Audiobook Narrator Metadata

horstepipe

8 hours ago, Tremas said:

The metadata editor is the way I have been setting up my library. If the album structure is set up correctly, emby can generate an NFO file with the info that you have manually entered into the overview. Currently though, it won't read NFOs for albums which is unfortunate as then you could use something like MediaMonkey to automatically generate an NFO with the overview data if you already had it in the comments. It would also have made it a lot easier when I transferred my media to to the new Synology server I'm using. There's a feature request out there for NFO reading on music and Audiobooks, so I hope it's coming soon.  

True, however, I have gone away from using NFO files and I am now embedding metadata directly into the music/audiobook/video files. This includes such things like lyrics, subtitles and cover art. This produces a much cleaner and easier to manipulate library for me (no more NFO files or artwork etc. spread throughout my folders - just a single file). Although I have the hardware capable of transcoding, I find it's not needed given all my video files are encoded using AVC with AAC stereo in an MP4 container so it plays on almost everything without the need to transcode. My music is AAC MP4 file formatted M4A's and my audiobooks are AAC MP4 file formatted M4B's. Again, plays on almost everything I own.

Tremas

I agree, @Mick_K. Having the files tagged correctly with embedded metadata is the universal way to ensure you have all the data configured properly across different services. I only bring up NFOs because I can automatically batch create them with MediaMoney, using the file's embedded taggs. This would get around emby not having a way to automatically import overview and other info. It's also a good backup for not losing all of that manually entered emby data. I use this method to batch create NFOs for music videos after making sure the embedded tags are correct. That works great for only having to input the information once and getting it into emby reliably. But you are correct, if the system would correctly import tags for overview, release date, narrator, etc. it wouldn't matter. I'm adding download/backup files from my audible collection now to my emby audiobook library, and it would be great to have that stuff populate without manual intervention.

Edited by Tremas

adminExitium

Seeing the newly added resume feature, will the narrator and overview (either via the comment or description tags) support also be coming in 4.7?

20 minutes ago, adminExitium said:

Seeing the newly added resume feature, will the narrator and overview (either via the comment or description tags) support also be coming in 4.7?

Overview is already there for 4.7, yes.

• Like 2

ginjaninja
Spoiler

Looking at my own library tags.

Sometimes (more often than not, mostly  audiobooks not recognized by Musicbrainz) Narrator is not stored

Sometimes Artist is "Artist read by Narrator" (the separator is " read by " or " narrated by " (Audiobooks recognized by Musicbrainz))

Sometimes when Artist has no separator the artist is both the author and the narrator (Audiobooks recognized by Musicbrainz)

If the artist has a separator then the 1st artist is always the author and the 2nd always the narrator. I have no tracks with more than one separator.

Sometimes (rarely)  the composer tag when present is not the narrator. (but would be happy to tidy this up if Emby went with composer as narrator)

The closest to an automated algorithm when looking at my audiobook library and current tagging might be....

(considering " read by " or " narrated by " and other common characters 'as separators') then just use artist tag

1st artist object is author, narrator is 2nd artist object otherwise narrator is blank (if i wanted a narrator i would have to edit my metadata, add a separator to artist and a narrator as 2nd artist if i wished) (ignore 2nd separator onwards, ?unless someone says they have more than one artist separator?)

*if emby did 'prefer'  Composer (or an alternative custom field) as Narrator, then ideally i would want Emby to ignore separator onwards in the artist tag. (and just treat the first artist as the author) - so i could keep conformance with musicbrainz*.

*I believe this design would fit Musicbrainz, Audible and Plex which also use author/narrator in the artist tag. FWIW the artist musicbrainzid tag with separators would match up to  artist tag with separators. Audible and Plex also respect composer tag to store narrator so also would recommend objects after separator in artist suppressed, when composer present.

Maybe people need to feedback how narrator is currently stored in their  audiobook librarys and what 3rd party platforms / metadata providers this comes from and what they need to conform to. to help the emby dev team see a way forward.

5 hours ago, ginjaninja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Looking at my own library tags.

Sometimes (more often than not, mostly  audiobooks not recognized by Musicbrainz) Narrator is not stored

Sometimes Artist is "Artist read by Narrator" (the separator is " read by " or " narrated by " (Audiobooks recognized by Musicbrainz))

Sometimes when Artist has no separator the artist is both the author and the narrator (Audiobooks recognized by Musicbrainz)

If the artist has a separator then the 1st artist is always the author and the 2nd always the narrator. I have no tracks with more than one separator.

Sometimes (rarely)  the composer tag when present is not the narrator. (but would be happy to tidy this up if Emby went with composer as narrator)

Audible and Plex also respect composer tag to store narrator so also would recommend objects after separator in artist suppressed, when composer present.

The Composer tag is what Audible and iTunes use to capture the Narrator.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Happy2Play

FYI currently Emby reads description/desc/synopsis tags not comment for overview. (4.7)

Edited by Happy2Play

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Is there any update yet?

What tag should be used for the narrator?

Hi, not yet, sorry.