Convert function - are subtitles supposed to be copied to the final file?

Rene44vie

Rene44vie

I'm new to Emby, and would like to shrink my video collection using the Emby convert function with hardware support (VAAPI). I found a posting here which states that there are no options for subtitles at the moment. But does this mean subtitles are skiped, or should they be copies without conversion.

I tried with a MPEG2 file with dvd_subtitle and the final file was hevc and aac (as expected), but without subtitles. The transcoding log file shows also the subtitle streams, but the mapping in the log only shows video and audio.

Did I miss something essential?

Edited by Rene44vie

Hello Rene44vie,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

On 2/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, Rene44vie said:

Did I miss something essential?

No you didn't miss anything.  This has been asked for so maybe in the future in will be added.

Currently the conversion follows the subtitle user preferences of the user who initiated it.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Currently the conversion follows the subtitle user preferences of the user who initiated it.

I never knew this, learned something new today.

Any reason why this can't get moved to the convert function itself?  For example, my playback settings are quite different then my convert functionality is.

Rene44vie
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanky for the insight! Can you please enlighten me what that does exactly mean? I've tried different settings for preferred subtitle language [any language, German] and subtitle mode [standard, alwasy show subtitles] (hope that are the correct original english names), but after the conversion process there are no subtitles there.

Are there other settings? Or is there a way to alter a configuration file/script to always force subtitles?

In other words it should match the subtitles you get if you were to just press play and start playing.

• Like 1

pwhodges

If you had selected a subtitle while playing, would it then use that rather than the one chosen by the settings?

Paul

2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If you had selected a subtitle while playing, would it then use that rather than the one chosen by the settings?

Paul

Depends on your subtitle settings.  It will match the subtitles you get if you were to just press play and start playing.

Rene44vie
18 hours ago, Luke said:

In other words it should match the subtitles you get if you were to just press play and start playing.

Does that mean the convert function only takes one subtitle tack, but all audio tracks by design? For me this is non-intuitive and hard to understand.

It seems that the convert function just does not offer what I need: only shrink video files in a container and keep the rest as is.

Can I file a feature request for advanced control on the convert function?

But thanks for Emby - it's really a great media center and all the apps! well done!

Q-Droid

In my experience the subtitles may be extracted from the source but not added to the converted media. The conversion extracts subrip and dvd_subtitle but not pgsub or closed captions. The final result is all languages of the right format are extracted to separate VTT or SRT files.

pwhodges

It would make sense if the conversion preserved all audio and subtitle streams, so that the same choice is available after converting.  Or at least an option to do that.

Paul

• Like 1

For the subtitles that can be converted to external text formats, that's what it does, it preserves them all, and then it marks one as default based on the user preferences of the user who started the conversion.

However, if that subtitle track would have to be burned in with transcoding, then that's the only one you'll get because how could you display additional subtitles on top of that. And also, if the user subtitle mode is set to no subtitles, then you won't get any.

• 1 year later...
Canaletto

It took me a while but I finally managed to extract a subtitle in a conversion (I also had to check "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" in the Transcoding settings).

I was wondering if it was possible to choose (change) the default audio track?

Possible? Sure it's possible. :)
I'd suggest taking a look at the requests thread to see if it's already there or start a new topic.  If you find it cast your vote.

Maybe check out both of these:

My preference below. :)