Playback transcoding audio on Chromecast with Google TV only if the setting is enabled

lordlance

lordlance

I use a Chromecast with Google TV. I was trying to play Attack of Titan S02E01 (MediaInfo attached) from my desktop's external hard disk. When I allowed transcoding, the audio was transcoded because it was not supported. However after disabling it, the file still seemed to play fine without being transcoded.

I have attached logs as well.

You can search for it somewhere around:

2021-03-03 13:15:55.811 Info App: ProcessRun 'extract-image' Execute: C:\Users\Lance\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -ss 00:02:25.212  -f matroska -threads 1 -i file:"D:\TV\AOT S02 BDREMUX\Attack On Titan S02E01.mkv" -

So why did Emby transcode if it could play it directly?

Attack On Titan S02E01.txt embyserver.txt

When you disallowed transcoding, the audio was mixed down to stereo in order to play.

The next version of the app will do this by default and you will have to turn on an option to convert on the server.

lordlance
3 hours ago, ebr said:

When you disallowed transcoding, the audio was mixed down to stereo in order to play.

The next version of the app will do this by default and you will have to turn on an option to convert on the server.

If I hadn't it would have played in 5.1?

4 hours ago, lordlance said:

If I hadn't it would have played in 5.1?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  If you hadn't what?

lordlance
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  If you hadn't what?

I meant that if transcoding were enabled, would Emby have played it directly in 5.1?

Also I wasn't playing the English 5.1, it was the 2.0 Japan audio that needed transcoding.

Separate question: Does Emby automatically convert 10 bit files to 8 bit? Because they look the same on my desktop and TV. MediaInfo of the 10 bit file is attached as well and it looks the same as the 8 bit version of the file.

Attack on Titan - 02v2.txt

Edited by lordlance

7 hours ago, lordlance said:

would Emby have played it directly in 5.1?

Well, not if you were playing a 2.0 track...

At this point, I would probably suggest trying the beta of the app to see how it works for you.  It is close to release so should be stable.

lordlance
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Well, not if you were playing a 2.0 track...

At this point, I would probably suggest trying the beta of the app to see how it works for you.  It is close to release so should be stable.

Playback has been a mess. Sometimes the TrueHD works sometimes it doesn't. I get audio from AAC 2.0 but even that doesn't work sometimes. Changing subtitles causes the player to notify me "Too many errors. Giving up." and then I can't play any of the files until I turn the device on/off again. Is this a Google TV issue? Log attached and search for this:

2021-03-05 03:44:31.623 Info App: ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 02a46d' Execute: C:\Users\Lance\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -loglevel +timing -y -print_graphs_file "C:\Users\Lance\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\logs\ffmpeg-transcode-02a46d13-71c9-4499-be7d-341d53014d30_1graph.txt" -copyts -start_at_zero -f matroska,webm -ss 00:02:51.000 -c:v:0 h264 -i "D:\TV\Attack on Titan\Season 2\Attack On Titan S02E09.mkv" -filter_complex "[0:5]scale@f1=width=1920:height=-2:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease[f1_out0];[0:0][f1_out0]overlay@f2=x=(W-w)/2:y=(H-h):repeatlast=0[f2_out0]" -map [f2_out0] -map 0:3 -sn -c:v:0 libx264 -g:v:0 72 -maxrate:v:0 28468354 -bufsize:v:0 56936708 -sc_threshold:v:0 0 -keyint_min:v:0 72 -pix_fmt:v:0 yuv420p -preset:v:0 veryfast -profile:v:0 high -level:v:0 4.1 -x264opts:v:0 "subme=0:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:partitions=none" -crf:v:0 23 -c:a:0 aac -ab:a:0 192000 -ac:a:0 2 -metadata:s:a:0 language=jpn -disposition:a:0 default -max_delay 5000000 -avoid_negative_ts disabled -f segment -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -segment_format mpegts -segment_list "C:\Users\Lance\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\5AC1E1.m3u8" -segment_list_type m3u8 -segment_time 3 -segment_start_number 57 -individual_header_trailer 0 -write_header_trailer 0 -segment_write_temp 1 "C:\Users\Lance\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\5AC1E1_%d.ts"

I turned audio transcoding on too but TrueHD used to work without transcoding as well. What's going on? Why is Emby struggling so much with the files?

embyserver.txt

22 hours ago, lordlance said:

I turned audio transcoding on too but TrueHD used to work without transcoding as well

If you have disabled some of the transcoding options in the server, then that is why you are getting failures.  There is a warning about this under those options.  The Chromecast does not support TrueHD.

22 hours ago, lordlance said:

I signed up for beta. When will I get the update?

You should be able to tell the device to look for updates to force it.

lordlance
2 hours ago, ebr said:

If you have disabled some of the transcoding options in the server, then that is why you are getting failures.  There is a warning about this under those options.  The Chromecast does not support TrueHD.

You should be able to tell the device to look for updates to force it.

I got all these issues despite transcoding being enabled.

lordlance

Even more issues. Despite all the transcoding, I now get lag while playing files - audio and video are now desychronized. I've attached the MediaInfo of one of them. I tried switching the hard disk to see if that's the issue but it didn't change things. I played a movie from the same hard disk as the show and didn't have any buffering issue. Played a different episode of the show but still had the issue.

Attack on Titan Season 3 - 08].mkv.txt embyserver.txt

The FLAC audio is an unusual wrinkle which could be a bandwidth constraint since audio is having to be sent in full raw bitrate.  Can you please create the issue and then send a log from the app?  You can now send the log directly from the playback OSD.  It is under the "cog" menu.

Thanks.

lordlance
53 minutes ago, ebr said:

The FLAC audio is an unusual wrinkle which could be a bandwidth constraint since audio is having to be sent in full raw bitrate.  Can you please create the issue and then send a log from the app?  You can now send the log directly from the playback OSD.  It is under the "cog" menu.

Thanks.

Do you mean on my Chromecast? I can't see it. Can you send a screenshot?

7 hours ago, lordlance said:

Do you mean on my Chromecast? I can't see it. Can you send a screenshot?

Yes.  Turn on the "Debug Options" in the settings menu.

• 2 weeks later...
lordlance
On 3/7/2021 at 4:18 AM, ebr said:

Yes.  Turn on the "Debug Options" in the settings menu.

Are you talking about debug logging?

23 minutes ago, lordlance said:

Are you talking about debug logging?

I mean the "Debug options" setting in the app settings.

Full instructions for sending a log from the app are here:

lordlance

I found it. I got more issues with playback on a different file. I have sent the log. Can you guys fix it in the next update?

15 hours ago, lordlance said:

I have sent the log

Can you please provide the information in the instructions?

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time