Add alpha picker to the "add to collection screen

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Add alpha picker to the "add to collection screen.

The title pretty much says what I would like. It is slow to move through the collections to find the one to add to without it.

• Like 9

Happy2Play

Yes if you have a lot of collection this would be advantageous.

• 1 year later...
Gilgamesh_48

This was requested over a year ago.
It seems to me to be a quite basic request that would have nothing but positive effects on the user experience. I have a few hundred collections and it would be very god to have an alpha picker on the right side of the screen when adding to collections.

GrimReaper
On 3/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

The title pretty much says what I would like. It is slow to move through the collections to find the one to add to without it.

In the meantime, you can use keyboard shortcut, it should take you there just as fast as Alpha-picker would. 

Gilgamesh_48
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

In the meantime, you can use keyboard shortcut, it should take you there just as fast as Alpha-picker would. 

While that may work I often do much of my maintenance with nothing but my mouse readily available.

Also: What "Keyboard shortcut?" If I press a key on the keyboard while adding to a collection I see the letter I pressed on the screen but nothing else happens and if I press "Enter" after the letter shows I get the message "added to collection" but nothing really happens. To be of any use a keyboard shortcut should show what it is doing and, at a minimum, move to the first collection that matches that letter.

If there is some kind of keyboard shortcut that is "supposed" to work it does not work or does not work in any helpful manner.

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

If I press a key on the keyboard while adding to a collection I see the letter I pressed on the screen but nothing else happens and if I press "Enter" after the letter shows I get the message "added to collection" but nothing really happens. To be of any use a keyboard shortcut should show what it is doing and, at a minimum, move to the first collection that matches that letter.

That is exactly what should happen in the Web app and Theater Store: press letter (or sequence of) on the keyboard, it'll show bottom-right and a second or two later move down to the first item in the list starting with that letter(s) ; you want to say that for you it doesn't? 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That is exactly what should happen in the Web app and Theater Store: press letter (or sequence of) on the keyboard, it'll show bottom-right and a second or two later move down to the first item in the list starting with that letter(s) ; you want to say that for you it doesn't? 

I guess it does work I was not waiting the several seconds necessary for it to decide to display. But it is NOT what I need at all. An alpha list for letter picking on the right side of the screen like is in virtually every other screen is what I would like. It just makes sense while a keyboard shortcut might be good enough for many it does NOT replace the alpha list and I made this request over a year ago and nothing has come of it. I praise Emby for speed of response to users but, in this case, they have fallen short. If it were not to be done then say so but two Emby people, including @Luke, have said it is a good idea. It exists virtually everywhere else it makes sense and it seems VERY simple to implement because the keyboard shortcut works so I do not see why it has not been implemented or why someone has not said no.

I just am not understanding why a keyboard shortcut is considered "good enough" (I do not usually browse with a keyboard in my lap) and why there has been no further action on this in a year.

Emby either implement this or say it won't happen. This is NOT a complex request and it is not one that needs research or thought. It is a yes we will or no we won't situation.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I guess it does work I was not waiting the several seconds necessary for it to decide to display. But it is NOT what I need at all. An alpha list for letter picking on the right side of the screen like is in virtually every other screen is what I would like. It just makes sense while a keyboard shortcut might be good enough for many it does NOT replace the alpha list and I made this request over a year ago and nothing has come of it. I praise Emby for speed of response to users but, in this case, they have fallen short. If it were not to be done then say so but two Emby people, including @Luke, have said it is a good idea. It exists virtually everywhere else it makes sense and it seems VERY simple to implement because the keyboard shortcut works so I do not see why it has not been implemented or why someone has not said no.

I just am not understanding why a keyboard shortcut is considered "good enough" (I do not usually browse with a keyboard in my lap) and why there has been no further action on this in a year.

Emby either implement this or say it won't happen. This is NOT a complex request and it is not one that needs research or thought. It is a yes we will or no we won't situation.

As stated:

43 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

In the meantime, you can use keyboard shortcut

It was not as a replacement to your request, but as a temporary alternative still way more handy than endless scrolling. Whether you'll make use of it or not - it's up to you. 

The detail screen currently never uses a-z pickers, and there is other content that will impact scrolling offsets such as the overview all of the things at the top. This is all still doable, but it's not the quick five minute throw-in that you seem to think it is.

I could of course just send collections to the general list screen to accommodate this, but then of course all you'd see is a list of items and no collection information, and so I don't think you'd like that either.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

The detail screen currently never uses a-z pickers, and there is other content that will impact scrolling offsets such as the overview all of the things at the top. This is all still doable, but it's not the quick five minute throw-in that you seem to think it is.

I could of course just send collections to the general list screen to accommodate this, but then of course all you'd see is a list of items and no collection information, and so I don't think you'd like that either.

