at 320 and ignoring all others. I ripped the mp3 again all to 320 and I got more files displayed but not all of them, so that may be a clue. That wasn't happening before and the emby interface displays all songs properly. I have seen at least one case where songs from one album appear amongst the songs of another. It seems related to the same problem but I have to do some more digging. I had no issues with TV Shows or Movies yet.

On the machine running Leia (18.9) I got the same problems I described above plus a few Leia-specific ones: weird order for the albums displayed in the recently added list, no image at all for movies on the recently added list (tv shows are fine). Since movies display movie poster and tv shows display screenshot thumbnails the problem might reside there.

I had another issue with a few of my TV shows not displaying in Kodi but showing up just fine on the emby web pages, but I am still investigating this one. I'll tell you more once I know more.

I'm happy to provide logs, screenshots and anything else you might need to debug the issues, just say the word.

Thanks for the feedback.

First, about music issues. Yes I know "various artists" or samplers are not reliable in 6.x. They were also not reliable in previous 5.x. Additionally there are issues on updated songs after init sync.

I'll release 7.x as experimental version in the next days. The complete music (sync) code gets a major update and I hope all issues are fixed. So I skip the music topic for the moment.

Feel free to share your experience with 7.x, feedback is always welcome.

Artwork issues:

I assume this happened (no matter if music or videos) due to Kodi loads artwork before the plugin was initialized. You should be able to fix it by reloading the skin (or cache the artwork, but not recommend if no actual use). I'm still working on a proper solution.

5.x reloads the skin automatically after the plugin was fully loaded but some users had concerns. That's why I removed this function.

The "problem": Skins does not refresh the artwork once loaded. Depending on the skin code, if reloads artwork when browsing lists or some other events. The stock skin, never does that. A skin reload must be enforced.

Also, once a artwork is loaded it's cached automatically by Kodi and the issue for this specific artwork will never appears again, but it must be (one time only) correctly loaded.

DiabboVerdde
4 hours ago, quickmic said:

Thanks for the feedback.

First, about music issues. Yes I know "various artists" or samplers are not reliable in 6.x. They were also not reliable in previous 5.x. Additionally there are issues on updated songs after init sync.

I'll release 7.x as experimental version in the next days. The complete music (sync) code gets a major update and I hope all issues are fixed. So I skip the music topic for the moment.

Feel free to share your experience with 7.x, feedback is always welcome.

Artwork issues:

I assume this happened (no matter if music or videos) due to Kodi loads artwork before the plugin was initialized. You should be able to fix it by reloading the skin (or cache the artwork, but not recommend if no actual use). I'm still working on a proper solution.

5.x reloads the skin automatically after the plugin was fully loaded but some users had concerns. That's why I removed this function.

The "problem": Skins does not refresh the artwork once loaded. Depending on the skin code, if reloads artwork when browsing lists or some other events. The stock skin, never does that. A skin reload must be enforced.

Also, once a artwork is loaded it's cached automatically by Kodi and the issue for this specific artwork will never appears again, but it must be (one time only) correctly loaded.

Ok, I'll sure install 7 in at least one of my machine and count on me to help with tests. 

Regarding the artwork issues, when you mentioned the skin refresh I tried it here and found something interesting. It work perfectly for some skins like the default estuary, but it doesn't work at all for others, like confluence. That said, it looks like you're right here... but the curious thing is: it works for Matrix confluence but not Leia confluence. I wonder what the difference is internally. or maybe the difference is in linux x android? Anyway, what you said makes sense. Since some people will need the skin refresh feature and others are concerned about it, I think it could be something in the app settings, so we only turn it on if needed and for these "rebel" skins that refuse to display stuff :D 

Thanks a lot for que quick response and for looking into these issues.

quickmic
5 hours ago, DiabboVerdde said:

Ok, I'll sure install 7 in at least one of my machine and count on me to help with tests. 

Regarding the artwork issues, when you mentioned the skin refresh I tried it here and found something interesting. It work perfectly for some skins like the default estuary, but it doesn't work at all for others, like confluence. That said, it looks like you're right here... but the curious thing is: it works for Matrix confluence but not Leia confluence. I wonder what the difference is internally. or maybe the difference is in linux x android? Anyway, what you said makes sense. Since some people will need the skin refresh feature and others are concerned about it, I think it could be something in the app settings, so we only turn it on if needed and for these "rebel" skins that refuse to display stuff :D 

Thanks a lot for que quick response and for looking into these issues.

