Ubuntu 20.04 issues with Emby Server.

Ranse

Hello ,

I have two servers running Emby. Both share same library on DS918+
Ds918+ has emby installed natively (not docker) and works fine most of the time.

The other server runs on Ubuntu 20.04 also natively (HP 800g2 mini Core I5 6500U).

I need help with Ubuntu server , since it does not work properly.

I have mounted the shares using CIFS (samba) and I can add or delete form Ubuntu Nautilus file explorer without any issues.

But from emby , I cannot , getting permission error (see the picture).

Apologies if this was covered before, but I have just started using emby.

Okay so my questions are:

1.How can I fix the issue with the permissions on Ubuntu server ?

2.Will there be  noticeable gains in terms of performance for Emby server compared to Ds918+ ?
 Ds918+ has Intel celeron J3455 - passmark  2117

HP 800g2 Mini has intel core i5 6500t - passmark 4802

3. Is it possible to sync user data across two servers ? For example user profiles , and their watchlists with current and future progress ( basically seamlessly continue watching between two)

Sorry for long post , I can provide the logs and other details if necessary .
P.S. I have Emby Premiere

image.png

mastrmind11

1) fix your permisisons.  Nautilus is not emby so that fact is moot.  there is KB article about how to do this on the forum and thousands on the internet.

2) if you are only direct playing/streaming (not transcoding) media, it makes no difference.  if you are, all-in-one NAS are garbage,  either convert your media so everyone can direct play/stream it, or invest in something that has the guts to transcode.  fyi if you divide your passmak score by 1000, thats roughly how many transcodes the server is capable of concurrently, so 🤷‍♂️

3) yes, multiple topics on here regarding that as well.

tl;dr do some homework, and post again with stuff that comes up.

37 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

1) fix your permisisons.  Nautilus is not emby so that fact is moot.  there is KB article about how to do this on the forum and thousands on the internet.

2) if you are only direct playing/streaming (not transcoding) media, it makes no difference.  if you are, all-in-one NAS are garbage,  either convert your media so everyone can direct play/stream it, or invest in something that has the guts to transcode.  fyi if you divide your passmak score by 1000, thats roughly how many transcodes the server is capable of concurrently, so 🤷‍♂️

3) yes, multiple topics on here regarding that as well.

tl;dr do some homework, and post again with stuff that comes up.

1. I have tried with NFS , but I have encountered some weird issues:
   a) unbearably slow scans about 7tb mixed content

b)  in Synology GUI there is an option for NFS settings

I have allowed clients to have RW access from whole 192.168.1.0/24 and   from Ubuntu as well 192.168.1.18, and sqash set to map all to admin,

Under ubuntu It showed as mounted , with df .

image.thumb.png.4207ecfcd04bf8e1a452e8a406505a1b.png

can't get the damn thing to work !

I have tried this :

Matched uid and gid on synology and ubuntu -- did not work
after the above, tried to run emby server under my username (not emby user) based on this post from emby community
tried to run nfs4.1 with idmapping  that too did  not work, but I am lacking the knowledge to properly implement this.

So, if you want to have it run under a user called newuser

systemctl stop emby-server
vim /usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service
Change 'User=emby' to 'User=newuser'
Save emby-server.service
chown -R newuser:newuser /var/lib/emby/
systemctl start emby-server
systemctl status emby-server

This is too did not work...

The only way I can get this working , is too allow rw access to guest account under synology share settings for media folder.

If somebody can help me out with this, I would appreciate it .

image.png

@Luke

Because by default first user in ubuntu fedora etc, has uid 1000

On Synology for some reason user uids start  from 1025, thus mismatches and folder permission issues with NFS

Emby user (on ubuntu) can read , but no rw unless it is properly matched with uid.

Emby user on NAS has no such issues.

I hope this explains my issue, can provide more info if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
alucryd

@Ranse Do you absolutely require NFS? This is one case where CIFS would be preferable due to its configurable permissions on the client side. As far as I can remember, the host side can also force permissions for newly created files and dirs.

Edited by alucryd

• 3 weeks later...
rylando

I use NFS without issue. Check both the Permissions tab and the NFS Permissons tab. I didn't have match up any IDs, but since this is a benign location, I did open up full access.

permissions.png

nfs_permissions.png

• 2 weeks later...