Upcoming tv episodes do not update when air dates are pushed back.

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

I love the upcoming tv episodes feature in Emby, quite frankly, I couldn't go without.

As been discussed a number of time, its is not 100% perfect and I humbly suggest an improvement to rid an annoyance.

In my morning routine I fire it up to go hunting for "yesterday's upcomings", and once in a while, I realize the show has in fact not aired last night.

It is important at this point to use refresh metadata/search missing on those false positive missing episodes, as this will usually update the air date of the episode. To validate, I refresh upcoming page, and in most cases, the show will be updated with a new, future air date. It will therefore disappear from "yesterday's upcomings", and reappear once the newly updated air date approach. 

As a result of not doing this step, Emby will not display the episode ever again, as in when it actually airs for real.

Emby displays upcoming episodes about a week in advance, so it "holding on" to this info somewhere.

I'm thinking if Emby could automatically refresh "metadata/search for missing..." for upcoming episodes, say, about 2 days before what it already holds as next air date.

There would be less false positives and less risk of missing said episodes. 

TV schedules can change for a number or reasons, especially in this uncertain era,, obviously, that's not Emby's fault. But it can improve its handling of "last-minute postponements"

Better is the enemy of good.

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Correct as Emby is not continuously querying provider sites, Upcoming comes for existing cached provider metadata.  So the only time a new update for a series is gotten is when a item is added or you change something in said series or you are Refreshing items.

Only other possible solution is "After the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet" but personally think that is to much spamming providers and does not resolve the issue if something changes on provider site within that refresh cycle.

But in the end it all depends on what info TVDB have for the Series as I know there are series that show the entire season lineup and some only show the next episode.  So where do you draw the line on spamming?  

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick

Take a serie season that starts in January and you add episode #1, Emby grabs eta of episodes #2 to #12 and its job is done.

Even under normal circumstances, those future episodes air dates might change.

In these crazy covid time, you can bet future air date will change.

Hence my suggestion that when Emby sees an approaching air date, it would be well advised to refresh md.

Sure, I can do that manually by myself, but it sure would be smart if Emby didn't assume the info it got 2 months ago is still relevant.

But, as Happy pointed out, "an approaching air date" is likely to be every day or even multiple times a day.  At what point do we draw the line on constantly asking the metadata providers for the same information over and over?  We have a responsibility for our app to not cause severe traffic to these sites.  Also, we don't want constant refreshing dragging down server performance.

Some sort of periodic refresh is a possibility but this has to be carefully designed and considered.

Thanks.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

This is basically the same request as this more encompassing one:

Yes, I agree it is somewhat similar.

If Emby will not do it automatically, users will do it manually.

The devil is in the detail (how many times, at which rate, etc).

Emby library options offer to enable this, but I doubt its working as I too had series or movie with actors count that went from 2 to 25 after manual refresh MD.

Those I had in Emby for years and yes, I scan library & refreshed MD (library wide also) countless time with nothing to show for it.

CharleyVarrick
36 minutes ago, ebr said:

But, as Happy pointed out, "an approaching air date" is likely to be every day or even multiple times a day.  At what point do we draw the line on constantly asking the metadata providers for the same information over and over?  We have a responsibility for our app to not cause severe traffic to these sites.  Also, we don't want constant refreshing dragging down server performance.

Some sort of periodic refresh is a possibility but this has to be carefully designed and considered.

Thanks.

It should be technically feasible to have a new field in series or movie detail page that shows date of last successful refresh metadata.

Emby could use it to set wether to leave it alone or try an update. No refresh on top of yesterday's  this way

As for "carefully designed and considered", isn't that true for most if not all changes. 😀

2 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

that shows date of last successful refresh metadata.

Emby could use it to set wether to leave it alone or try an update. No refresh on top of yesterday's  this way

I don't understand how that solves your problem of the data changing on the back end?  The metadata refreshes are almost always successful but that doesn't have any impact on or knowledge of changes that occur later in a separate system...

CharleyVarrick
On 2/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, ebr said:

The metadata refreshes are almost always successful

True for individual movie or individual episodes.

My experience with whole series not so much...

On a library wide basis, I doubt it has ever worked.

EDIT:

As for your question which I forgot to answer;

I am guessing if Emby would know the last time it refreshed an episode, it could more easily and likely by itself trigger a refresh of that** episode that's airing soon, and only when required***.

Another benefit I forgot to mention is there would be less "why has this episode aired last night without Emby displaying it in yesterday's Upcoming"

Less false positive and less false negative.

**refreshing a single episode once, 2 days before air time should fall within acceptable provider parameter

*** implies to not refresh a soon to air episode when its been updated the day before.

Edited by jlr19