Set up a Domain or Repair WAN update?

Justus

Hello,
I have been using emby via the http port for a few weeks now without any problems, even from external. Unfortunately, in the last few days it often happened that the server was shown as offline when accessed externally. This is due to the fact that the configured server in the Emby app on the smartphone, FireTV stick or via the app.emby.media link no longer automatically updates the WAN IP address. Since it is really annoying to send a new IP address for every external access every day I wanted to ask you for help with the following possibilities. 

1. fix the automatic update. Can you somehow configure that as soon as a server is set up, e.g. the current WAN is entered externally and you are connected to the server once so that it is saved, then it is automatically updating again? 

2. access via domain. Since my server is only accessible via http and not via https I wanted to change this. I already have a domain at Servado. Unfortunately I find 0 tutorials on how I can use this for my Emby server. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the DNS and SSL stuff and would therefore be grateful for a step by step guide. I have a mydomain.de address for which I have no SSL certificate. Do I have to somehow get an SSL certificate and then download or something? And then I have to tell the domain somehow that when you click on the address that should direct me to my server. And can the domain then also automatically update the new IP addresses? I heard you need somehow a domain provider that offers Dynamic DNS. I do not know if mine can. Doesn't app.emby.media also work as a dynamic dns? Can I maybe connect this address to my domain? 

Edited by Justus

mastrmind11

you can also set your router to update a ddns service like dnsomatic.com so when your IP changes it gets updated automatically on ddns.  since you already have a domain set up, you can easily stick cloudflare in front of everything too.  lots of articles on how to do this on the google and on here.  if you get stuck, ask here for help.

As I said, I'm not familiar with it, unfortunately, but to understand it correctly.
My router should send the daily changing WAN address to dnsomatic.com, which then sends the address to cloudflare, which is connected to my domain? And then what does my domain do with this information? Don't I have to somehow tell my domain to access my server beforehand?

38 minutes ago, Justus said:

As I said, I'm not familiar with it, unfortunately, but to understand it correctly.
My router should send the daily changing WAN address to dnsomatic.com, which then sends the address to cloudflare, which is connected to my domain? And then what does my domain do with this information? Don't I have to somehow tell my domain to access my server beforehand?

Hi.  A domain name is like a phone book entry.  When you put that in your browser, it goes and looks up the proper address.  Your router keeps the "phone book" up to date so that it just works.

pwhodges

The use of a domain name is independent of using https with a certificate, but you can't do https without a domain.  You can take it in steps.

Paul

3 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

you can also set your router to update a ddns service like dnsomatic.com so when your IP changes it gets updated automatically on ddns.  since you already have a domain set up, you can easily stick cloudflare in front of everything too.  lots of articles on how to do this on the google and on here.  if you get stuck, ask here for help.

Okay, I still have two questions. What exactly do I need dnsomatic for? Can' t I just connect OpenDNS, DynDNS etc. directly to my router? And what do I need Cloudflare for? What do I need there and what do I have to set up?

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, Justus said:

Okay, I still have two questions. What exactly do I need dnsomatic for? Can' t I just connect OpenDNS, DynDNS etc. directly to my router? And what do I need Cloudflare for? What do I need there and what do I have to set up?

you dont if you already have a ddns service somewhere, you didn't mention that you did and i use dnsomatic so i recommended that.  you also don't need cloudflare, just makes it simpler since you can get an ssl cert from them for free.  but if you already use dyndns and thats where your domain name comes from, then yes you can just point your router to them for auto update when your wan ip changes.

Edited by mastrmind11