My understanding was this was about the add to collection screen, not the collection detail screen.

i.e.

image.png

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It was not as a replacement to your request, but as a temporary alternative still way more handy than endless scrolling. Whether you'll make use of it or not - it's up to you. 

It is NOT good enough and NOT really "better." I will wait for someone actually from Emby to either answer or not. As I said I do not browse with a keyboard in my lap. And a solution that involves a keyboard is not a solution that is reasonable when watching TV.

As far as making use of it goes I would if I had a desire to juggle a mouse and keyboard while watching TV but I have no such desire so I probably will not use it much.

I will of course give up on this if someone from Emby says they cannot or will not do it. But until someone from Emby officially replies to this I will wait as patently as possible for this quite reasonable request.

Gilgamesh_48

It is for the "Add to collection" screen. It is the ONLY screen in Emby I know of that could have an alpha picker that does not.

That is it is the screen you get if you select a movie and then select the three dots ( ... ) and then select "Add to collection"
That screen needs an alpha picker and does not have one.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

It is NOT good enough and NOT really "better."

That surely depends whether you do admin tasks from a couch or sitting at PC; since I do exclusively latter, it is WAY better with 400+ collections. But to each his own, I guess. 

Gilgamesh_48
19 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That surely depends whether you do admin tasks from a couch or sitting at PC; since I do exclusively latter, it is WAY better with 400+ collections. But to each his own, I guess. 

For me everything must be done from the same place. I cannot sit up, without pain, for more than a few minutes at a time. I do have a few hundred collections but, unless I need it, I rarely have a keyboard handy when browsing.

But, even if I had a keyboard handy, I would prefer the alpha picker.

• 4 weeks later...
Gilgamesh_48

This still is needed!!!

If I am not at a keyboard it takes a LONG time to get to the collection I want to add to. I still fail to see any way this could have an adverse effect on much of anything.

All I want is to see the alpha picker on the right side of the screen when I select a few movies and then select "Add to collection." Such an alpha picker exists everywhere else that makes sense but it does not exist in the "Add to collection" screen and I simply do not understand why. It just seems a very simple request and it exists virtually everywhere else there is a list to be moved through as long as the "list" is sorted by title which seems to be exactly how the "Add to collection" screen is sorted.

This seems rather obviously needed when you have a large number of collections and collections make a large library manageable.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

• 2 months later...
Gilgamesh_48

We are still in need of this. I guess it is way down on the overall importance list but it is pretty important to me. It has been  over a year and a half since it was first requested.

If I wish to add to a collection and the collection I want to add to is somewhere in the middle of all my collections it can be quite tedious to get to it without an alpha picker on the "add to collection" page.

The delay implementing this is kind of perplexing to me as every screen I see that has collections has an alpha picker except the "Add to Collection" screen.

Maybe it is not just important enough to Emby but it is quite important to me.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Thanks 1

wordlover

Could Emby please add alpha picker throughout all music screens? It is now there for Genre, but not when viewing/scrolling through scores or hundreds of artists or albums WITHIN any one genre, where it would be most useful.

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, wordlover said:

Could Emby please add alpha picker throughout all music screens? It is now there for Genre, but not when viewing/scrolling through scores or hundreds of artists or albums WITHIN any one genre, where it would be most useful.

You should make that a separate request. It will get lost if it is just here.

• 1 year later...
Gilgamesh_48

This is still not implemented and the "new" "Add to collection" screen just makes it harder. We just need an alpha picker in the screen where we pick a collection to add to.

I want to find a movie and click the "Add to collection" menu choice and then be able to quickly move to the chosen collection WITHOUT USING THE KEYBOARD.

This can't be all that hard as the alpha picker seems to pop up everywhere except in the add to collection screen.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes an alpha picker in this dialog would make sense. 

It makes sense but not enough sense to actually implement? I asked this way back in 2021 and even then people thought it would be a good idea but it has never been implemented.

Maybe, because you don't like my posts, you choose to ignore this request. If so then implement it for others and try very hard to forget I asked for it.

Gilgamesh_48
4 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

The old method was fine (if I can remember that far back)

I have no idea what the "old method" you mention could be. I only remember the add screen being just a big grid of collection posters that you move around in just like a movie or TV library. There was no alpha picker and it was almost as tedious back then. This "new" screen is MUCH worse. It only shows maybe three collections at a time and it takes a very long time to go from the top to the bottom. Whoever designed this probably also designed many torture devices for the Inquisition.

Having a single column for adding to collections is one of the dumbest things Emby has ever done.
I have no idea how anyone could think this redesign was a good idea.

arrbee99

Maybe it was that grid of collection posters you mentioned. There were at least a lot more items shown in that 'add to' box.