Running server on raspberry pi (yes it works...)

Duh

• 4 weeks later...
BeppoMonkeyBoy

Just an update, I got the shares all working used path substitution on my nas drives so the returned path would be accessible to my clients but i still had all the videos attempting to transcode, statring to think that this is beyond the pi's abilities :(

• 2 weeks later...

i've just heard about MB and am working on installing it on my arch raspi now.

but i'm not sure why everyone says its underpowered to transcode. it has embedded hardware encoders and decoders for e.g. H.264

making use of them might be something of an issue. theres a couple of threads that suggest that omxtmx can pipeline a decoder (for mpeg2) directly into an h264 encoder on-chip though, so it's possible. not sure about for audio codecs though. see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=54331 as an example.

thefirstofthe300

i've just heard about MB and am working on installing it on my arch raspi now.

but i'm not sure why everyone says its underpowered to transcode. it has embedded hardware encoders and decoders for e.g. H.264

making use of them might be something of an issue. theres a couple of threads that suggest that omxtmx can pipeline a decoder (for mpeg2) directly into an h264 encoder on-chip though, so it's possible. not sure about for audio codecs though. see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=54331 as an example.

Currently, the server is not really capable of hardware encoding unless you meet the requirements from this wiki article.

I think the devs eventually want to make hardware encoding more of a possibility. There was a mention of possibly switching to Gstreamer; however, hardware encoding isn't at the top of the developer's priority list as far as I know. I am pretty sure it is something they want to see done though.

If you have any experience with coding, you could help to make this a possibility (I wouldn't mind seeing this implemented either). Just take a look at this thread.

i have no experience with .net or mono, so i dont know that i would be of much help there. the first link though makes it look like it might be as simple as referring to the hw-encoder-enabled binary in the xml configuration file as the transcoder. it's probably more complex than that, but i dont know by how much.

unfortunately, i was unable to get MB to compile on arch raspi. i can try it again and post logs if theres someone willing to help me troubleshoot it, but i installed it on different vm for the time being, and am fiddling with dnla.

Currently, the server is not really capable of hardware encoding unless you meet the requirements from this wiki article.

I think the devs eventually want to make hardware encoding more of a possibility. There was a mention of possibly switching to Gstreamer; however, hardware encoding isn't at the top of the developer's priority list as far as I know. I am pretty sure it is something they want to see done though.

If you have any experience with coding, you could help to make this a possibility (I wouldn't mind seeing this implemented either). Just take a look at this thread.

thefirstofthe300

i have no experience with .net or mono, so i dont know that i would be of much help there. the first link though makes it look like it might be as simple as referring to the hw-encoder-enabled binary in the xml configuration file as the transcoder. it's probably more complex than that, but i dont know by how much.

unfortunately, i was unable to get MB to compile on arch raspi. i can try it again and post logs if theres someone willing to help me troubleshoot it, but i installed it on different vm for the time being, and am fiddling with dnla.

I am the package maintainer for Arch so go ahead and post the logs and I will see what I can do.

I will just say that I don't have a pi and will be unavailable until tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

something missing in the build environment or outdated versions would be my guess. 

That is kind of what I figured.

@@rigel Can you tell me if you have sqlite, libwebp, libgdiplus, and libmediainfo installed and what versions of each?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MSattler

Just ordered a RPI2 for something else. Any change that ubuntu on the RPI2 will be able to handle transcoding?

Have not tested it but believe it may struggle.  I see a place for this setup though, and I see it in this fashion:

Primary Intel/AMD Based MB3 Server

Then  a Pi MB3 Server, that is a client of the Primary MB3 Server.

You tell the Primary what videos and what quality to send to the Pi, and it transcodes and sends it.

The Pi MB3 server then delivers content to it's clients.  This would be great for the road.  It would replace the DLNA services, and provide a true MB3 experience while away from home.  And no more manually re-encoding videos!

Edited by MSattler

thefirstofthe300

Have not tested it but believe it may struggle.  I see a place for this setup though, and I see it in this fashion:

Primary Intel/AMD Based MB3 Server

Then  a Pi MB3 Server, that is a client of the Primary MB3 Server.

You tell the Primary what videos and what quality to send to the Pi, and it transcodes and sends it.

The Pi MB3 server then delivers content to it's clients.  This would be great for the road.  It would replace the DLNA services, and provide a true MB3 experience while away from home.  And no more manually re-encoding videos!

I am not sure I see the advantage of this setup since it would be just as easy to have the primary server stream directly to the clients. Would you care to elaborate what advantages you see using this setup?

• Like 1

MSattler

Well of you read all of my post it explains it :)

The Pi MB3 server then delivers content to it's clients. This would be great for the road. It would replace the DLNA services, and provide a true MB3 experience while away from home. And no more manually re-encoding videos!

thefirstofthe300

Well of you read all of my post it explains it :)

The Pi MB3 server then delivers content to it's clients. This would be great for the road. It would replace the DLNA services, and provide a true MB3 experience while away from home. And no more manually re-encoding videos!

I think I get what you are wanting. What you are wanting is server to server sync, right? I do believe this has been mentioned as a feature request.

• 2 weeks later...
ali3n0id

Can someone please explain the steps to get this up and running on Raspbian on the Pi2!

I don't need transcoding...

• 11 months later...
thefirstofthe300

It is still possible to run Emby raps in a b +? I will not do transcoding

If you mean clients, you can run Emby for Kodi on the RPi and have everything direct streamed from your main server as long isn't on the RPi.  If you are asking about running the server on the Pi, it should be possible if you don't do transcoding to clients.

thefirstofthe300

If you are asking about running the server on the Pi, it should be possible if you don't do transcoding to clients.