Emby server migration Rpi4 to PC

Przemek

Przemek

Hello, I buy mini pc and want to move my Emby server from Rpi4 (32bit) to Mini PC with intel I5 cpu(64 bit). Os is the same [Dietpi]. I install on new PC Emby server but don't know how to start. I have SSL configured on that device. It's better to move everything manually or it will be easier with emby backup and restore? Anyone have experience with that kind of migration, devices with different architectures?

Regards,
Przemek

It never huts to have the backup so I would do that.

Where is your media currently stored and roughly how many users do you have?

Przemek

Hi @cayars thanks for answer. I have my dietpi_userdata folder on external usb connected HDD. I have all media there. I have 6 users for my Emby server now.

Regards,

Przemek.

OK for that size library what I'd personally do is install the Emby Backup Config plugin if you're a Premiere user and get a good bacup of the whole system.

Then I'd do a FRESH INSTALL on the Mini and then shut it down.

Now you can try two things.  FIRST:

Now copy the DATA and CONFIG subdirectories from the Pi to the Mini.

Restart the Mini and you should have your basic config copied over.  Now you will have to tweak things like each of your library paths assuming they have changed.

SECOND WAY:

Do the fresh install on the mini as mentioned above, install the backup plugin, restart server then do a SELECTIVE RESTORE.  RESTORE the USERS and watched states as well as other system config EXCEPT for Libraries assuming your paths have changed.

Now reset each library and let it scan these in fresh.

If you had multiple discs of content there are other things that could be done but with only a single disc of content it's easier to let Emby rebuild those libraries.

Let us know if you have any questions or hit any snags.

Przemek

Thanks @cayars, I will do a backup and restore on fresh system. I want to get the same static IP for new mini pc. I have also nextcloud server on that Rpi and also need to migrate it😬

Can You tell me if I copy folder /etc/letsencrypt/ to new installation that will be OK to get SSL?

Regards,

Przemek

You should be able to copy the cert to any new location that Emby has access to and repoint it worst case.
If I were you I'd setup the new server on a new IP to start with while keeping the Pi in running condition.

Once you have everything working on the new setup you can then reset/adjust the cert if needed and change IPs.
But with a different IP you can get it up and running, do some testing without harming your existing setup.

Przemek

Thanks @cayarsfor help, I have restore backup and now it's working. I will change IP to Rpi4 one later. Now I'm fighting with nextcloud but that is another story :)

Regards,
Przemek

• Like 1

Przemek

Hi, @cayars I have problems with SSL now. Emby works on local IP but don't with my ddns.net domain on https. I install letsencrypt and do everything like before. I generate certificate file with: `openssl pkcs12 -export -out mydomain.pfx -inkey privkey.pem -in cert.pem -certfile chain.pem -password pass:` 
and copy to /opt/emby-server/ssl. First I move /etc/letsencrypt folder from Rpi to new Mini PC installation but it don't work. Next I try fresh letsencrypt install and also don't work. Do I have to add permissions to that pfx file?

OK, I add permissions 777 and chown emby:emby and now works :D

Regards,
Przemek

Edited by Przemek
  • Like 1

Glad you figured it out before I had a chance to comment. :)

So now is everything working well for you now?

Przemek

Yes, with Emby everything is OK so far. I had errors migrating Nextcloud but is not related to Emby.

Regards,

Przemek.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 5:01 AM, Przemek said:

Yes, with Emby everything is OK so far. I had errors migrating Nextcloud but is not related to Emby.

Regards,

Przemek.

Thanks for the feedback !