ASS subtitles broken in 1.0.91

Guest deleteduser0341

anunes

I've made the test, but It didn't work. The subtitle doesn't load, the file runs Direct Play, but the external ass file doesn't show any line of subtitle. 

SamES

How long did you wait?  ass files can take up to 30 seconds to start showing.  That ass file works fine for me

anunes
3 minutes ago, SamES said:

How long did you wait?  ass files can take up to 30 seconds to start showing.  That ass file works fine for me

You're right again, I've waited until it starts, took 1:44 minutes. Is there a way to fast this up? 

SamES

Not really, but I'm surprised it took that long.   Can you send the server log with debug turned on for that test?

SamES
1 hour ago, SamES said:

OK, at the moment I think the only way they can play is via transcode.

Actually, that statement is not correct.  Internal and external should both play fine.  The server should be extracting the internal ass file on the fly and delivering it as a text stream.

Can you please check that this option is enabled on the server?

image.thumb.png.829c6c8dd3d32f220303824149644941.png

anunes

Ok. I've turned this option on and off a few times to test. With the extraction on the fly ON, it doesn't show (I've waited for more than 5 minutes), with this option turned OFF it does the transcode (depending on what TV I'm watching, sometimes works sometimes not). With external subtitles it works, sometimes it is really fast, like 2 or 3 seconds, sometimes it takes almost 2 minutes. 

I didn't attached the log file because I kept changing a lot of things when checking. 

SamES

OK, ideally it should be on.  We need to understand why it's not working with it on.

Can you rotate the log file, then turn this option on and try a playback with debug enabled, then send me that log file.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
anunes
On 5/19/2021 at 9:21 AM, SamES said:

OK, ideally it should be on.  We need to understand why it's not working with it on.

Can you rotate the log file, then turn this option on and try a playback with debug enabled, then send me that log file.  Thanks

Hey, sorry for the late response, I've been very busy since our Last talk. Well, I dont know what happened, I updated both my TVs to v1. 0.98 and now it's working properly on both of them. 

Thank you very much for that. =D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, anunes said:

Hey, sorry for the late response, I've been very busy since our Last talk. Well, I dont know what happened, I updated both my TVs to v1. 0.98 and now it's working properly on both of them. 

Thank you very much for that. =D

Thanks for the feedback !

• 2 weeks later...
psxlover

About this issue, sometimes if you stop the playback while subtitles are being extracted, an empty cache file is left behind (had this happen a few times, until I realized that subtitle extraction took a long time on my underpowered server). That means that the next time you try to play the media, emby is not going to try to extract the subtitle and instead will feed the empty cached extract file.

• Like 1

SamES
11 hours ago, psxlover said:

About this issue, sometimes if you stop the playback while subtitles are being extracted, an empty cache file is left behind (had this happen a few times, until I realized that subtitle extraction took a long time on my underpowered server). That means that the next time you try to play the media, emby is not going to try to extract the subtitle and instead will feed the empty cached extract file.

Yes, I've noticed that on occasions as well.   Finding the cached file and deleting it seems to be the only fix in this case.

psxlover

Perhaps the server should ignore the cached file if it has 0 size (or better would be to not create it in the first place or create it in a temp folder and move it after the extraction).

8 hours ago, psxlover said:

Perhaps the server should ignore the cached file if it has 0 size (or better would be to not create it in the first place or create it in a temp folder and move it after the extraction).

The 4.6 server should no longer create it in the first place.

• Like 1