Can LG app play transcoded 4K HDR content with .srt without burning in subs?

premikkoci

The simple answer is yes, but playback performance will depend on a few other things.  srt subs won't make it worse, but in general, for 4K HDR playback to work, you really need to make sure that the file DirectPlays.  This means only audio formats that your TV supports (no ATMOS, TrueHD (DD+ is fine), DTS depending on your model) and no PGS subs

premikkoci

So only way to avoid burning in subtitles is direct play? No audio transcoding, no video transcoding. Basically, this means LG app might be useless in case of remote streaming 4K HDR and limited upload speed if I don't wanna mess with 2 files of the same movie. Am I correct?

Can this be change in the future or it only depends on LG?

Edited by premikkoci

Happy2Play

Overall remote playing 4K media will have issues in Every client as the odds are it will require Transcoding.  Why does it matter if 4K is transcoding already about burn in subtitles?

Sure with Tone Mapping in the next server release this will assist with the HDR to SDR conversion that happens when transcoded.

premikkoci

The only issue i have is with LG TV. Mac, iOS, Shield can play tone mapped HDR with subtitles without burning in. Unfortunately my NAS is not powerful enough to burn in subtitles and my internet connection is capable of 2-3 remote direct plays and sometimes transcoding is needed due to its limitation. 

28 minutes ago, premikkoci said:

So only way to avoid burning in subtitles is direct play? No audio transcoding, no video transcoding. Basically, this means LG app might be useless in case of remote streaming 4K HDR and limited upload speed if I don't wanna mess with 2 files of the same movie. Am I correct?

Not really correct.  srt will work, that is not a problem.

Regardless of subtitles, 4K HDR playback in general will only work well if there is no audio or video transcoding.  This is not an issue with subtitles specifically, it is the ability to convert and stream these higher bitrate files to the TV client.

premikkoci

I owe you an apology. Emby LG app is capable of playing a transcoded and tone mapped movie without burning in subtitles. Unfortunately embedded srt subtitles seems to not showing up at all but external .srt work fine.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

So this is a issue with internal vs external srt files, correct?   

I don't know about the app itself but do know that the server identifies these differently (subrip vs srt).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/91730-tv-show-subtitles-issue/&do=findComment&comment=947261

@SamES is that the case here also?  Or just the device expectation of what can be internal vs external in specific containers?

premikkoci

I can't say because subrip subtitles don't display at all  (no subtitles) and have no idea what is the reason behind that. When external srt are used, subtitles are displayed and transcoded and tone mapped stream works pretty good. My main concern is to avoid burning in subtitles because my NAS CPU is not powerful enough to do so

12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So this is a issue with internal vs external srt files, correct?   

I don't know about the app itself but do know that the server identifies these differently (subrip vs srt).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/91730-tv-show-subtitles-issue/&do=findComment&comment=947261

@SamES is that the case here also?  Or just the device expectation of what can be internal vs external in specific containers?

There shouldn't be any issues with playing subrip or srt without any transcoding