Subtitles become out of sync over time

diehardbattery

diehardbattery

It doesn't happen with every video but there will come a point in what is streaming that the subtitles become faster than the dialogue (1 or 2 lines ahead of what is being spoken).  I have every subtitle plugin but I don't know why this is happening... I am running Emby sever as an app, not in a container.

embyserver.txt

Edited by diehardbattery

PaulJNodine

Thats a video problem, not an emby server problem.  Its something that happens unless the subtitles are hardcoded into the video file. 

diehardbattery

Okay... that does make sense somewhat since I've now discovered it's happening on other devices as well as other apps.  I did try re encoding one of my files with handbrake and burned in the subtitles but the problem remains.

PaulJNodine

Well thats because the external subtitle file that you used was out of sync to begin with.  I dont believe Handbrake has a way to affect the timestamp of a sub file.  Unless you create a video file and sub file together you might get out of sync subs.  The only option now is when you are playing a video file in Emby you can search for a subtitle and sometimes it will show a hash match.  Also if you use the opensubtitles option in emby you have a better chance of getting a file that doesnt go out of sync.

I have emby set up with opensubtitles under preferences to automatically search and download.  It does a pretty good job.  If emby cant find a subtitle I dont manually download add one to the video folder because its hit or miss with sync.  The few times Ive done it Ive had to download 3 or 4 different versions to find one that works

diehardbattery

I've tried just about every combination of plugins for emby, etc.. I usually choose the file that has the most stars... but I've tried different ones and it still happens.

PaulJNodine

As I said in my previous post, under emby settings is a  open subitle option in the server section, enter your opensubtitle account info there (create a free account at opensubtitles.org if you dont already have one) then click librarys, select the the three dots on whichever one you want to edit, scroll down and edit the subtitle section

Also there are other subtitle plugins available in the settings section

Edited by PaulJNodine
added info about plugins

diehardbattery

I'm sorry, but maybe I wasn't completely clear.  I have already done the things you have suggested.  Otherwise I would not need to post here looking for additional help.  I understand this may not be an Emby issue entirely, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to ever have this problem.  Surely others have a fix?  Or am I just stuck with the way it is?

Edited by diehardbattery

PaulJNodine

You are just stuck with the way it is. I dont understand though, if you are letting emby automatically download the subtitle, why its going out of sync.  Ive never had an automatic subtitle go out of sync.  Just the ones I manually download