I uploaded a very first experimental 7.x version. You can try it on a PC etc. Don't use it on a productive Kodi Box before a test:

it works for Matrix confluence but not Leia confluence

How did you refresh the skin? As far as I know, stock skins have no direct skin reload option, most custom skins does. You can force a skin reload by switching to a different skin and switch back. The should fix the artwork issue (also after a Kodi reboot). As mentioned, once loaded it's cached to Kodi and no further issues should appear.

btw. the problem with Leia is/was: Some users set the start screen (after Kodi boot) to a different window (other than the home screen). A skin reload voids that option and always shows home screen. I also performed a test on Matrix and seems even a reload respects the current visible screen. In 7.x I added skin autoreload as an option. I think I'll backport this to 6.x.

DiabboVerdde
On 3/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, quickmic said:

I uploaded a very first experimental 7.x version. You can try it on a PC etc. Don't use it on a productive Kodi Box before a test:

How did you refresh the skin? As far as I know, stock skins have no direct skin reload option, most custom skins does. You can force a skin reload by switching to a different skin and switch back. The should fix the artwork issue (also after a Kodi reboot). As mentioned, once loaded it's cached to Kodi and no further issues should appear.

btw. the problem with Leia is/was: Some users set the start screen (after Kodi boot) to a different window (other than the home screen). A skin reload voids that option and always shows home screen. I also performed a test on Matrix and seems even a reload respects the current visible screen. In 7.x I added skin autoreload as an option. I think I'll backport this to 6.x.

I refreshed the skin by doing exactly what you said. I use confluence, so I switched to estuary and back. That's how I noticed that estuary could process the movie posters under Leia, but confluence could not. By the way I tried everything. Reloading the skin, caching all artwork... nothing I did can make the movie posters show up on the recently added list on Confluence-Leia, but it seems to be working normally on Confluence-Matrix.

I also noticed another weird behavior on 6.2.11. I often re-download episodes or whole seasons. Say I downloaded a season in SD in the past and I now re-downloaded it in 1080p. Then I go to the folder, delete all the old files, paste the new ones where the old ones used to be and finally trigger a refresh on emby. We know that Emby updates its own database, removing the old files/old metadata, adding the new ones instead and re-scraping for info and thumbs. When I perform substitutions like this, with 6.2.11 I end up with two entries per file. One to the new file and a broken one to the old file. Re-scanning on emby seems to have no effect and on the Kodi side there's only two solutions: a) remove the dead links manually one by one if the option is enabled in the plugin or b) rebuild the local library (which is great, but takes time). This one is happening in my Leia and Matrix boxes and it didn't happen with the previous version. I suspect the plugin is not processing the removal of the old files, while correctly processing the addition of new ones.

I'll install another RPi with libreelec and give 7.0 a spin, then provide you some feedback as well.

Edited by DiabboVerdde
typos
  • Like 1

quickmic

I also release 6.2.12 today. You can try it, I've backported the skin refresh option.

quickmic

end up with two entries per file.

That's a tricky problem. It's a timing issue which are the worst. I still work on that. Workaround -> set back the sync date by 1 day.

Also please verify this issue with 7.x. I changes lot's of code related to sync.

Edited by quickmic

surge919

Native (Direct Paths) vs Add-On (default)

I may have missed in but is there a page or post showing the pros and cons of each?

I've been using the plugin for a while and have always chosen Add-On (default) simply because it said is it the default.

quickmic
1 hour ago, surge919 said:

Native (Direct Paths) vs Add-On (default)

I may have missed in but is there a page or post showing the pros and cons of each?

I've been using the plugin for a while and have always chosen Add-On (default) simply because it said is it the default.

Good, addon mode is what you should use if you don't have a very special use case.

Actually there is not much difference between the modes from a feature perspective.

Native mode needs extra configuration and knowledge but it grants native file access for Kodi and 3rd party plugins. 99% this is not required!

Also addon mode is much better tested and is more flexible than native mode.

Addon mode can access Emby server from "everywhere", while native mode needs direct file access to Emby server.

An example for native mode is the Kodi "extras" plugin. It will not work in addon mode. The "extras" plugin grants you access to "specials" for movies. As I added the same functionalities in addon-mode (context menu) as "extras" plugin does (in a different way), there is also no need. Some people still uses "extras", so this is an classic example for native mode.

Stick to addon mode, actually I you be happy to drop native mode completely. I would make the development much more easier.

surge919
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Good, addon mode is what you should use if you don't have a very special use case.

Actually there is not much difference between the modes from a feature perspective.

thanks for the explanation.  The Add-on mode is dead simple so I'm sticking with that.

jkasanic

I've been having issues lately with Emby Next Gen launching on my 4K Fire TV Stick gen II (the small box version). Keep getting errors loading and it won't connect to my Emby server.  I had upgraded to Kodi 19.4 and noticed the issue with 6.2.11. I tried to ugprade to 6.2.12 but same issue. I then downgraded Kodi to 19.3 and same issues. Edit: I figured out how to get the log file.

kodilog.jpg

kodi.log

Edited by jkasanic