Folder View for EMC

Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob

I have been arranging my Movie library to include movie series into specific sub-folders.

In the past (pre Emby Server 4?) EMC would show movies held in sub-folder as a sub collection. No longer. It now displays as a single flat collection.

image.png.eb56be23b4492754d22ac3fcdb5902d7.png

Emby Server has a Folders view option which works fine. Is there a way to get this to work in EMC?

Select "Dollars Trilogy" poster...

image.png.eff7ed8ae6d2c25aa38348051e557e52.png

opens the movie  collection.

image.png.84506a6417298b0bbfa9220cf59167e7.png

Edited by Doctor Bob
Spelling

Check the settings in EMC to see if there is a library view option that will give you this.  Honestly, I cannot remember if we were able to preserve this functionality.

As for new features in EMC, I'm afraid we cannot promise that at this point.  We are doing our best to keep the life-support for this platform going but development is getting increasingly difficult.  All of the tools needed are no longer updated or supported and they are starting to simply not work anymore.

Doctor Bob

I looked over the EMC options again to see if I missed something. No option for Folder view found.

I also check the Sort Order hoping to find a Folder view option there. No go.

image.thumb.png.3062c62a8082c43541d9a65c89e8e95d.png

I believe the old view option was labeled "Legacy Browsing" or something like that and may have gone away with recent versions.

Doctor Bob

I have had a look for "Legacy Browsing" in EMC options. It must have been dropped in a earlier version. I have included screenshots of all the EMC option pages.

I am currently running EMC version 3.0.318.0

01-General.PNG

02-VideoOption.PNG

03-ThemeOption.PNG

04-Playback.PNG

05-ChocolateGeneral.PNG

06-ChocolateView.PNG

07-Advanced.PNG

Edited by Doctor Bob

One2Go

This discussion regarding folder view has been going on for quiet awhile especially when discussing collections versus top folder with several subfolders in it. This the closest that I come to a folder view. Throgsoft themes do allow in the poster panel view of any library a top folder image with an associated folder.xml file for all the subfolders and in its settings he maintains  the legacy view. He has done some customization in the theme after the changes in EMC.

Here are 5 screen shots of my EHS as well as the poster wall. It shows you what screen to expect when following the movie Master and Commander especially following any listed artists work, in this case Paul Bettany and what is on my server and what else he has appeared in. 3 posters below the Master and Commander is the MIB top folder for the 3 MIB movies. 3 posters to the right is the Mission Impossible top folder with the Mission Impossible movies.

Just to give you an idea how the Cars collection would look like in the folder view that the Throgsoft themes show I attach two pics of them. The themes though do cost you but since I like the eye candy I paid a onetime fee and consider it well worth.

WMC-1.jpg

WMC-2.jpg

WMC-3.jpg

WMC-4.jpg

WMC-5.jpg

Cars1.jpg

Cars2.jpg

Doctor Bob

5 hours ago, One2Go said:

Throgsoft themes do allow in the poster panel view of any library a top folder image with an associated folder.xml file for all the subfolders and in its settings he maintains  the legacy view. He has done some customization in the theme after the changes in EMC.

I see there is 9 Throgsoft themes. Which one are you using?

I installed the Throgsoft Harmony theme and placed a poster.jpg file and folder.xml file in the top level Batman folder (D:\Media\Movies\Batman\) but this did not work. All Batman posters appear in the top level movie library in the Harmony theme.

image.png.6a5d887b9e2b43d021df6f87b5f8a592.png

*** folder.xml ****
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>
  <Title>
  <LocalTitle>Batman Collection</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>Batman Collection</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Batman Collection</SortTitle>
  <IMDBrating>0.0</IMDBrating>
  <ProductionYear>1943 – 2019</ProductionYear>
  <Persons></Persons>
  <Genres></Genres>
  <Description> The Batman film franchise consists of a total of nine theatrical live-action films and two live-action serials featuring the DC Comics superhero Batman.</Description>
  <IMDB></IMDB>
  <Budget></Budget>
  <Revenue></Revenue>
  <LocalTrailer>
  <URL></URL>
  <Type>1</Type>
  </LocalTrailer>
  </Title>

One2Go

I try to answer your questions as best as I can. The folder.xml has only ONE tag exposed to be processed and that is the Description tag. It provides the text on the left edge when you hoover over or select the folder image. All my images I have labeled as folder.jpg but poster.jpg should also be recognized.

Now to the themes. Search for Throgsoft or Throgmorton in the forum and he is the creator of the themes and knows the inside out. The most important one is the "Destiny" theme as it is the one "That Binds the All" in other words it is the theme that allows all the other themes to be also selected. For poster walls I use "Ascendancy" and for the EHS I use "Maelstrom" and for details I use "Supremacy". I believe you need the Destiny theme because after it installs you need to select it as the default theme in the Theme Options of the configuration menu.

In your case you should have a single top folder for batman and than with 9 folder movies I would use the "Ascendancy" list view. Take a look at my Star Wars collection how it is displayed. In the first image the poster wall and the folder image for Star Wars is custom made with the blue edging around to blend in with the rest of the images. When clicking on it you get all the Star Wars movies and videos that are in this folder with its subfolders.

