MKV/TS/MP4 Dolby Vision don't work.

CyberPoison

SamES

Really the right way is to turn on the conversion options.  As long as the network speed is sufficient and the user doesn't select lower quality settings then it will DirectPlay with DV, and things that need conversion, like live TV will convert as required.  Turning these off isn't the best way to solve your problem as it creates new problems

Not sure if you're running the beta server and if you are using a GPU.  If so, keep an eye on this as it may help you

4.6.0.25+ - Transcoding Tone Mapping - Emby Server - Emby Community

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just tried my G1 one of these days and noticed the same, no DV was triggered "only" HDR.
This was with a mkv file, will remux them to mp4 and see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

I don't recall ever seeing the LG App work with DV.  The decisive way to test is to load the media onto a USB stick and see if the LG Native player fires DV, if it does, but does not in Emby, then it's a valid issue.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Cactus said:

I regularly watch DV content with the LG app with no problems. It must be MP4 though.

Ah ok cool - I always use MKV so I guess that's why.  

Is this a LG specific with that DV content must be in MP4 instead of mkv? Up to now I have created all my files as mkv and would need to convert all DV files (very limited number though) to mp4. 

I might get to give it a try today...

13 hours ago, Cactus said:

I regularly watch DV content with the LG app with no problems. It must be MP4 though.

Which model do you have?

I don't know what I am doing wrong but all I get is HDR, no matter if mkv or mp4.
Edit: I used ffmpeg to remux from mkv to mp4 -> "ffmpeg -i /path/to/video.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy /path/to/save/video.mp4"

Also gave Youtube a try with videos which stated that they are "DV" and/or "Dolby Atmos" but it didn't work there either, ended up with HDR and no Dolby Atmos (which works fine on Emby) on Youtube.
After that I did a software update on the TV but the results was the same afterwards.

Any hint guys?

Edited by neik

SamES

You must make sure that it is DirectPlaying, otherwise you will lose the DV component.  Therefore, make sure you are playing a compatible audio track (no lossless ATMOS and probably no DTS) and are not trying to burn in subs (ie: no PGS) 

rbjtech

I've never done it myself (I use MKV also) but I don't think you can just remux to an mp4 container with ffmpeg - I think you need to use tsmuxer and some other tools to fix the 'layers'.  

As SamES has alluded to, I think you also need to remove or the very least re-order any HD Audio tracks as HD Audio within MP4 is not officially supported (this may have changed, it's been a while since I looked at MP4) and the LG Emby App doesn't like you changing default Audio track ... 🤔 

In summary, this is why I gave up on the LG Client years ago and moved to the Shield - it plays DV MKV files with HD Audio direct from MakeMkv and/or Mkvtoolnix without all the authoring and hoop jumping needed for MP4's...    

• Like 1