Scared to run the Auto-Organize feature

nlcaragua5
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

nlcaragua5

I’m coming from a different media application.  That system renamed all my media to the same thing when using match.  There isn’t a lot of reading material on this plugin.  

I have renamed every single file by hand now, most with dates.  None have the title00 anymore, which is what caused the issue in the other.  

What I have read is the file should be descript as possible following the file/sub folder system I already use.  

What does the auto-organize do that collections and the basic system setup do? 

Do you think my files being in (example),

C:\Movies\NameofMovie\nameofmovie(1990).MKV

is that okay or am I looking at problems when I use this feature....

So far my experience has been flawless with this app.  I don’t want to push my luck but don’t want to miss out on these amazing features that aren’t present in other systems.  

Thanks in advance.  

Nick 

GrimReaper
4 hours ago, lorac said:

It isn't a great feature by any means.

Well, I suppose that depends on the usage, I find it quite useful, actually, it's one of my daily drivers. 

• Like 1

• Solution
GrimReaper
4 hours ago, nlcaragua5 said:

I would like to know what it does that collections and the standard system does not.  

Auto Organize is used on your NEW items only, it does not influence your existing file/folder structure nor does it alter your existing items (only time it does so is if you're upgrading some, with explicit permission to overwrite existing files). It monitors the folder you direct it to (Watch folder), and then manipulates those files according your setup: it might or might not create subfolder, it might or might not rename it according set pattern, it might move it or copy it to a new destination inside your library. 

Edit: I suggest you leave Transfer method as 'Copy' in the beginning, so you will always have those items in your Watch folder to revert to. Once desired results produced and you're comfortable with your setup, change it to 'Move'. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1