To be honest the server that I am running on that Win 7 PC is version 4.0.1.0 it works for all the features and functions that I want. I disabled automatic update because for me it is the finished product for the Home Theater. To keep up with the latest I have a separate server installed on a QNAP NAS which has the latest server version and its new features are of no interest to me for the home theater and I am afraid any updates will break my configuration. This is the combination I will use until I have to find a totally new solution.

I hope you get it to the point you are happy with and I am totally with you and want the folder view or as EBR stated it was called Legacy View. Search the forum also for Destiny and you will get an idea how it works.

Starwars-1.jpg

Starwars-2.jpg

Theme.jpg

Doctor Bob
1 hour ago, One2Go said:

Take a look at my Star Wars collection how it is displayed. In the first image the poster wall and the folder image for Star Wars is custom made with the blue edging around to blend in with the rest of the images. When clicking on it you get all the Star Wars movies and videos that are in this folder with its subfolders.

Okay, I have the themes working. Thank you for the info regarding the Destiny Theme. However, the Batman top folder which should then open the 9 Batman movies does not appear in the poster wall list. All movies sit on the poster wall.

image.thumb.png.04e3bd6672ebf09297df034128dceb22.png

BTW, how did you get your post wall to display 2D and the details on the left side?

I commented out all tags in the folder.xml file except <Title> and  <Description> .

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>
  <Title>
<!--
  <LocalTitle>Batman Collection</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>Batman Collection</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Batman Collection</SortTitle>
  <IMDBrating>0.0</IMDBrating>
  <ProductionYear>1943 – 2019</ProductionYear>
  <Persons></Persons>
  <Genres></Genres>
-->
  <Description> The Batman film franchise consists of a total of nine theatrical live-action films and two live-action serials featuring the DC Comics superhero Batman.</Description>
<!--
  <IMDB></IMDB>
  <Budget></Budget>
  <Revenue></Revenue>
  <LocalTrailer>
    <URL></URL>
    <Type>1</Type>
  </LocalTrailer>
-->
  </Title>

Emby Meta Manager sees the folder structure.

image.png.0d5b6597b76d3779ebdedfa9968a3f48.png

One2Go

The folder.xml file is really of no importance it is only good for giving you a description for the very top folder. Emby ignores all the rest of the tags.

Your screen shots do not look at all familiar from EMC they look like from the web app. When I start EMC as you can see from my first screen shot the EHS starts and the Maelstrom theme displays it that way. That is what you should get first the home screen working in EMC. Then when you click on the movie library my video wall opens up and I use for that the Ascendancy theme and its poster format. This theme when you click on the folder image will display what is in the description tag of the movie.xml file.

To get mine the way it is I did a few things. First I realized that the content type = movies did not work for me, so I switched ALL my content type = movies to content type = mixed. Try by creating a small library with a few movies with subfolders in it and select as type = mixed.

Next I changed my meta data gathering because it gives me more control and at time I am able to trick the Emby software. I used XML as primary meta data collection by using Media Master Center and installed the XML plug in. So Emby will now read all the XML files in the folders 1st and import the meta data. I have manual control.

You should be able to check in the Meta Data Manager the appearance of your meta data if it doesn't look right there then it will not look correct in EMC. From the screen shots you can see that the Titanic collection is a Folder View with subfolders. This you need to get correct first. Just your question how to get the video wall 2D and the text on the left side tells me you don't have either the Throgsoft themes correctly installed or you are missing some settings that need to be changed. Get the EHS to work in EMC and the video wall for the movies. Your difficulties may be because of the content type not being mixed and in meta data manager not having sorted by folders.

Titanic-1.jpg

Titanic-2.jpg

Titanic-3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Doctor Bob

Sorry mate, I will read your post again.

Edited by Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob
3 hours ago, One2Go said:

To get mine the way it is I did a few things. First I realized that the content type = movies did not work for me, so I switched ALL my content type = movies to content type = mixed. Try by creating a small library with a few movies with subfolders in it and select as type = mixed.

That is the answer. Yes, my Movie Library is set to type "movie".
I have another library for documentaries set as type "mixed"

I was under the impression that the Throgsoft themes had some special ability when it came to displaying second level folders but that was a red herring.
In my Documentaries library I am able to select a poster at top level that opens a second level of content which I set to list view. I have set the Chocolate theme back as default and it all works fine. Now it is just a matter of recreating my Movie library as type "mixed".
As much as the Throgsoft themes look great I think I will stay with the Chocolate theme.

Thank you One2Go for your help in sorting this issue out.

One2Go

Glad to help as you can see from the different replies, there are only a few of us left that work with EMC and its foibles. There are probably more users on Media Browser 2.6 than on EMC and a dedicated Emby server.

As far as Throgsofts themes are concerned they do provide a few things that I want, like the details section with going to the artist and than telling me what other media exist on my server and what else has he produced that I might be interested in. He did circumvent the no studio icons displaying and I just like the descriptions being on the left quickly appearing and changing when moving through the library. But to each his own.