Unable to Direct Play x265 ( hevc ) videos on Emby Android App

xd003
Go to solution Solved by xd003,

As the title implies , i am unable to direct play (x265 ) hevc vidoes through the Emby android app. The emby server is hosted on Ubuntu 20 and i am using the latest emby beta v4.6.0.28

1) Allow video playback that requires transcoding

2) Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding

Currently these two options are disabled for my user as i need to direct play the hevc file but it is always failing and outputs the playback error - No compatible streams are currently available . Please try again later or contact your system administrator

I have attached the debug mode logs below . Hopefully that would help

embyserver.txt

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, does your Android device support hevc?

Yes it definitely does . I have infact played hevc vidoes through Emby in past very well . Although i can't recall what exact version of Emby Server or Emby Android app it was

Edited by xd003

On 3/2/2021 at 3:41 AM, Luke said:

Is it 10-bit hevc?

Nope , its non 10-bit hevc file

On another note , i can also reproduce this issue on Emby Stable v4.5.4.0

@Luke

Just out of curiosity , i downloaded that hevc file locally on my android which which emby was unable to direct play and tried playing it using MXplayer , it did played well although it couldn't utilise hardware decoding for some reason and was using software decoding to play the video

Now coming back to EXO ( Emby) , i am not sure how it works but hevc hardware decoding should be always prioritised but if its unable to do so for some reason , it can always fallback and use software decoding ( Google Hevc decoder // ffmpeg ) which i beleive Exo Player in Emby is unable to do in my case . One Interesting thing to note is hevc videos which i could play locally using hardware decoding in MXplayer is being played well in Emby ( Exo ) Direct play as well 

Hopefully this info along with the log file i sent would be helpful to fix this issue

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you provide a copy of the video for testing?

Surely i can , i have sent you a private message with the video link

13 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok, please try with the next update to the app (3.1.81+). Thanks.

Sure , i will wait for the update . Currently the latest version of Emby in my Play Store is v3.1.80 updated on March 10

@Luke Any ETA regarding the a android v3.1.81 and the Emby Theatre Electron update ( doesn't gets installed )

Edited by xd003

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

@LukeJust now , i tried the Android Emby v3.1.84 . Must say , really great work . I had been facing this hevc direct play issue since eternity but finally it seems to have got fixed. Now all the hevc files are able to direct play without any issue .i hope this doesn't break in future and stays like this forever xd . Cheers 

mrfragger

May I ask which container your were using?  For me any x265 or x264 always direct plays with mkv or mp4 but not m4v for instance.  I couldn't tell from the log file.

1 hour ago, mrfragger said:

May I ask which container your were using?  For me any x265 or x264 always direct plays with mkv or mp4 but not m4v for instance.  I couldn't tell from the log file.

I don't think i have any m4v file , i would have to test. I only have .mp4 and .mkv files

7 hours ago, xd003 said:

@LukeJust now , i tried the Android Emby v3.1.84 . Must say , really great work . I had been facing this hevc direct play issue since eternity but finally it seems to have got fixed. Now all the hevc files are able to direct play without any issue .i hope this doesn't break in future and stays like this forever xd . Cheers 

Thanks for the feedback !