When will the TV app have ASS Subtitles support

I have quite a lot of shows that have ASS Subtitles in them. But the problem is that when I enable them my server immediately jumps to transcoding. Which sacrifice quite a lot of video quality. I have noticed that It does not do that in the mobile version.

I had to reupload this thread since the videos i summited where in x265 and not x264 go down to see what I posted 

Edited by 513

@Luke @ebr I found a pretty big problem with the playback. (I will leave videos clips on this thread). Ok so good majority people use somewhat low end device to watch there content on. Me for example I use a Mecool KM8 tv box that's google certified. It's not the most powerful thing in the world but it gets the job done. So the first video I posted (1 Emby play back lag.mp4)

when the subtitles come in it drops most of its frames and is borderline unwatchable. But when I use MX Player (2 MX player no lag play back.mp4) (same files BTW)

it plays it just fine. What I noticed with MX player unlike Emby. It looks like it rendering those same Subtitles at a lower frame rate thus leaving the playbacks smooth and no frame drops. It also looks like when you first launch MX Player (3 MX player caches.mp4)

it creates a Cache for the subtitles but it only does this only once. Idk how difficult to emplacement a similar method into Emby. But I believe that it will solved that issue. Thank you for your time.

@ebr @Luke it starts transcoding witch is the main reason why I wanted for the tv app to support ASS subtitles. And since transcoding sacrifices way too much quality.

Edited by 513

Transcoding to the same bitrate should not sacrifice much quality.  But, does it playback smoothly in that case?

It sounds like the client hardware is not powerful enough to do everything we are asking it to do (it is also locally decoding your audio).

@Luke @ebr Yes it plays back smoothly. But what I'm asking is that is it possible to implement a method like MX Player is doing to play it back smoothly. It looks like MX Player is sacrificing some of the subtitle frame rate to play back the video smoothly.

We can possibly look into it in the future.  We are using a custom integration of a 3rd party library to handle this at this time.