ASS subtitles broken in 1.0.91

Guest deleteduser0341

Guest deleteduser0341

Updated to the latest Samsung app version (using the zip method) and .ASS subtitles are no longer being displayed.

App version 1.0.91

Server version 4.6.0.22

Samsung firmware version 1243

TV model KS8005

Attached log + mediainfo for one of the files I tested (tried others too). Other subtitle formats work fine.

Mediainfo

embyserver.txt

Edited by deleteduser0341
Image wouldn't display properly when attached to the post so I uploaded it to imgur instead.

Hi, you're on an old beta server. Please update and then re-evaluate. thanks.

SamES

Do you know what the last Samsung app version was that you were using was?  Did ASS subtitles work fine in it?

Guest deleteduser0341

I do not have the version number but I tend to update soon after the 'update' notification appears so I think I was on the previous version (1.0.90?). ASS subtitles did indeed work fine with that one. I opened this issue not too long ago because I was having the same problem and it was resolved with an update. Had no trouble with subtitles between that update and the latest one.

SamES

1.0.89 would have been released around 16 Jan, 1.0.90 about 11 Feb and 1.0.91 almost straight after that. 

I'm guessing you were on 1.0.89 for the brief period that this was resolved.  I'll have a look and see what changed

SamES
6 hours ago, trollini said:

Can confirmate ASS is broken on 91 while 85 was working properly

What model do you have?

SamES

Just saw your earlier post, K series. I expected this was an issue but just needed it to be confirmed. It needs the same fix as J series. 

I’ll do that tonight 

• 3 weeks later...
trollini
On 3/5/2021 at 5:09 AM, SamES said:

What model do you have?

I am sorry I did not aswered before, my tv model is UN43KU6000FXZX

Edited by trollini

SamES
32 minutes ago, trollini said:

I am sorry I did not aswered before, my tv model is UN43KU6000FXZX

Try latest USB version should be 1.0.93. That should fix it

• 1 month later...
anunes

On 5/13/2021 at 11:32 PM, SamES said:

Can you please go over an example?  Thanks

Sure, since version 1.0.94 (now I'm using version 1.0.96) when I try to play animes with ass subtitle, it gives me a spinning of death, ending with a "Playback Error There are no compatible streams". But the wierd part is that if I go to Panel, I can see it playing as "Direct Play" as you can see in the image, but It keeps running the spinning gif. 

When trying to play same files using Android app or browser, it works perfectly. 

20210516_163421.jpg

SamES

Can you please provide the media info for this file?  Then I can try and replicate the problem as I'm not seeing this issue.  Thanks

anunes
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Can you please provide the media info for this file?  Then I can try and replicate the problem as I'm not seeing this issue.  Thanks

Of course. I've attached the mediainfo of this file and the ass subtitle.

I've checked again and it still works perfectly on my android device and my chrome browser, but behaves the same way (spinning of death) in both of my Samsung TVs.

mediainfo.txt subtitle.ass

SamES

So I notice the first audio track is TrueHD, this will cause the audio to be converted.  

Which audio track are trying to play with?  If you select the Dolby Digital track before playback, do the subs work then?

anunes

The audio selection doesn't change the behavior. I even try to start the episode without subtitle and with ac3 audio, after that turn the subtitles on. It still crashes with same error. I'll try to access the server log. 

SamES

Does it crash immediately, or after 10,20, 30 seconds?

Are you playing the file from a local or remote server?

Yes, if you could please provide the log for a playback, ideally with debug logging enabled

anunes

Ok, I've made some tests, here are the answers:

1) It crashed only one of my TVs (don't know why, based on other tests, it was crashing on both of them). On the one that crashed it took 1:30 minutes to give the Playback Error.

2) I'm playing on a remote server, my home server can't reproduce files like this since it's too old and returns a lot of lags.

3) Here are the log files, I've tried to clean some personal info on this. The most weird part is: I've got the Playback Error on UN40NU7100 around 13:29 (Server time), and turn off my TV. But it kept running the transcode as you can see on BACKGROUND_RUNNING log. The embyserver (3) log is with debug mode on.

Hope this helps you to find anything that could help to solve this. Please, let me know if its a problem on my side, so I can try to solve it.

BACKGROUND_RUNNING_ffmpeg-transcode-b936dc83-39ba-4a94-a6d7-c1cfc64d2d35_1.txt browser_ffmpeg-transcode-197cd650-c1ab-4ffd-97ce-9288e1ef7e5b_1.txt embyserver (3).txt UN40NU7100_ffmpeg-transcode-0e77e203-8b69-4ff7-8509-2c01523698bb_1.txt UN40NU7100_ffmpeg-transcode-28bd429d-54b5-4f35-bb29-1d4a548ed5ac_1.txt UN40NU7100_ffmpeg-transcode-b936dc83-39ba-4a94-a6d7-c1cfc64d2d35_1.txt UN40NU7100_ffmpeg-transcode-d353a9c7-7cd5-4d3e-88ec-f4ef928e97e1_1.txt UN49KU6400_ffmpeg-transcode-653e45d0-6585-4a7d-b0c7-89cc9eac507e_1.txt

SamES

Quick question, so you attached the ass file earlier, but according to these logs, this subtitle is actually an internal sub.  Is that correct?  I assume you just exported the ass file to share here?  Can you please confirm?

SamES

OK, at the moment I think the only way they can play is via transcode.

Do you have a file with an external ass, or actually just use the ass you from your earlier post with this movie and see if you can play the external version