21:9 Aspect Ratio Cover and Stretch are distorted

kron0s

kron0s

Before you ask me why don't I use Auto Aspect Ratio, the reason is because the video I'm watchin has black bars embedded into the video and with a 21:9 ultrawide, this makes it look like all 4 sides are surrounded by black bars. 

Before the latest update this was working, when I chose Cover usually, it would just zoom in the video.  With the current update, the aspect ratio is wrong when I chose this option.  See attached.

Funny thing is when I click the settings button, the aspect ratio is temporarily "fixed" until the option pop up disappears, this is also attached.  

Issue is in both Chrome and Edge browsers,  so I don't think it's browser specific.

Auto

auto.thumb.jpg.f107f8fad9af8a3f7e8cd80246944cdf.jpg

Cover

stretch.jpg

Cover with Settings "Clicked"

cover-with-settings-button-click.jpg

Stretch

cover.jpg

Edited by kron0s

Hi, cover will crop without altering the aspect ratio. Fill will stretch and may distort the video. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

kron0s
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, cover will crop without altering the aspect ratio. Fill will stretch and may distort the video. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

I am reporting that cover is altering the aspect ratio.  Please see the images I attached above.

kron0s
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes please, thanks.

Ok see attached.  Please note, that this only happens when the video is in "Full Screen" Mode (Square Icon button all to the way to the right of the buttons).  When it's in "Windowed Mode" this behavior is not observed and everything is working as expected

Please note, emby-logs.txt

Edited by kron0s

In your log example it is direct playing so there might not be much we can do about this. We're relying on a function in the browser to handle the aspect ratio adjustment for us, and it's probably having difficulty with this specific video. I know it works just fine in my testing.

kron0s
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

In your log example it is direct playing so there might not be much we can do about this. We're relying on a function in the browser to handle the aspect ratio adjustment for us, and it's probably having difficulty with this specific video. I know it works just fine in my testing.

Yeah, slim to none on the browsers fixing this issue.  I'll use Firefox as a workaround.  Thanks.

• 2 years later...
kron0s

Did more research and figured this out this is a bug in Chrome and Edge - You can fix it by going into the flags and setting #use-angle to D3D9 and this will fix it.  Another solution is to use " the  "Ultrawidify" add-on.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2023 at 15:41, kron0s said:

Did more research and figured this out this is a bug in Chrome and Edge - You can fix it by going into the flags and setting #use-angle to D3D9 and this will fix it.  Another solution is to use " the  "Ultrawidify" add-on.

Thank you! Your first suggestion has worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1