Green Screen

darrenkdean
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

darrenkdean

Good Evening!

Have been running Emby for years, stable on ubuntu server, but for go forward ease of maintenance/administration, we are attempting to switch back to Microsoft.  Have installed Emby 4.5.4.0 on Microsoft Datacenter Server 2019.

Certain Live TV Streams & certain movies, will provide audio but then display either or a black or green screen.  Having some trouble determining why.  For example, one movie played fine on an iPhone & Galaxy 10+, but green screened on a Pixel 4A.

Live Streaming Fox News for example, has a green/black screen with audio, on both a firestick & a Pixel 4A.  If I drop the stream rate to 300 kbps & force it to transcode, it plays fine.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how we can fix it?

1370821547_embyserver(1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-56bcc1a6-fe31-463c-a5c8-b7dcf62b420d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-09ae4008-2d6a-4403-bedc-537e7d49657d_1.txt

rbjtech

Are you using the Microsoft video drivers or did you install the latest intel drivers for your integrated graphics ?

Being a DC server, there might be some compatibility issues here - I presume you have installed the 'Desktop' services on the server ? (I forget what they are called now..)

darrenkdean
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Are you using the Microsoft video drivers or did you install the latest intel drivers for your integrated graphics ?

Being a DC server, there might be some compatibility issues here - I presume you have installed the 'Desktop' services on the server ? (I forget what they are called now..)

Have installed the latest Intel DCH drivers from 1/20/2021 & transcoding options are all set to Intel Quicksync.  Server 2019 was installed with the Desktop Experience.  If there is a simple fix to this, I'm happy to explore.

Highly considering upgrading to an Intel I9 with upgraded integrated graphics, so we can transcode HEVC.  For whatever reason, I've noticed that the Emby Server on ubuntu seems to be much snappier/faster on the client interface, than our current Datacenter 2019 build, so will likely swap back.  Long way of saying, no need to spend a lot of time on this on my behalf, if there isn't a relatively simple troubleshooting process for it.  You guys have a done an awesome job on this media platform & we can't imagine ever using anything different.  Happy Saturday!

Edited by darrenkdean

• Solution

@darrenkdean - Thanks for the kind words. The green screen with QuickSync MPEG2 hw decoder was a known problem with older drivers but actually it's fixed a while ago.

I'm not sure why it would have resurrected. A quick fix for this though, will be to change to the MPEG2 DX11VA Intel decoder (leaving anything else unchanged, just change the MPEG2 decoder).

Let me know how it goes!

darrenkdean
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

@darrenkdean - Thanks for the kind words. The green screen with QuickSync MPEG2 hw decoder was a known problem with older drivers but actually it's fixed a while ago.

I'm not sure why it would have resurrected. A quick fix for this though, will be to change to the MPEG2 DX11VA Intel decoder (leaving anything else unchanged, just change the MPEG2 decoder).

Let me know how it goes!

Switching to MPEG2 DX11VA did the trick.  Looking at 2x transcoding streams, D3D11VA with 5% processor utilization & 6% memory utilization.  There's hope for this 3 year old rig afterall.  Thank you!

Edited by darrenkdean