AutoBoxSets - what, no 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' collection?!

plittlefield
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

plittlefield

I may be missing something here - but the highest grossing movie series franchise is not one of the collections in the AutoBoxSets plugin!

Answers on an infinity stone to...

I had the same reaction.

Turns out, it's due to the metadata source having incredibly strict and specific rules about what constitutes a collection...

https://www.themoviedb.org/bible/collection

Collections should only be used for true movie sequels.

As a general rule, a sequel is a film which centers around the same main characters and continues the story of an earlier film. The protagonists evolve and are aware of the events that happened in the earlier films. Most popular film series—Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, Thor, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy—are composed of proper film sequels.

Series of stand-alone films and mixed series marketed as proper sequels are also allowed as collections. These sequels are usually numbered and share a similar theme and/or an universe. They are commonly used in horror collections, for example Saw and Final Destination. Other popular examples are The Fast and the Furious Collection, which includes the Tokyo Drift spin-off, or the Step Up Collection.

It goes on for a while after that. :)

• Solution
Happy2Play

MCU is a list of movies not franchise boxsets.

You have to make this custom collection yourself.

Sure TMDB does Lists but currently Emby does not support these.  There is a feature request out there I believe.

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) — The Movie Database (TMDb) (themoviedb.org)

A plugin that lets you search for a tmdb collection, shows you your entries for that collection, then lets you add them all to a new/existing Emby collection with a confirmation click might be interesting.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

plittlefield

OK, thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I shall add the MCU movies manually to my own collection... a bit mad but I kind of see the reasoning behind the "collection" idea.

"The hardest choices require the strongest wills."
Thanos

rbjtech

I created my own.  This 'collection' is a very good example of a collection of collections - which cannot be done via the GUI and will also break with the current beta/next Release as Collections have been re-engineered to just use the meta-data provider. 

edit - This can be made to work using the latest Beta - it will be unsupported, but sub-collections of a large collection is working for me ok.

Capture.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

plittlefield

Snap.

Movies > Filter > Studio > Marvel Studios > Select All > Add to Collection.

Emby rules, but I was surprised that TheMovieDB didn't have one.

Never mind... 'tis done now 🙂

• Like 1